Player Discussion Adam Larsson (Mod Warning in OP)

herm1978

Jun 29, 2011
Couldnt find an open thread on him. Just found this article:

So many Edmonton Oilers trending down this year, but not Adam Larsson

Thought it was interesting. What are the thought from people that can actually watch the games?

MOD-Another reminder, this is the Larsson thread not the Hall thread. We all know the price that was paid to acquire Larsson and that isn't changing. Debate his merits as a player not as a trade return or you will be hit with a thread derailing infraction and thread banned.

Last edited by a moderator:

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany
Regardless of how bad the rest of the defence has looked, he's managed to keep the top pairing respectable. By no means a small accomplishment.

A little more offence would be nice (especially as he's fairly effective when he jumps into the play), but he's the one guy the team can count on not to make an unforced error.

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
Leads the league in hits. Ebs was run out of town for not being physical

No right or wrong answer here.

It will be a debate as to what some deem important to the overall product

McClelland

Aug 2, 2011
Bergen
Larsson so important for this team especially with Sekera out and Klefbom out of bounds! Larsson is a paria to play against, those small half dirty things and those squeezing hits! Covered up for klefbom last season and Nurse seems to flourish playing with him also!

With Larsson in last night, Gryba hadnt been out there in the end of 2 period and had probably dont had many shifts in the game. Russell hadnt been out there in the last minute of the game either!

TaroTsujimoto

Apr 20, 2014
Larsson is on pace for 13 points, yet most Oiler fans are satisfied? That is not acceptable production for a #4 overall pick, especially since Adam hasn't even been all that great defensively this season. I was hoping this would be the year Larsson would establish himself as a true top pairing defenceman who plays oustanding defence and moves the puck with authority. He has been a major disappointment for me.

booyakasha

Oct 11, 2007
Edmonton, AB
Larsson is on pace for 13 points, yet most Oiler fans are satisfied? That is not acceptable production for a #4 overall pick and our return for Hall, especially since Adam hasn't even been all that great defensively this season. I was hoping this would be the year Larsson would establish himself as a true top pairing defenceman who plays oustanding defence and moves the puck with authority. He has been a major disappointment for me.

He has been a good Dman all in all, but as a return for Hall? Major disappointment is an understatement.

StevenF1919

Oct 9, 2017
Edmonton
Good player. He never really moves the needle either way but he's always steady. His offensive ability is pretty much non-existent and he can't move the puck but he's a very solid #3.

TaroTsujimoto

Apr 20, 2014
Why was he even drafted #4 overall since he is so plodding out there and can't move the puck? I feel he must have regressed or something. I also feel he is capable of moving the puck well when confident.

Faelko

Aug 11, 2002
Why was he even drafted #4 overall since he is so plodding out there and can't move the puck? I feel he must have regressed or something. I also feel he is capable of moving the puck well when confident.

sometimes players offence doesn't translate to the NHL. Every draft pick is a crapshoot, they're drafting 18 year olds that aren't even close to a finished product.

That said, the Oilers desperately need Larsson, you saw what the D looked like with him out.

TaroTsujimoto

Apr 20, 2014
"Larsson, a Swedish defenseman whose exceptional puck-handling, poise and booming shot will have scouts and general managers considering their options, is the top-rated European prospect on the board.

One European NHL scout from a Western Conference team told NHL.com that Larsson might be ahead of where Victor Hedman was at the midway point of his draft year two years ago. Hedman was chosen by the Tampa Bay Lightning with the No. 2 pick in 2009.

"Hedman was allowed to do more with his home team in Sweden, so they let him be more active with the puck and try different things," the scout said. "I think Adam Larsson plays a safer game. I certainly think he has the same potential as Hedman. He's every bit as good with the puck and he might be a touch tougher. Hedman is a little bigger, but they're both unbelievably good skaters. I think I would take Larsson over Hedman if I could, based on what I've seen the last three years."

Larsson represented Sweden at the 2010 and 2011 World Junior Championship, finishing as the team's highest-scoring defensemen at this year's tournament, with 1 goal and 4 points. He's currently playing for Skelleftea AIK in the Swedish Elite League, where he's produced 7 assists, 8 points and 37 penalty minutes in 28 games.

Two of Larsson's teammates on this year's Swedish National Junior Team praised their impressive young defenseman when asked for comparisons to Hedman.

"I think Adam is better than Hedman, but that's my opinion," said Larsson's WJC defense partner, Fredrik Styrman."He's more stick-handling and can move the puck quick. "

Scouts say Larsson is ahead of Hedman

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Another reminder, this is the Larsson thread not the Hall thread. We all know the price that was paid to acquire Larsson and that isn't changing. Debate his merits as a player not as a trade return or you will be hit with a thread derailing infraction and thread banned.

Reactions: Oilers Propagandist

TaroTsujimoto

Apr 20, 2014
"He is a workhorse, capable of logging major minutes in all situations. He has played with uncommon poise for a player of his age in a league against men in the Swedish Elite League the past two years. Simply put, there aren’t very many holes in Larsson’s game. He is the complete package, capable of taking over a game with his size, skating and elite two-way skills. He’s likely not going to ever contribute elite offensive numbers from the backend, but he is more than capable of rushing the puck end-to-end, making great stretch passes with his superb vision and unleashing a hard and accurate point shot.
Read more at Hockey's Future - Adam Larsson"

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
I think that Klefbom's regression has taken a bit of a toll on Larsson's offensive numbers. He was looking to jump up offensively a bit more early on in the season but has done less of it of late. I'd like to see him utilize his shot a bit more. I still maintain that if he wants to take the next step offensively he will need to get a bit quicker.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
"He is a workhorse, capable of logging major minutes in all situations. He has played with uncommon poise for a player of his age in a league against men in the Swedish Elite League the past two years. Simply put, there aren’t very many holes in Larsson’s game. He is the complete package, capable of taking over a game with his size, skating and elite two-way skills. He’s likely not going to ever contribute elite offensive numbers from the backend, but he is more than capable of rushing the puck end-to-end, making great stretch passes with his superb vision and unleashing a hard and accurate point shot.
Read more at Hockey's Future - Adam Larsson"

He never had Hedman's skating, he was also a bit of an early bloomer, he was a stud at the WJC's in his 16 y/o season. Then much like Couturier, in his draft year he pretty much matched what he did the previous season which led me to question his/their upsides. Expecting him to be Hedman is setting yourself up for disappointment.

TaroTsujimoto

Apr 20, 2014
""Adam is one of the best skater’s in this year’s draft -- he has excellent speed and mobility. He also has patient puck handling abilities and can surprise an opponent with a solid hit. His size and skating ability make him comparable with Tampa Bay Lightning defenseman Victor Hedman."- NHL Central Scouting’s Chris Edwards

VoluntaryDom

Formerly DominicBoltsFan / Ⓐ / ✞
Oct 31, 2016
Tampa FL
how has this guy been this season? also how has klefbom been? ive heard negatives about klef and lars but idk. and if they are doing badly, will they bounce back?

booyakasha

Oct 11, 2007
Edmonton, AB
how has this guy been this season? also how has klefbom been? ive heard negatives about klef and lars but idk. and if they are doing badly, will they bounce back?
Larsson has been okay, actually much better when Nurse was put with him, and Klefbom was removed from him.
Klefbom has been an utter disappointment this season...just rubbish.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->