Value of: Adam Pelech

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
Out of curiosity, what’s your backing for the add being on the Avs side?
Pelech being the way more experienced defenseman with deep playoff runs and experience. You know exactly what he is. You’re getting a 20+ min top4 shutdown defensman. Hes also signed long term to a reasonable cap hit that would be good for the AVS

Byrum has the higher ceiling but it’s still unknown if he reaches that.

The add wasn’t too significant. The rights to Behrens is a risk because he could choose not to sign.
That’s the reason I didn’t ask for Ritchie or Gulyayev.

Reactions: Glorydays22

Perratrooper

May 26, 2016
Alberta
Pelech being the way more experienced defenseman with deep playoff runs and experience. You know exactly what he is. You’re getting a 20+ min top4 shutdown defensman. Hes also signed long term to a reasonable cap hit that would be good for the AVS

Byrum has the higher ceiling but it’s still unknown if he reaches that.

The add wasn’t too significant. The rights to Behrens is a risk because he could choose not to sign.
That’s the reason I didn’t ask for Ritchie or Gulyayev.

Not saying the add is significant, more just trying to get an understanding of why you think the value is on the Isles side rather than the Avs.

Pelech has been the less healthy of the two this year, is averaging less ice time, is 7 years older and is paid $1.9m more albeit on a longer contract. Their possession metrics are fairly comparable between the two and while Pelech is clearly better defensively, I wonder if the gap is larger than the offensive gap between the two.

Obviously this is likely a differing opinion from fan to fan, but I believe Byram is the more valuable of the two assets as of right now.

Hobnobs

Pinko
Nov 29, 2011
Not saying the add is significant, more just trying to get an understanding of why you think the value is on the Isles side rather than the Avs.

Pelech has been the less healthy of the two this year, is averaging less ice time, is 7 years older and is paid $1.9m more albeit on a longer contract. Their possession metrics are fairly comparable between the two and while Pelech is clearly better defensively, I wonder if the gap is larger than the offensive gap between the two.

Obviously this is likely a differing opinion from fan to fan, but I believe Byram is the more valuable of the two assets as of right now.

Im not a fan of either of the teams involved and I can say that Pelech is the more valuable atm. Both are outperforming their contracts imo but Pelechs experience and defense is just way above for what Byram brings to a contender.

Reactions: WangMustGo

Perratrooper

May 26, 2016
Alberta
On a serious note, you think that Pelech for Byram is an even swap (without anything added in)?

In my opinion it’s probably pretty close to even and both sides would probably grumble it it were 1 for 1.

However from the Avs side they would likely prefer to land a center over a top 4 LHD. So while I would love Pelech on the Avs, unless the Isles I don’t think the Avs have the available assets to trade for him.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland

Honestly wouldn’t stop me from making a deal if it was straight up.

Reactions: Perratrooper

miscs75

Jul 2, 2014
In my opinion it’s probably pretty close to even and both sides would probably grumble it it were 1 for 1.

However from the Avs side they would likely prefer to land a center over a top 4 LHD. So while I would love Pelech on the Avs, unless the Isles I don’t think the Avs have the available assets to trade for him.
The issue with the deal is that what the Islanders are losing is a bigger loss than what Byram makes up for. Pelech is a much better defender in his own zone and Byram is another offensive defenseman that wouldn’t sniff top PP time with how Dobson has progressed. Personally if I’m Lou, I’m moving Aho and Mayfield. Then using that void to play Bolduc/Reilly/Bortuzzo (when he’s healthy) to finish off the season and moving on from there.
On another note, Pageau could be available for the right return of picks/expiring contracts.

Reactions: Perratrooper

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
Pelech is interesting. When I watch him I see a good defensive defenseman. His analytics however have always been bad and are horrible this year. Why the disconnect between my viewings and his analytics?

Kevin27NYI

Aug 5, 2009
Pelech is interesting. When I watch him I see a good defensive defenseman. His analytics however have always been bad and are horrible this year. Why the disconnect between my viewings and his analytics?
He's been injured this year, my opinion is his not fully recovered from the wrist injury and it's impacting his play. Don't see it as a long term issue but just playing because the team needs points.

Holden Caufield

Oct 9, 2020
Ontario
There are Leaf fans that would actually consider a trade centered around Marner and Pelech ?

I understand trading for need. But that’s just wild and completely ignoring value. Put some respect on Marner. Geez.

Jared Dunn

Dec 23, 2013
Yellowknife
Analytics being very possession driven are often not very friendly towards defensive D whose strengths are mostly without the puck

There are Leaf fans that would actually consider a trade centered around Marner and Pelech ?

I understand trading for need. But that’s just wild and completely ignoring value. Y’all don’t deserve Mitch anymore.
He'd be an amazing fit for Toronto but yeah they're not in the same stratosphere

miscs75

Jul 2, 2014

I understand trading for need. But that’s just wild and completely ignoring value. Put some respect on Marner. Geez.
Toronto however won’t take back equal cap in return to make that deal happen. It would have to include one of Palmieri or Pageau in addition to Pelech. Plus trading for Marner without an agreement on an extension of some sort would just be utter stupidity.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad