Former Bruins Adam McQuaid

Status
Not open for further replies.

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA
I agree. Lucic over the last year or so has just been mailing it in physically. Doesn't nearly have the same bite he did...

People have been saying Lucic's game has dropped physically "over the least year" for like six years straight.

People's nostalgia for his image leads to believing he is a way more effective player than he actually is. And to things like he's been "off this year".

The guy came into the league and was a ridiculous physical force for two to three years. He was hammering away on literally every shift. Then he became more of a goal scoring/power forward player. Then his goal scoring dried up (league continues to get faster) and now he is neither. Not really his fault in either situation. He could not handle the physical toll on his body of the first few years for his entire career, and the game is getting too fast for him.

As far as Adam McQuaid - I like him as a 7th defenseman, but Gryz is clearly the better option when healthy. You roll with Chara, Carlo, Miller, McAvoy, Griz and Holden IMO.

TCB

Dec 15, 2017
North Of The Border
I thought Adam had a good game last night. Love seeing him out there.

Last night. I agree he had a strong game, with a strong net front presence defensively.

He brings the Nasty and intimidation factor with him, along with good solid all around defensive play. He's old school. Clears the crease, blocks shots, doesn't take crap from anyone or let his teammates be taken advantage of and most importantly he knows when to engage and when not too.

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO
I see no reason why McQuaid can't be part of a four or five man rotation with Miller, Holden, Carlo, and even Grizz. One guy sits every five games. Quaider is not a downgrade at all. He is equal with these guys and brings some solid intangibles to the game. Not sure why he is the odd man out. He is loved in that room and he can still play.
I don't think anyone thinks he is a downgrade, it's just a little redundant to have Chara, Miller and McQuaid in there at the same time (heck, even add Carlo to that list). Obviously Chara isn't sitting and Miller/Carlo are better skaters so they will normally play over him. I'm curious to see what they do come playoff time because that's when McQuaid really shines.

Never a bad issue to have too many good Dmen.

JP Nolan

Sep 28, 2017
The defense looked OK last night. Carlo was solid. Still like to see him more active in front of the net attacking guys who make a home there...McQuaid was good last night as was Chara. GRYZ was outstanding.....

Not sure we can go all the way without McAvoy.

SImpelton

Mar 1, 2018
I'm kinda sad with the condition Quaider is in. Honestly think he could be a mid pairing defenseman on some teams, but our defense is very good right now and he's crowded out.

Wouldn't be too surprised to see him traded in the offseason to a team who needed a little more nasty on their blue line. Happens sometimes with veterans whose skillset is a bit redundant on his own team. There's probably half a dozen teams that need Quaider more than we do right now. If one of them has something we need, he's probably gone to be honest, not his fault either, just business.

WhalerTurnedBruin55

Fading out, thanks for the times.
Oct 31, 2008
I'm kinda sad with the condition Quaider is in. Honestly think he could be a mid pairing defenseman on some teams, but our defense is very good right now and he's crowded out.

Wouldn't be too surprised to see him traded in the offseason to a team who needed a little more nasty on their blue line. Happens sometimes with veterans whose skillset is a bit redundant on his own team. There's probably half a dozen teams that need Quaider more than we do right now. If one of them has something we need, he's probably gone to be honest, not his fault either, just business.
Not a good team.

Not a knock on him, he's a bottom pair defenseman, and a damn good one, but questionably might not even be our best bottom pair RD. There's no way he should be in the top 4 of a good team. We struggled for consistency when he was our only option in the middle pair.

This said, our defense has come a long way since we traded Boychuk away.

Reactions: Thrive

mjhfb

Easier from up here
Dec 19, 2016
A thousand miles from nowhere
Not a good team.

Not a knock on him, he's a bottom pair defenseman, and a damn good one, but questionably might not even be our best bottom pair RD. There's no way he should be in the top 4 of a good team. We struggled for consistency when he was our only option in the middle pair.

This said, our defense has come a long way since we traded Boychuk away.

You may be right, but he is very hard to play against, which a few of the other B's defenseman could learn from.

Reactions: Thrive and Ladyfan

WhalerTurnedBruin55

Fading out, thanks for the times.
Oct 31, 2008
You may be right, but he is very hard to play against, which a few of the other B's defenseman could learn from.
I don't disagree with you.

He is what he is. For better or worse. It will be interesting what direction the team decides to go with him past this season.

whatsbruin

Feb 27, 2002
Central, NY
The defense looked OK last night. Carlo was solid. Still like to see him more active in front of the net attacking guys who make a home there...McQuaid was good last night as was Chara. GRYZ was outstanding.....

Not sure we can go all the way without McAvoy.
Didn't see the game, so Carlo may have been solid, but I watched the high lights, and I think in the 3rd period there was a play were he drifted over to Chara's side again, while Philly was
on the rush, and left his man wide open and he got the pass and a great chance on Rask. Really needs to cut that out.

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy and Quaider. Welcome back Looch!
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
Agreed, Ladyfan. He made smart decisions with the puck all night and had more than a few hits that ended Flyers possession.
Great to see you back next to the B's bench!
Thanks. I hope to make all the rest of the games :crossfing

How's things in NS ?

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
I don't disagree with you.

He is what he is. For better or worse. It will be interesting what direction the team decides to go with him past this season.

I hope they keep him unless they have something to use his cap space on.

Paying a D-man 2.75 million to not be a regular every day player isn't ideal, but with the way the B's contracts are structured for the D-corps, it's not a major issue.

Trade him in the off-season and they'll likely have to trade for another depth RD at the deadline next year, much like Holden, likely cancelling out whatever it was they gained in the trade in the off-season.

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy and Quaider. Welcome back Looch!
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench

I disagree. I hope Adam stays

Reactions: Thrive and dafoomie

SImpelton

Mar 1, 2018
I disagree. I hope Adam stays

I feel like McQuaid deserves to be playing every day, he's good enough, he can't break in here because we're already very deep.

I hope they keep him unless they have something to use his cap space on.

Paying a D-man 2.75 million to not be a regular every day player isn't ideal, but with the way the B's contracts are structured for the D-corps, it's not a major issue.

Trade him in the off-season and they'll likely have to trade for another depth RD at the deadline next year, much like Holden, likely cancelling out whatever it was they gained in the trade in the off-season.

Depends on what they're offered. If there's no slam dunk offers there's no reason not to keep McQuaid, but he has a good reputation as a heavyweight defenseman and fighter, and I could see some teams being interested in generating a stronger team identity on D, wanting to pick up a guy with a mean streak who could add some personality and punch to their defense.

Basically, I feel like McQuaid has some sneaky leadership potential, similar to what we got Shawn Thornton for. That's a reason to keep him, unless we've already got 7 good defensemen and someone makes a strong offer.

If we do, and we move McQuaid for something like a third round pick to clear cap space for an addition at forward or some other need, I doubt it will be very hard to sign a veteran RD with some life left in him, there's usually a few of those bouncing around at any given time. the only reason to hold onto a part time player f0r 2.75m cap hit is if the offers aren't good enough to offset the loss in depth and leadership he provides.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
I feel like McQuaid deserves to be playing every day, he's good enough, he can't break in here because we're already very deep.

Depends on what they're offered. If there's no slam dunk offers there's no reason not to keep McQuaid, but he has a good reputation as a heavyweight defenseman and fighter, and I could see some teams being interested in generating a stronger team identity on D, wanting to pick up a guy with a mean streak who could add some personality and punch to their defense.

Basically, I feel like McQuaid has some sneaky leadership potential, similar to what we got Shawn Thornton for. That's a reason to keep him, unless we've already got 7 good defensemen and someone makes a strong offer.

If we do, and we move McQuaid for something like a third round pick to clear cap space for an addition at forward or some other need, I doubt it will be very hard to sign a veteran RD with some life left in him, there's usually a few of those bouncing around at any given time. the only reason to hold onto a part time player f0r 2.75m cap hit is if the offers aren't good enough to offset the loss in depth and leadership he provides.

Meh, the group of UFA depth RD is pretty underwhelming, unless your satisfied with a Postma-level D-man in that spot.

Doubtful the few decent RD available (Pateryn and Sustr) would be interested in coming here to be a depth/spare D-man.

If a team stepped up and offered a 2nd rounder for McQuaid, I'd consider it. But a 3rd or lower, I'd just as soon keep him.

bruins repeat time

Apr 13, 2012
burlington ont canad

I totally agree with you and he will be wanted and moved. There is nothing wrong with Adams game and most teams could use him , good, average and bad ones . When you add in his salary it is enough to scare some teams off but there will still be many takers. He is basically the same player he always has been, we just have too many good defenseman now and the obvious game style changes that set Chara back also apply to him . The bruins have eight good defenseman now . I can never remember having this much depth that I have zero problem with any of them if they are called upon in the playoffs.

And I have already argued with b.dust on this but you don't keep a guy to start a yr that has done what Adam has done for this team unless his skills had dropped so much he wasn't wanted elsewhere which isn't the case.

Lets face it originally Griz took his job and who went after McLeod after he took a bit of a late run at Griz. I Love Adam and always will and some of the talk about him on here is terrible.

Last edited:
Reactions: SImpelton

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO

He is the odd man out I'd say, but honestly he would be more important to the team than the return he'd get. As long as we have enough cap space next year I would keep him so that we can gear up for another run at the cup. He's a free agent the year after and they probably let him walk at that point.

Tampbear

Apr 10, 2015
Tampa
I would be really surprised if he didn't ask to be traded in the offseason. He knows he is an everyday D and if he is playing 7th D in Boston its going to really hurt his next contract which could be his last in the NHL. I would also be really surprised if Sweeney decided to keep him after McQuaid asked to be out, as it would make it much harder to get others to sign here in the future. He would be a fantastic spare D to have again next year, I just don't see it happening.

SImpelton

Mar 1, 2018
I would be really surprised if he didn't ask to be traded in the offseason. He knows he is an everyday D and if he is playing 7th D in Boston its going to really hurt his next contract which could be his last in the NHL. I would also be really surprised if Sweeney decided to keep him after McQuaid asked to be out, as it would make it much harder to get others to sign here in the future. He would be a fantastic spare D to have again next year, I just don't see it happening.

If McQuaid hit the market in trade, you can't convince me there wouldn't be takers. The bogstandard scenario in this situation is, you swap McQuaid for a prospect you might need later on, trading present value for future value.

In this case, probably a net crashing winger or perhaps a goaltending prospect, or even a younger version of the same thing whose cap structure works better for you.

if you could get a 3rd round or better pick for the guy that would be udeak, but on the whole given what teams usually often for solid bottom pairing D, I think it'll probably be better to pick your man in trade than go after a pick.

missingchicklet

Jan 24, 2010
Adam McQuaid is a winner, a total team player, and tough as nails. His presence on the ice is one that gives me comfort. He has his guys' backs and still plays good hockey. I understand the position the Bs will be in when the time comes to make a decision on Quaider. I'm gad I am not DS.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005

You would think, but would his situation going into next year really be much different than his situation going into last year? Carlo and Miller were already here, and everyone saw how McAvoy played in the playoffs last year. He had to know competition for playing time on the right side (the only side he's ever played) was going to be tough.

BadBruins

Aug 10, 2005
PEI
You would think, but would his situation going into next year really be much different than his situation going into last year? Carlo and Miller were already here, and everyone saw how McAvoy played in the playoffs last year. He had to know competition for playing time on the right side (the only side he's ever played) was going to be tough.

This upcoming season will be a contract year for him (18/19). He's a trooper for sure, but when it comes to that side of the business, I wouldn't blame him or his agent pushing for a new start. Millions at stake.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad