Equipment: Advice on Skates for Recreational Use(First Purchase)

Newblet

Nov 8, 2018
Hey all!

Back again as this time I've been able to raise my budget since last year. My budget is now ~$250.

I'm a beginner Ice Skater who just wants to have fun on the ice and not do anything too serious. I have extremely wide and flat feet (All the way on the end of "EE" in Bauer's 3D Scan) and according to the scan, I am size 7.0 and fit a Vapor skate. After going in store to try skates though, this was definitely not the case. Below is what I've tried and my results with them:

• Bauer Vapor X2.7 6.5EE: Width is actually comfortable. Toes don't touch the end at all. No heel or ankle sliding at all. However, way too tight around my ankle bone as if it's digging in and causing pain.
  • Bauer Supreme S27 6.0EE: Width is good (practically same as Vapor EE). Toes STILL don't touch the end at all. No heel or ankle sliding. However, a fair bit of pain on the top part of my foot (Right above my arch and the top-side of my ankle joint area(?)) when bending my knees and pain right below the ankle bone/joint when transferring weight from side to side.
  • Bauer Supreme S27 6.5D: Width is a tad bit too small where I can feel my pinky-toe curling in. Toes of course don't touch the end. No heel or ankle sliding and the pain I had in the Vapor 6.5EE and Supreme 6.0EE weren't there at all. There was still a small bit of discomfort when bending forward aggressively and also when transferring weight from side to side, but I wouldn't call it painful.
  • Bauer Supreme S27 7.0EE: The most comfortable of the bunch. Same as everything above but minus discomfort. Only problem is my ankle / calves(?) are too small and it definitely was not wrapping around enough, causing my ankles to feel extremely wobbly inside the skate. This wobble caused the person helping me to not recommend them as they will possibly get wider with break-in and use.
  • Bauer Nexus N7000 6.0EE: Similar comfort levels to the Supreme 7.0EE but even more ankle wobble.
Okay so.. Due to the tightness of lacing, my feet weren't sliding or slipping around at all even with no toe contact to the end of the skate. I believe a Supreme 6.5EE would be perfect for me, but they didn't have it in stock for me to try out. Unfortunately they don't (and won't) stock CCM skates.
With all the information above, I have these questions:

1. Are Bauer Supreme S25/S27 similarly sized to the CCM Tacks 9060?
  2. Would you consider the CCM Tacks 9060 to be above the Bauer Supreme S25 in terms of quality?
  3. I was told by the person serving me that it's almost pointless or not recommended to bake the S25's, which might be another reason to go for the Tacks (which I heard is bakeable). Is this true?
  4. Finally: Is it normal that no matter what skate I'm in (other than plastic rental skates), my ankles feel wobbly inside the skates when standing, walking, transferring weight, etc? I don't have ankle strength developed yet and I think this is a contributing factor.
My local store is charging $250 + Shipping fee (To get it transferred across states) for the S25 model in a 6.5EE size, which is more basic than the S27 I was trying on. However, I can get a 6.5EE pair of CCM Tacks 9060's for $250 + Shipping online. The online return policy is good and I am able to get the size swapped out as long as I pay the ~$10 return shipping fee.

I'm happy to provide pictures of my scan. Unfortunately local store didn't know how to save the scan online so I only have pictures. I also have my feet measurement + ratio if necessary!

Do you think I should go with the Tacks or stay safe and get the S25's ordered in? Sorry for all the questions and thank you everyone for all the help.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
I'm no fitter, but based on the above I would think a Supreme 6.5 EE would be the way to go, whether that be the S25 or S27.

If you're willing to spend a little more and not buy from your local store, Hockey Monkey has the S29's in a 6.5 EE, if they don't fit you can send them back.

Bauer Supreme S29 Senior Ice Hockey Skates Senior Ice Hockey Skates Hockey Skates Equipment

In my opinion you'll spend a little more now but you'll get a better skate that will last longer. I had a pair of Nexus 5000's that started to break down after a few years, found the 7000's (same model two steps higher) on clearance and they are still going strong. The quality of the materials is just better. That little bit extra to me is worth it considering you making a purchase of an item you'll likely use for many years.

Reactions: Newblet

Newblet

Nov 8, 2018
I'm no fitter, but based on the above I would think a Supreme 6.5 EE would be the way to go, whether that be the S25 or S27.

If you're willing to spend a little more and not buy from your local store, Hockey Monkey has the S29's in a 6.5 EE, if they don't fit you can send them back.

Bauer Supreme S29 Senior Ice Hockey Skates Senior Ice Hockey Skates Hockey Skates Equipment

In my opinion you'll spend a little more now but you'll get a better skate that will last longer. I had a pair of Nexus 5000's that started to break down after a few years, found the 7000's (same model two steps higher) on clearance and they are still going strong. The quality of the materials is just better. That little bit extra to me is worth it considering you making a purchase of an item you'll likely use for many years.
Hey Bruin! Thanks for all the info. I am definitely thinking that the Supreme 6.5EE would be the way to go. Although in a reddit comment (I also posted this question there), someone mentioned that the 6.0EE might be better as it would break in enough after a few months for the explained pain to go away. But a few months of that pain seems very daunting..

Unfortunately I live in Australia and my budget is $250 AUD. The S29's here will cost me $600 + Shipping in AUD which is definitely out of my budget, but it's something I will still keep in consideration!

Reactions: BruinDust

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Hey Bruin! Thanks for all the info. I am definitely thinking that the Supreme 6.5EE would be the way to go. Although in a reddit comment (I also posted this question there), someone mentioned that the 6.0EE might be better as it would break in enough after a few months for the explained pain to go away. But a few months of that pain seems very daunting..

Unfortunately I live in Australia and my budget is $250 AUD. The S29's here will cost me $600 + Shipping in AUD which is definitely out of my budget, but it's something I will still keep in consideration!

Check Sideline Swap as well. You might find what your looking for there.

SidelineSwap | Buy and sell sports equipment: Hockey, Lacrosse, Baseball, Ski and more.

Best of luck in your search.

Reactions: Newblet

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad