Player Discussion Adam Larsson (Hall talk will result in a thread ban)

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
He seemed to go for it a lot more at the World Cup, and I think I know why.

Larsson trusted OEL to be able to cover for him if he decides to jump in offensively. Don't think he trusts any of his partners here to do that.

I don't think that alone is it and the back coverage isn't all that bad on this club and often enough a forward dropping back. So much so that we've seen Draisaitl do some shutdown on odd man rushes against. He looks good back there, has the stature for it, but I prefer him as a Center.

;)

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Yeah, Larsson was supposedly injured and his father supposedly passed away. Hey, I didn't see it, what do I know.

I cannot even be bothered to go on reading this thread after this post. Throwing doubt on something you apparently don't care about one bit. Why even bother?

After a tough season a player going through pain, injury and personal loss decided (after having declined due to his father's death) to re-join the team. He went on to encourage everyone else to join, according to the team (acknowledged by the Nashville trio and Hornqvist, Larsson pushed them to come) and the group has never been as close as this year. Journalists following the team put a big part of that on Larsson, not due to what he is, but due to what he lived through. They glued together from a tragedy and eneded up with a gold celebration of the like that I have never seen team Sweden done before. Genuin joy all around. He went on to be the best D on team Swe on a team with OEL, Klingberg, Lindholm.. It was great to see.

At the same time Larsson post a picture saying "this is for you, for you!!!" to his father posting a picture of the Cup, the gold medal, and finally jersey of .... not from team Sweden, but Edmonton Oilers.

Nice post. Hey, I'm the same poster that wrote post #44 in the thread. I get it. I do. Larsson has had my expressed sympathy. I like the player. Even saluted him on coming back from his Dads funeral to finish the year which he didn't have to do. The comment on the supposed injury was two prongered (excuse pun)

1) Some were surmising he was injured or impacted all season long. I dispute that.

2) This posited season long injury theme is stated so often here in relation to players performance.

In no way was I challenging Larsson. He is clearly a stand up guy, As stated I believe him to have a high pain threshold and to be able to play through pain. I've seen that.

I do think in the summer here we do tend to be a little too hard on each others most latest comments sometimes. (not saying you)

ps I'm a poor loser. Its hard for me to give a cheer for Sweden. Ever...heh

cheers

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
He seemed to go for it a lot more at the World Cup, and I think I know why.

Larsson trusted OEL to be able to cover for him if he decides to jump in offensively. Don't think he trusts any of his partners here to do that.

Could be right.

Funny what a difference a year makes. Pretty sure a year ago Klefbom was paired with OEL in the WHC, Klefbom playing his off side was excellent and spent a ton of time covering for OEL as he was a bit of an adventure all over the ice. I think it has a lot to do with coaching. I hope Larsson becomes more involved offensively this year.

Reactions: Aerrol

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Could be right.

Funny what a difference a year makes. Pretty sure a year ago Klefbom was paired with OEL in the WHC, Klefbom playing his off side was excellent and spent a ton of time covering for OEL as he was a bit of an adventure all over the ice. I think it has a lot to do with coaching. I hope Larsson becomes more involved offensively this year.

If Larsson could somehow manage 30 points that would be a huge benefit to this team. Huge.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
I don't think that alone is it and the back coverage isn't all that bad on this club and often enough a forward dropping back. So much so that we've seen Draisaitl do some shutdown on odd man rushes against. He looks good back there, has the stature for it, but I prefer him as a Center.

;)

Fanboy level 1,000,000. He's probably average defensively but has the brain and skills to be very good.

Truth being told Puljujarvi was often our best backchecking forward last season.

Our getting rid of players like Eberle, Hall, Yak, and Gagner has helped. Hall often would actually backcheck hard but didn't accomplish a lot. If Drai can get to the level of Nuge in regards to defensive zone awareness then it may indeed give Dmen like Larsson more freedom to be involved. I wonder how much of a difference the large ice surface makes?

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Fanboy level 1,000,000. He's probably average defensively but has the brain and skills to be very good.

Truth being told Puljujarvi was often our best backchecking forward last season.

Our getting rid of players like Eberle, Hall, Yak, and Gagner has helped. Hall often would actually backcheck hard but didn't accomplish a lot. If Drai can get to the level of Nuge in regards to defensive zone awareness then it may indeed give Dmen like Larsson more freedom to be involved. I wonder how much of a difference the large ice surface makes?

A lot of the players we have had, have, succumb to less than 100% effort in 200ft game. Drai did cheat this season. As did others. Sometimes this was due to the teams inability to put up goals. Sometimes its easier to get defensive play when the team is also scoring. We need some depth help for that and more guys producing, then we will see more players on this team bring a more solid 200ft game.

But you are right, Drai was shortchanging the team in this regard this season.

With Larsson, the topic of this thread, I think just playing the Swedish brand of game and playing alongside some great offensive D lent itself to some "when in Rome". He's a good player, I just wish we were getting more of his potential here.

Reactions: nabob

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
This is why I think the general Hall - Larsson trade discussion is so weird. It's complex, it's not just about how many points Hall scored and how many points Larsson stopped or produced. First of all, would Edmonton look like a more legit contender with Hall than without Larsson? Nope, the defense would be a garbage fire. So, Hall is very talented offensively, but defensively he's not the one the coach would raise the hand of. Edmonton needs defensive stability and has been in that urgent moment for quite a while now. The situation has improved, but it's nowhere close to legit.

So, Hall could bring a second punch to the offense. Well, good luck having that punch without being molested if your defense is garbage. I will say this about Larsson. He has always been of big figure, knows when and how to hit, how to play positionally and all that, but... I just think it's weird his great passing ability is so underutilized in the NHL. I watched him in the SEL, I could never dream he would ever end up in this situation, flinging pucks out of the zone instead of taking an extra step and release a counterattack.

So Hall thrives in a franchise driven around systematic two-way responsibility. No ****. Larsson playing like Adam Foote however? I can see why that trade was seen as won by NJ, even though Larsson brings alot to the stability of Edmonon not shown in stats.

Larsson's passing is of Swedish national team standard. That should tell you, he knows how to deliver a puck. He is very solid defensively, but can dish the puck. But if he tries to cover for a dumpster fire, I can understand he has to hold the fort and not help win the game.

The latest version of the NHL game has returned to a game of impetus. The team pursuing will win just like a boxer pursuing the fight will usually win. Its whichever team that is pushing the play that wins. Vegas shows us that. Teams like Pens, Hawks, Kings, Lightning have before.

The bolded is odd because winning is the only thing that matters. The strength of a team with McD, Drai, Nuge is not hang back, its force and push opponent D to bend. That's our best play. At least with our topsix mix.

The NHL game now is not shutdown predicated at present moment. Teams that attack are awarded. The balance once again has swung. To that end we need to see more of Larssons offensive chops. Even seeing that from Nurse and Bear was a breath of fresh air. This team needs the back end making plays, starting plays.

Chimpradamus

Feb 16, 2006
Northern Sweden
The latest version of the NHL game has returned to a game of impetus. The team pursuing will win just like a boxer pursuing the fight will usually win. Its whichever team that is pushing the play that wins. Vegas shows us that. Teams like Pens, Hawks, Kings, Lightning have before.

The bolded is odd because winning is the only thing that matters. The strength of a team with McD, Drai, Nuge is not hang back, its force and push opponent D to bend. That's our best play. At least with our topsix mix.

The NHL game now is not shutdown predicated at present moment. Teams that attack are awarded. The balance once again has swung. To that end we need to see more of Larssons offensive chops. Even seeing that from Nurse and Bear was a breath of fresh air. This team needs the back end making plays, starting plays.
Yup. A team wanting a Cup now needs to be mobile in itself and mobile in puck movement. I think this Vegas journey has - hopefully - thought one and other dinosaur GM of the progression of hockey. Larsson is a good start on defense, IMO he's a legit #1. Their half-assed projects can't face strategic speed.

Sweden had Klingberg, Ekman-Larsson, etc, but Larsson was the rock. I don't think the trade is objectively one-sided, they're both very good players in their own way. He's not a magician with the puck, but he knows how to deliver it.

Last edited:

VainGretzky

Jun 4, 2015
Offence is not in Larsson's arsenal , he is what he is a solid defensive dman in the Langway Ludwig mold which is good enough.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004

One of the many reasons that our team sucked last season was a lack of the bolded. Larsson is a guy that can make a good first pass at minimum. IMO our issue is two fold, systematic and personnel. Guys like Larsson and Nurse should be able to move the puck well enough and guys like Sekera, Bear and Klefbom should be able to do more than that. I cannot ****ing believe that the head coach is returning. It could end up being the biggest team fail since MacT standing behind Eakins.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
One of the many reasons that our team sucked last season was a lack of the bolded. Larsson is a guy that can make a good first pass at minimum. IMO our issue is two fold, systematic and personnel. Guys like Larsson and Nurse should be able to move the puck well enough and guys like Sekera, Bear and Klefbom should be able to do more than that. I cannot ****ing believe that the head coach is returning. It could end up being the biggest team fail since MacT standing behind Eakins.

Didn't it seem though that Bear and Nurse had a green light? I agree with you but its just odd. Perhaps Larsson has worked so hard to be a NA style D that he needs to get back to some of his Swedish roots and play and what got him to the dance. I shouldn't say need to, he's plenty good, just that he could be better at the transition and 200ft game. Sekera the biggest disappointment in that regard.

Yeah, never been a fan of McLellan, you remember that. At least Woodcroft will be far away. Small blessings.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Didn't it seem though that Bear and Nurse had a green light? I agree with you but its just odd. Perhaps Larsson has worked so hard to be a NA style D that he needs to get back to some of his Swedish roots and play and what got him to the dance. I shouldn't say need to, he's plenty good, just that he could be better at the transition and 200ft game. Sekera the biggest disappointment in that regard.

Yeah, never been a fan of McLellan, you remember that. At least Woodcroft will be far away. Small blessings.

Nurse jumped up tons and Bear came up in garbage time and that is the basis of his game. IIRC Lars was jumping up early in the season and then it stopped. Sekera was awful as was Klefbom. Hopefully both are 100% come camp.

He seems too stubborn to evolve. Not far enough :)

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Nurse jumped up tons and Bear came up in garbage time and that is the basis of his game. IIRC Lars was jumping up early in the season and then it stopped. Sekera was awful as was Klefbom. Hopefully both are 100% come camp.

He seems too stubborn to evolve. Not far enough :)

Not judging pictures by covers but a picture made me laugh last week. its the McD draft shots. EVERYBODY on the Oilers is wearing fashionable dark blue blazers looking reasonably sharp. I mean almost everybody. They were as coordinated as best men at a wedding. But then theres Todd in his Farmer hand me down plaid suit that his dad wore only on Sundays or to get a bank loan. Todd looks like such an out of place pickle in that shot. The blazer didn't even fit.

just random thought, heh, nothing else, agree with what you said.

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy
Nice post. Hey, I'm the same poster that wrote post #44 in the thread. I get it. I do. Larsson has had my expressed sympathy. I like the player. Even saluted him on coming back from his Dads funeral to finish the year which he didn't have to do. The comment on the supposed injury was two prongered (excuse pun)

1) Some were surmising he was injured or impacted all season long. I dispute that.

2) This posited season long injury theme is stated so often here in relation to players performance.

In no way was I challenging Larsson. He is clearly a stand up guy, As stated I believe him to have a high pain threshold and to be able to play through pain. I've seen that.

I do think in the summer here we do tend to be a little too hard on each others most latest comments sometimes. (not saying you)

ps I'm a poor loser. Its hard for me to give a cheer for Sweden. Ever...heh

cheers
Cheers.

I get it as well, and I should probably take a break from posting for a while (it worked wonders last time).

I know what you posted before and I think I have a pretty good idea of what you think on this subject. That said I got tired of this "supposedly injured" thing, it's been discussed before and even though nothing is apparently disclosed, whenever he came back from a maintenance break (he had two iirc) and after the funeral he came back looking really good im the first couple of games imho.

So yes, it is the summer break and I was probably too hard on you (not only in this thread). Maybe because I think you can take it and respond in kind, or maybe because it is just a slow period. That's no excuse though so I apologize for that, sincerely. Different points of views and opinions on several issues is one thing, but in the end all of this comes from the fact that we support the same team.

Last edited:

TaroTsujimoto

Apr 20, 2014
Good for Adam. I hope he can carry this confidence forward and become a consistent top pairing d-man.

Does he have it in him to be Weber without the big shot? Or is he not big or smart enough.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Hasnt HFOil learnt to not overvalue the WHC? Its like every year the Oilers gang goes and some do extremely well and the HFOil gets all happy about the thought this player is going to replicate the success in the NHL. Then 6 months later, the NHL season starts and that player is back to their usual self. Anyone remember Anton "Swedens 2c" Lander?

The player you can expect to see next year is likely the player youve seen in the NHL in the past 4 NHL seasons. AKA a player who is solid at defense and limited offense. Larsson has been thru 3 different coaches and 3 of them never utilized him in an offensive manner. You can call that a conspiracy but I think what they are seeing (and what I have seen as well) is that he has a limited offensive ability that didnt transfer from the SEL as many people had hoped. He has top pairing/ #3D defensive ability, but his offense is not really there. Who knows if all 3 coaches were the issue, or if he just took advntage of a short summer tourney to play freely and show off offensive ability

WHC is a tournament where coaches notoriously allows players to roam free and do whatever due to the short nature of the tournament and players coming from all over. It is not representative of actual NHL systems

Reactions: Drivesaitl

Section337

Jul 7, 2007
Edmonton, AB

I feel there is a bit of a chicken and egg thing with this, two years ago seemed to be the only time (in years) where the wingers actually won battles to get the puck out of the zone. Last year it went back to suckitude with guys like Kassian flying the zone while the d-men are behind the net, Drai flicking it into the open and Lucic having a disconnect between eye/stick/puck. Outside of the guys (which also included Drai) who carried the puck out, I felt Slepyshev may have been the only guy who regularly won those puck battles. As a result, the d-men too often had to make good first passes against all five opponents in the defensive zone. The wingers have to help earn the d-men some easy passes, because none of them are good enough to deal with a diet of hard passes.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
I feel there is a bit of a chicken and egg thing with this, two years ago seemed to be the only time (in years) where the wingers actually won battles to get the puck out of the zone. Last year it went back to suckitude with guys like Kassian flying the zone while the d-men are behind the net, Drai flicking it into the open and Lucic having a disconnect between eye/stick/puck. Outside of the guys (which also included Drai) who carried the puck out, I felt Slepyshev may have been the only guy who regularly won those puck battles. As a result, the d-men too often had to make good first passes against all five opponents in the defensive zone. The wingers have to help earn the d-men some easy passes, because none of them are good enough to deal with a diet of hard passes.

I think the issues were the system and a lack of hunger from many of the players. I still can't understand why a guy like Kassian who is supposed to be an energy player was such a non factor. It's like once Glass tuned him on opening night he was neutered for much of the season.

VainGretzky

Jun 4, 2015
Langway was a two time Norris trophy winner and a HoF inductee. I'd take that. :)
There have been very few over the decade that you can say were great defensive dmen Larsson is in the convo, Vlasic is another one Jason Smith was another , Would rather have Hall back as many on here would but Larsson is very solid , his 1st season here showed that , last season injuries and dad death hampered his season, next season I have a hunch will be his best yet,

Reactions: ujju2

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
There have been very few over the decade that you can say were great defensive dmen Larsson is in the convo, Vlasic is another one Jason Smith was another , Would rather have Hall back as many on here would but Larsson is very solid , his 1st season here showed that , last season injuries and dad death hampered his season, next season I have a hunch will be his best yet,

Eh this is a tough one. Say what you want about analytics and defensive D, but most defensive D fans regard as being "great" all have similarly impressive defensive metrics. This across different teams and different strength of teams. Larsson does not yet have the metrics of those players

I would say that alot of the "Larsson is incredible defensively" talk is HFOil trying to justify the trade. Larsson is unquestionably good defensively, but to say hes in the tier in the last decade with the exlcusive lavel of "great defensively"- like Vlasic, is a bit of stretch. The sooner we can discuss Larsson for what he is- a great #3 D or someone who can fill in on the top pairing with a true #1, the sooner we can have an honest discussion about our D dcore and realizing it is not as strong as it could be and in need of improvement in the top 4, especially on the right side

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy
Hasnt HFOil learnt to not overvalue the WHC? Its like every year the Oilers gang goes and some do extremely well and the HFOil gets all happy about the thought this player is going to replicate the success in the NHL. Then 6 months later, the NHL season starts and that player is back to their usual self. Anyone remember Anton "Swedens 2c" Lander?

The player you can expect to see next year is likely the player youve seen in the NHL in the past 4 NHL seasons. AKA a player who is solid at defense and limited offense. Larsson has been thru 3 different coaches and 3 of them never utilized him in an offensive manner. You can call that a conspiracy but I think what they are seeing (and what I have seen as well) is that he has a limited offensive ability that didnt transfer from the SEL as many people had hoped. He has top pairing/ #3D defensive ability, but his offense is not really there. Who knows if all 3 coaches were the issue, or if he just took advntage of a short summer tourney to play freely and show off offensive ability

WHC is a tournament where coaches notoriously allows players to roam free and do whatever due to the short nature of the tournament and players coming from all over. It is not representative of actual NHL systems
You're missing the point. Most people here are happy to see him having a bit of success after the year he had. It's been repeated again and again. Some are saying/hoping to see more offensively, but tbh honest everyone is pretty much conservative in their hopes...

Last 4 seasons, he is what he is.
Fine, I agree generally with that but his worst year (by far) was this last season. Honestly I think 99% are just hoping for him to get back to 16/17 form. I hope for 15/16 for when it comes to defense and 14/15 form for offense, i.e. still pretty conservative.

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy
Also Larsson was great defensively before any trade. 15/16 he was a rock buried under unseen D zone/tough opp deployment.

That is not in question metrics or no metrics.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->