Prospect Info: Adam Mascherin (2016, #38 overall, UP: Re-enters draft), Kitchener Rangers (OHL)

batting1k

Mar 3, 2013
Panthers had him at 15, by the way

Been watching videos of him...the skill on this kid is unreal, kinda forgot about Gauthier...for now at least lol

Gentle Man

09/12
Nov 15, 2011
Ontario, CA

Been watching videos of him...the skill on this kid is unreal, kinda forgot about Gauthier...for now at least lol

So are our scouts that much better than everyones and thats why their valuations are way different from the majority?

Clint

Jul 14, 2003

So not to doubt you, but how do you know this? If he was 15 on the board for us and slid all the way down to #38, where did they have Borgstrom ranked? Obviously higher than 15, no?

batting1k

Mar 3, 2013
So not to doubt you, but how do you know this? If he was 15 on the board for us and slid all the way down to #38, where did they have Borgstrom ranked? Obviously higher than 15, no?

Well they probably knew or assumed Mascherin wouldn't go until the 2nd round at the earliest considering who was available ahead of him. Just what I was told from someone within the organization.

Juggernaut27

#CatsHasCupNow?
Apr 29, 2014
Vancouver
So are our scouts that much better than everyones and thats why their valuations are way different from the majority?

I wish teams had to have an official "board" that gets handed over to the league and "declassified" 5 years after the draft :laugh:

It would show what a broad range teams rank these guys at. Especially after the top 3-5.

I bet even the really good drafting and developing teams have players all over.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Outside youtube clips know nothing about the player, but the stats look very impressive for 2nd round pick, 35 goals, 81 points in 65 games(ohl).
I like when Gm's aren't afraid to pick smaller players and go for the skill and potential.

Clint

Jul 14, 2003
Well they probably knew or assumed Mascherin wouldn't go until the 2nd round at the earliest considering who was available ahead of him. Just what I was told from someone within the organization.
Well see now this is what my gripe with the Borgstrom pick is. Could there really have been so many teams grappling to pick him "considering who was available ahead of him?" Were we that married to this prospect and this prospect alone that we potentially threw away an asset when we could have traded down and still picked up Borgstrom and Mascherin?

GrumpyKelly

May 15, 2011
Bottom of a bottle
Well see now this is what my gripe with the Borgstrom pick is. Could there really have been so many teams grappling to pick him "considering who was available ahead of him?" Were we that married to this prospect and this prospect alone that we potentially threw away an asset when we could have traded down and still picked up Borgstrom and Mascherin?

Borgstrom was ranked 35th by MacKenzie. They couldn't have gotten both if they had picked someone else in the first.

Brokin

Nov 30, 2014
This kid is 192 lbs at 5'9" :amazed:

Good lord. Guess he is no stranger to the inside of a gym; that's for sure.
From reading an interview, he's actually lost some weight to get quicker. He was 205. He said his legs are tree trunks, and that's what makes him so hard to knock off the puck. :)

Little Bobby Boo

Jul 30, 2014
Leading your team in points (tied) in your second year of the OHL is very impressive, especially since he wasn't playing with a Marner or Strome. I love this pick, kid is a monster.

Reactions: cheg1349

batting1k

Mar 3, 2013
Leading your team in points (tied) in your second year of the OHL is very impressive, especially since he wasn't playing with a Marner or Strome. I love this pick, kid is a monster.

This is true, although he was playing with MacInnis and Bracco. Not the same type of talent as Strome and Marner, but both very good linemates for sure. Either way, Mascherin has an elite shot and high end offensive instincts in my opinion and would probably thrive with most players.

CharlieGirl

Thank you Mr. Snider
Jun 24, 2003
Kitchener, ON
Visit site
This is true, although he was playing with MacInnis and Bracco. Not the same type of talent as Strome and Marner, but both very good linemates for sure. Either way, Mascherin has an elite shot and high end offensive instincts in my opinion and would probably thrive with most players.

He played with MacInnis/Bracco on the PP, but rarely at regular strength. He was centred by either Gustaf Franzen or Connor Bunnaman; occasionally Mason Kohn.

Mar 12, 2009

He was usually on the second line while Bracco and MacInnis were mainstays on the top line, but imo he was the most dangerous individual player offensively on the Rangers this year (MacInnis better all around player, Bracco definitely a better playmaker, but Mascherin was the best offensive player as a whole imo). He really showed that he wasn't just a 1-trick pony sniper, but that can pass and make plays with the puck quite well too. He was (IMO) the driver of his lines offense shift in and shift out. Had a bit of a revolving door of linemates at times throughout the year, but remained pretty consistent overall. He has good patience and poise with the puck as well. As has been noted, he needs to get quicker and become more responsible defensively on a consistent basis, but it's much easier to improve those things to an acceptable level than to teach someone the high end offensive tools he has.

RainingRats

Dec 28, 2008
Thank you Matthew De Franks,

Panthers prospect Adam Mascherin rebounds from surgery to start hot in OHL

Mascherin said he talks with the Panthers about once a week and had dinner with McCabe on Monday night.
“Or if I have questions, I reach out myself, right?” Mascherin said. “We’ve had a good relationship so far this year.”
Can't remember who it was, but there was someone around here claiming the end was near for Mascherin and the Panthers!

De Franks has done a top notch job covering the Panthers, imo. Quality work.

Brokin

Nov 30, 2014
Pretty sure it was Brokin. Are you surprised! :)
The end was near for Mascherin and the Panthers? I said it was 50/50 he would sign his ELC and if you read the article he was still non committed to the Cats. He said of the organization, “They want to make sure that they’re making an investment in the right person and the right player. However much time they think they need, things will work out for the best, regardless of what happens." Now just think about that statement for a minute. Does that sound like a player that is ready to sign his ELC with the Cats? Why would the Cats string him along and not want him signed immediately? Makes no sense, unless Adam and his agent are actually questioning whether the Cats are the right organization.

If you remember correctly, Mascherin leaked a statement to one of the talking heads on twitter that no one from the Cats had spoken to him since the combine. The intent of this was to throw shade at the organization because he didn't receive a training camp invite. McCabe refuted that statement and he wasn't invited to training camp because he wasn't medically cleared.

McCabe is having dinner with Adam to coddle him because he wants him to sign his ELC. Don't think for a minute that Adam and his agent are sweating it as they are the ones making the Cats sweat. :)

Reactions: Little Bobby Boo

Little Bobby Boo

Jul 30, 2014
The end was near for Mascherin and the Panthers? I said it was 50/50 he would sign his ELC and if you read the article he was still non committed to the Cats. He said of the organization, “They want to make sure that they’re making an investment in the right person and the right player. However much time they think they need, things will work out for the best, regardless of what happens." Now just think about that statement for a minute. Does that sound like a player that is ready to sign his ELC with the Cats? Why would the Cats string him along and not want him signed immediately? Makes no sense, unless Adam and his agent are actually questioning whether the Cats are the right organization.

If you remember correctly, Mascherin leaked a statement to one of the talking heads on twitter that no one from the Cats had spoken to him since the combine. The intent of this was to throw shade at the organization because he didn't receive a training camp invite. McCabe refuted that statement and he wasn't invited to training camp because he wasn't medically cleared.

McCabe is having dinner with Adam to coddle him because he wants him to sign his ELC. Don't think for a minute that Adam and his agent are sweating it as they are the ones making the Cats sweat. :)
This board would be lost without you.

SoupyFIN

#OneTerritory
Nov 7, 2011
Hawryluk didn't sign his ELC until close to the end of his draft+2 season, it happens.

It was one reporter that said it, which in itself makes it questionable info. Surely one of our own beat writers (GR & Fialkov both were still working IIRC) or batting would've heard about it, if there was some controversy going on between the player and the organization. For example when Hyman was looking at other options, we knew about it months before his rights were traded.

The reporter may just have misheard or/and misinterpreted the comment.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad