Prospect Info: Adam Mascherin (2016, #38 overall, UP: Re-enters draft), Kitchener Rangers (OHL)

Brokin

Nov 30, 2014
Hawryluk didn't sign his ELC until close to the end of his draft+2 season, it happens.

It was one reporter that said it, which in itself makes it questionable info. Surely one of our own beat writers (GR & Fialkov both were still working IIRC) or batting would've heard about it, if there was some controversy going on between the player and the organization. For example when Hyman was looking at other options, we knew about it months before his rights were traded.

The reporter may just have misheard or/and misinterpreted the comment.
Okay, whatever.

If you look at the contract Hawryluk held out for it's not hard to understand.....he got 1st rounder $925K. Is Mascherin looking for that kind of $$? Sure why shouldn't he get what Hawryluk got. The Cats understand this and they are playing chicken with a guy that could possibly be holding a grudge because he felt dissed. I said 50/50 because I would not be surprised either way. :)

Last edited:

Chaos2k7

Believe!
Aug 10, 2003
Costa Rica
Okay, whatever.

If you look at the contract Hawryluk held out for it's not hard to understand.....he got 1st rounder $925K. Is Mascherin looking for that kind of $$? Sure why shouldn't he get what Hawryluk got. The Cats understand this and they are playing chicken with a guy that could possibly be holding a grudge because he felt dissed. I said 50/50 because I would not be surprised either way. :)

LOL ELCs are negotiated for draft position, years, money etc. the 925k is a standard contract for a draft pick in those first couple rounds the difference would be the all 1st round bonuses for goals scored, games played, trophies won etc. that allow 1st rounders to make millions when providing an immediate impact.

Ekblad, and Huby both were making around 3 million a season with their early successes and high draft position.

Brokin this is not some wild west system, unless they dont want him, or unless he comes out and says the same, you can expect a 925k ELC in his future with us. If he is aware of Hawryluks contract he will also be familiar with when a draft pick re enters the draft 95% of the time they get picked lower and hence make less money on the ELC. Unless there is a grudge, and there is no proof of that, its a business for both parties.

Android 16

Jun 23, 2011
Florida
Worried about Mascherin's ability to skate / top speed translating to the NHL. He's not the fastest guy. Now, there are talented players like that in the NHL like Pavelski, but I think we need more prospects like Ang who can flat out fly. I think Mascherin's peak is 3rd-line winger who gets powerplay time due to his shot. Don't see him good enough for the top-six. And I have little doubt that we will regret not taking DeBrincat over Mascherin. DeBrincat is already producing well at the NHL level. Mascherin isn't as shifty and quick as DeBrincat. Those traits are more valuable to the game now and the future than what Mascherin brings to the table. Another foreseeable second round blunder to add to the list. Especially how DeBrincat was picked RIGHT after we picked Mascherin.

Last edited:

letsgrowcactus

Jan 21, 2017
Worried about Mascherin's ability to skate / top speed translating to the NHL. He's not the fastest guy. Now, there are talented players like that in the NHL like Pavelski, but I think we need more prospects like Ang who can flat out fly. I think Mascherin's peak is 3rd-line winger who gets powerplay time due to his shot. Don't see him good enough for the top-six. And I have little doubt that we will regret not taking DeBrincat over Mascherin. DeBrincat is already producing well at the NHL level. Mascherin isn't as shifty and quick as DeBrincat. Those traits are more valuable to the game now and the future than what Mascherin brings to the table. Another foreseeable second round blunder to add to the list. Especially how DeBrincat was picked RIGHT after we picked Mascherin.
With Ang, I'm a bit worried by his lack of production. This is the first season that he's over the 1 ppg pace; a brief look at comparables reveals many busts, a handful of depth players and a couple third liners. A quality third-liner is still a very nice piece in the fourth round, I'm just not sure if we can expect much more than that.

FinlandPanther

Mar 16, 2009
Florida
Unfair to compare Debrincat to Mascherin because we all know if Debrincat was here, he wouldn’t be doing anything. He gets the benefit of playing with Kane so he gets left open in soft spots in coverage.

ShootIt

Nov 8, 2008
Unfair to compare Debrincat to Mascherin because we all know if Debrincat was here, he wouldn’t be doing anything. He gets the benefit of playing with Kane so he gets left open in soft spots in coverage.
Was it Kane or Toews?

Thought he was along side Toews, and Kane was on line two.

TheImpatientPanther

Florida Flukin Panthers > LTIR Maple Leafs
Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
Reactions: ShootIt

Brokin

Nov 30, 2014
LOL ELCs are negotiated for draft position, years, money etc. the 925k is a standard contract for a draft pick in those first couple rounds the difference would be the all 1st round bonuses for goals scored, games played, trophies won etc. that allow 1st rounders to make millions when providing an immediate impact.

Ekblad, and Huby both were making around 3 million a season with their early successes and high draft position.

Brokin this is not some wild west system, unless they dont want him, or unless he comes out and says the same, you can expect a 925k ELC in his future with us. If he is aware of Hawryluks contract he will also be familiar with when a draft pick re enters the draft 95% of the time they get picked lower and hence make less money on the ELC. Unless there is a grudge, and there is no proof of that, its a business for both parties.
Thanks for explaining that to me. :)

So the negotiations begin on performance bonus, no? If you look at the first two guys in the 2nd round of the 15 draft you'll see that Roy got one year of performance bonus money at $107,500 where the guy that followed him, Christian Fischer got 3 years broken down at $320K, $230K, and $212K. The next 2 guys got zip on bonus $$$ where the next guy Aho got $850K for each of his 3 years.

So in short, if Mascherin continues on a tear the rest of the year and thinks he can better the performance bonus $$ offered by the Cats by re-entering the draft.........he has that option. In other words IMO it's still 50/50 whether he will sign with the Cats. ;)

Last edited:

TheImpatientPanther

Florida Flukin Panthers > LTIR Maple Leafs
Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
Mascherin with a 2 assist night coming off holiday break, extends his point streak to 12 games with 12 goals and 22 points. Nearing a 90pt pace.
Safe to say we are signing this guy, we'd be silly not to.

Last edited:

Brokin

Nov 30, 2014
The Panthers have done some silly things recently though!
It's not up to the Cats, it's up to Mascherin. In his last interview he just seemed a bit too phony about how great he and the Cats are getting along. This from a guy who didn't deny the report tweeted that the Cats hadn't contacted him since the combine. At the very least he is going to make them sweat. I'm raising the odds to 60/40 he gets signed but that's only because I think the Cats would draft him again just to show him who's boss. :)

Jakeybonz2

Feb 19, 2017
At the very least he is going to make them sweat. I'm raising the odds to 60/40 he gets signed but that's only because I think the Cats would draft him again just to show him who's boss. :)

that would be absolutely epic and despite the stupidity of signing a player who doesnt wanna play for u, id totally approve of it. maybe we could pull a drouin for sergachev type of deal :)

Brokin

Nov 30, 2014
^^Move along folks there's nothing to see here.:laugh::laugh: The phoniness is that everything is hunky dory in one or two quotes and then a couple of quotes that leave you guessing: They just said ‘Relax and play your game,’” Mascherin said. “The points will come, but it’s more about just working on your overall game.’ And I feel like I’ve done a good job of doing that, taking their advice from the start of the year.”

Mascherin said he talks with the Panthers about once a week and had dinner with McCabe on Monday night.

Ya like Mascherin quotes huh? Here's one for ya:

“I haven’t spoken to them at all. I have no idea what’s going on.”
That. Is. Craziness.
— Scott Wheeler (@scottcwheeler) September 13, 2017

Mascherin says he hasn’t heard from the Panthers since May. Doesn’t know what’s happened with hurricane, what’s happening with camp.
— Scott Wheeler (@scottcwheeler) September 13, 2017

To answer Mascherin's quote, McCabe said they did speak with him............aanndd............Mascherin went silent and quietly reported to his junior team because he was not medically cleared to even handle a puck until early Sept. let alone compete for a slot with the Cats at camp.

Much to do about nothing? Possibly, but this quote doesn't sound like a guy too sure of whether this is a match made in heaven: " They want to make sure that they’re making an investment in the right person and the right player,” Mascherin said. “However much time they think they need, things will work out for the best, regardless of what happens. I’m not really too worried about that."

Does anyone really believe the Cats wouldn't want this kid signed asap? It's in his court and he's leaving them hanging. Still in all, as I said above it would make little sense for him to head back to the draft (my new odds 60/40).........unless he has an underlying problem with the organization that he is glazing over in his most recent quotes. :)

Last edited:

GermanPanther

Foundation Defense
Dec 21, 2015
Munich, Germany
The only thing i read about this Situation was a Report from a Canadia Sportswriter. Who wrote about the Situation and developing of Adam Mascherin.
And that McCabe stand in contact with Jay McKee and speaks about him and the development of Adam Mascherin. When they have now personal Contact and Meeting listen good to me.
Beside Mascherin is right, the Panthers need Winger like him they would be stupid to let him go. Mascherin loves to shoot the Puck our Coach too. :D

SoupyFIN

#OneTerritory
Nov 7, 2011
This just in, hockey players (/athletes in general) always speak the absolute truth and nothing but the truth.

Trying to determine whether Mascherin is trying to "hold out" (which was already established to have no value to him) through an interview is pointless.

Jakeybonz2

Feb 19, 2017
well whatever the case is, its stupid to not have him signed yet and a bit weird no matter how u spin it. what did we draft him for if not to sign him? hes clearly demonstrated that hes worth signing (jurys out on whether he'll be a good player and i doubt he'll be all that great) if nothing else then for trade value. theres something dumb going on here and its us so we know its really stupid.

batting1k

Mar 3, 2013

November 21, Mascherin wearing a panthers hoodie while being interviewed on a radio show.

I'm 99 percent sure from everything I've seen, heard, and been told that there's no hold out or anything stupid going on here. I could be wrong but it wouldn't add up.

Let the kid finish the season and sign him, I don't understand the big deal, I really don't. McCabe has talked him up saying they're impressed with his overall improvements this season and that he has one of the best wrist shots from a stand still in Jr. hockey. Kitchener coaches are impressed as well and I've been told our scouts are too.

There's no rule that says you have to sign a draft pick within the first 2 seconds of being drafted or else it means the player is holding out :laugh:

Who gives a damn when he's signed, seriously lol It 's not like he's gonna play for us on Saturday

This reminds me of when people were complaining about the Panthers' center ice logo with the faceoff dot looking like a second eye on the panther :lol:

Why did no one complain when we didn't sign Hawryluk until his 4th WHL season?

Last edited:

Brokin

Nov 30, 2014
November 21, Mascherin wearing a panthers hoodie while being interviewed on a radio show.

I'm 99 percent sure from everything I've seen, heard, and been told that there's no hold out or anything stupid going on here. I could be wrong but it wouldn't add up.

Why did no one complain when we didn't sign Hawryluk until his 4th WHL season?
Well I think there is a little more to it than your over simplification.

Adam needs "public relation schooling" on when to talk to the media and when not to. You don't give the following quote on 9/13/17 “I haven’t spoken to them at all. I have no idea what’s going on" and then clam up until the middle of December about it after the team refutes the statement. The guy wants to be coddled and paid like a 1st round pick and he needs to grow up.

McCabe was sent on a mission to smooth things over with their disgruntled draft pick. If you think that quote was from a guy who was happy with the way he's been treated, then you need to take some classes on the art of negotiation.

Obviously things seem back on track as McCabe and he have come to a meeting of the minds on their respective positions. IMO, he wants 1st round incentive bonus money and the Cats are saying "show me you are worth it." You didn't see Sebastian Aho trying to embarrass his team in the media for $860,000 per year incentive bonus money (which he got) by dropping a quote like " They want to make sure that they’re making an investment in the right person and the right player,” Mascherin said. “However much time they think they need, things will work out for the best, regardless of what happens. I’m not really too worried about that." :)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->