Status
Not open for further replies.

Bad News Benning

Fallin for Dahlin?
Jan 11, 2003
Victoria
Visit site
For the Canucks:

Goalie: Hannu Toivonen - he's close to NHL ready, and the Nucks need a goalie like that with Schneider 4 or 5 years away, and Cloutiers future up in the air.

Defense: Denis Grebeshkov - truly underrated defenseman, and is improving his offensive game. A great partner to play with Koltsov in Vancouver for a while.

Forward: Dustin Brown, good fit with the Sedins, and finally a PF prospect the Canucks have been lacking for years.

kimzey59

Aug 16, 2003
St. Louis Blues(slight disagreement with bluebleeder):

Goalie: Lehtonen. There isn't a true need in this area but if we wanted to improve it we could use an immediate impact starter. Lehtonen fits that description better than anybody else.

Defense: Borris Valabik. The Blues don't need any immediate help on D(Jax, Backman, Salvador, Pronger, Khavanov, Weinrich and Walker are all locked up for a while and we have Stuart, Byrne, and Wideman nearly NHL ready) so Valabik would have time to mature. Once fully matured(if he reaches his full potential) he would be able to anchor our D after the departure of Pronger.

Offense: Nick Zherdev. Yes, the Blues need a Top Flight winger, but we need an IMMEDIATE impact RW To play with Tkachuk and Cajanek on our top line(no, that isn't a typeo). We have a few guys ready to fill our 2nd line spots(DiSalvatore, Sejna, Glumac) with Weight(and another couple almost there(Shkotov, Hemmingway, Zakharov)) but our top line needs another wing.

CH Wizard

C: Evgeny Malkin , We need a skilled center with decent or more size to replace Koivu soon ;).Malkin could be a great fit there.

D: Ryan Suter , We need a d who can put the puck in the net period .

G: Kari Lehtonen , We need a top 5 goalie who will maybe steal N#1 goalie spot form theo (A franchise goalie).

Fighter

Jan 1, 2004
Trieste, Italy
G - hard to tell, the Ducks have Giguere in the crease and Bryz waiting to step up for the big club. Anyway after them the team haven't a real goalie prospect (except Bouthilette) so the need is someone very young who can play well and carry the team in the playoffs: there are A LOT of obvious names (Lehtonen, Fleury and so on) so I'm going with a outsider who has shown abilities in stepping up in important moments, David Shantz

D - With Smid, Smith etc the Ducks have fixed the large hole they had before the draft but still no one knows if Smid will turn in a top pairing d-man (I think so btw) or a second pairing one, so here I have to go with a safe choice and one of my favourite guys on the 2003, Ryan Suter: not the biggest guy on the ice, but a physical presence and great offensive skills (basically what everyone needs from a 1# d-man)

F - The Ducks have trouble scoring goals, but also sometimes allow too much. Getzlaf can turn either in a 1st line or in 2nd line center (in this case with more defensive responsibilities) So what? With Lupul, Chistov, Perry, Holmqvist and Smirnov I think the Ducks have a good core of young wings and for now we need more a creative center than an all around one (another fav of mine, Rostislav Olesz) so here we go with Evgeny Malkin.

Epsilon

#basta
Oct 26, 2002
South Cackalacky
For the Red Wings:

Center: A lot of fans refuse to admit it, but the loss of Sergei Fedorov has been dearly felt where it matters (playoff time). Evgeni Malkin has been described by scouts as a cross between Joe Sakic and Joe Thornton, which is the closest any prospect out there comes to filling that hole.

Defense: Niklas Lidstrom won't play forever, and while the Red Wings have several decent young defensemen (Fischer, Kronwall, etc.) none of them can be described as "all-rounders". The best such prospect defenseman out there, in my opinion, is Ryan Suter.

Goaltending: I simply refuse to mess around here. Kari Lehtonen is the easy, clear choice at the most important position.

Barnaby

Jul 2, 2003
Port Jefferson, NY
For The Rangers:

G: Al Montoya - bit of a homer pick... didn't want to take the extremely obvious Lehtonen. Montoya should be a big game goalie just like Richter was, and represent America for many years in world competitions.

D: Jack Johnson - An intelligent American defenseman who would be a cornerstone for years to come. He does it all, and would be a solid replacement for the departed Leetcher feature.

If this wouldn't be among the elite young defenses within 3-4 years then I don't know what would be...

Johnson-TBD (preferably strong vet)
Tyutin - Kondratiev
Pock - Lampman/Taylor/Liffiton

F: Sid Crosby - Gives the Rangers that #1 center to build around. I'll take him over Ovechkin because I think the Rangers could use a North American franchise player.

stardog

Been on HF so long my Myspace link is part of my p
Oct 31, 2003
www.myspace.com
Pens4ever said:
I'm not going to pick the obvious guys here...

For Goalie, I'd add Marek Schwarz. He'll have no pressure to develop quickly, and if he develops as he should he'd be a great goalie.

On Defense, I'd like to add Kiril Koltsov. His pure offensive skill would fit well with our future top-4. Whitney and Welch both have two way skills, Orpik is more defensive, adding an offensive guy like him would fit well i think.

As for forwards, I'd add Eric Fehr. The Pens need a top RW prospect, and Fehr certainly is that. His chemistry with current Pens prospect Ryan Stone (They are 1-2 in WHL scoring) makes this pick a pretty easy one.
Zherdev over Fehr quite easily in my book with the addition of Malkin. No contest as that would be a much better 1-2 punch IMO.
I'd also throw my hat into the ring for Blake Wheeler as I look for great things from him down the road (whether he is under or over rated is the debate).

I also find it humorous that Brooks Orpik was said to be looking like a bust from a poster (you know who you are) who claims to be quite knowledgable, yet I am seeing his name quite frequently on this list.
A young D man Id like to see on the Pens is Hamhuis, but I would REALLY like to see Babchuk as I would trade Whitney for him straight up (and wanted the Pens to get him instaed of Whitney despite draft status).
A sleeper would be Nashvilles Janne Niskalla although he is older. He has offense to burn. And of course any of Suter, Coburn or Phaneuf would be nice (damn Nashville has some nice defensive prospect depth and top end depth IMO).

Last edited:

Jeff Goldblum

Apr 19, 2002
Visit site
stardog said:
Zherdev over Fehr quite easily in my book with the addition of Malkin. No contest as that would be a much better 1-2 punch IMO.

Obviously...but I was picking lesser profile players. It got a little boring seeing 'Ovechkin, Phaneuf, Lehtonen' and players like them (Zherdev), so I went with something that required a bit more thinking.

stardog

Oct 31, 2003
www.myspace.com
Pens4ever said:
Obviously...but I was picking lesser profile players. It got a little boring seeing 'Ovechkin, Phaneuf, Lehtonen' and players like them (Zherdev), so I went with something that required a bit more thinking.
Good call. Thats why I kind of posted both types as well. Id love to have Fehr but Zherdev....he is going to be a top 3 offensive guy in this league IMO. Of course according to some, and despite him never setting foot in the NHL the other 2 will be Crosby. :)

Mac225

Jul 20, 2004
vancouver
for Canucks

G-Kari Lehtonen- The canucks have always been weak in goal, but Lehtonen is a sure fire starter

D-Cam Barker- It was either going to be him or Phaneuf, phaneuf is a crease clearing D-man kind of what we need, but Barker fits the system more in the offence way.

F-Sidney Crosby or Gilbert Brule- the nucks dont have any first line guys in thier system mostly 3rd or 2nd liners, but with either one of them we finnaly get the franchise Centre man and a All star player.

stardog

Oct 31, 2003
www.myspace.com
Mac225 said:
for Canucks

G-Kari Lehtonen- The canucks have always been weak in goal, but Lehtonen is a sure fire starter

D-Cam Barker- It was either going to be him or Phaneuf, phaneuf is a crease clearing D-man kind of what we need, but Barker fits the system more in the offence way.

F-Sidney Crosby or Gilbert Brule- the nucks dont have any first line guys in thier system mostly 3rd or 2nd liners, but with either one of them we finnaly get the franchise Centre man and a All star player.
Good choices all...my personal preference is that both of this years top 2 (AO and Malkin) will be better than Brule. Especialy AO.

FlyersFan10*

For the Flyers:

Goalie - Ilya Bryzgalov - Impressive showing at the World Cup Tournament. Big, agile goalie covers a lot of ground.

Defense - Anton Babchuck - Probably the crown jewel in the Blackhawks organization. A pairing of Babchuck and Pitkanen would be something for years to come.

Forward - Zach Parise - Another Mike Richards type of center, so good offensively, people often forget he's just as good defensively. Can be a top centerman on any team in the league. Just oozes overall talent and ability.

thrashers=cup05

May 27, 2004
My favorite team is Atlanta

G: anyone who will not strain a groin or just keep Lehtinen. *lowers head and thinks of Damien Rhodes*

F: Rick Nash come on how cool would it be to have him on a line with Kovy and Slater or Stephan.

D: Phanufe. hear nothing but good things about this guy. Plus Phanufe, Exelby, Corburn, and Valabik. That could hurt literaly.

Sum

Nov 16, 2003
St Etienne, France
Visit site
For NJ:

- Schneider or LeNeveu would fit pretty well IMO. Otherwise I'd say Toivonen but he seems to be too close to the NHL with Brodeur who's already in the organization.

- Defense: Phaneuf. Obvious... With Stevens who's going to leave soon, Phaneuf is the perfect substitute: hard-hitting, leadership, good shot...

- Forward: Zherdev. Associated with Parise and Suglobov, it'd be a pretty nice line. :amazed:

markov`

Feb 23, 2003
Top 2 in the world
Visit site
If I had to add one prospect to the Montreal's list, it would be Anthony Stewart. To think we could have picked him instead of Kostitsyn... :shakehead I really love Andrei, but Stewart is going to become a feared powerforward in the NHL.

MrMastodonFarm*

Jul 5, 2004
markov` said:
If I had to add one prospect to the Montreal's list, it would be Anthony Stewart. To think we could have picked him instead of Kostitsyn... :shakehead I really love Andrei, but Stewart is going to become a feared powerforward in the NHL.
I see alot of Jarome Iginla in Stewart...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad