Player Discussion Adam Gaudette - Hobey Baker winner

Status
Not open for further replies.

Disappointed EP40

Jan 13, 2015
but he's horrible if you want to try and develop wingers.

If you play him above the 4th line you're crippling the development of the young wingers that get stuck beside him. He is an offensive black hole that needs to be treated as such and kept away from the young wingers in the organization.

Agreed . I believe Sutter is the absolute worst for developing players.

Would basically teach them how to be invisible defensively due to thinking good offence is to hang back all night but eventually get the random breakaway due to speed.

Canucks1096

Feb 13, 2016

Would basically teach them how to be invisible defensively due to thinking good offence is to hang back all night but eventually get the random breakaway due to speed.

I agree that if you play a young potential scoring winger with Sutter. It won't be good for their developement
However having Sutter in the lineup will actually help other young players that are not on his line to develope better. Sutter plays the tough mins so the the top 2 lines get to play easier mins. No Sutter that means Horvat and Boeser are out for a lot more defensive zone faceoffs and Play the tough mins.

Sutter take a lot of defensive zone faceoffs, play against top players and led the Canucks in plus/minus. Somebody is going to reply and say Plus/minus is a misleading stat. Not misleading if you play on a bad team, play against top players and take so many defensive zone faceoffs and end it up with +8. Sutter is not weak defensively at all.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005

I don't think there is a one size fits all. It's not like playing with the Sedins is good for developing players either. I thought Goldobin played pretty well with Sutter.

Sutter is a C. If he is hanging back then that means someone else is up there forechecking. A developing player can learn from Sutter how to position themselves defensively and stick positions.

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
I don't think there is a one size fits all. It's not like playing with the Sedins is good for developing players either. I thought Goldobin played pretty well with Sutter.

Sutter is a C. If he is hanging back then that means someone else is up there forechecking. A developing player can learn from Sutter how to position themselves defensively and stick positions.

But do you learn that from him during games..?

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
But do you learn that from him during games..?

When they are playing on their same line? And what does "learning from Sutter" have to do with player development being negatively effected if a developing player is on the same line as Sutter?

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
When they are playing on their same line? And what does "learning from Sutter" have to do with player development being negatively effected if a developing player is on the same line as Sutter?

Oh... I tought you meant the players playing with Sutter would learn those things while playing with Sutter.

Disappointed EP40

Jan 13, 2015

I believe that playing with the Sedins would greatly help a many of the younger players. Would all of them? No. Would it crazily change their career trajectory? No. But it would teach them puck protection, o-zone systems, how to play along the boards, cycle. Basically the harder things players have to transition to coming into the NHL. I think Kassian's game improved mildly from his play with them, albeit he was hardly a developing prospect. (He started using his body more to shelter the puck.)

Sutter...... Other than insulate the players by playing on a different line; I only see him perpetuating the style of play that works in jrs. Again, not all players, but I'd say the vast majority wouldn't learn shit with him, and development would be in spite of him. He's all north/south... weak along the boards.. weak cycle game.

(And if Sutter is hanging back, it doesn't just mean "the other guys are forecbecking" at all. The systems used in the NHL are much more complex than that.)

Reactions: PuckMunchkin

Russian_fanatic

Jan 19, 2004
I know this a really late reactions, but when Gaudette had his cup of tea during the end of the season, he really did remind me of Brendan Morrison/Daymond Langkow.

I see him projecting as a solid #2 center, and someone who can play in every type of situation.

Last edited:

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Gaudette might start off slowly in the points department but what you have to love about him is his work on the defensive side of the puck....the thing is he won't hurt you when he's out there, even if the scoring doesn't come right away. Needs to work on his faceoffs though.

DomY

Aug 11, 2008
I envision him starting in Utica playing in all situations at C. Called up shortly though.

Kel Varnson

Oct 31, 2017
I think our center depth (or lack there of) will help him crack the opening day lineup. Even if we signed a free agent C. Horvat and Sutter are the only other sure bets down the middle.

Think we open with something like
Horvat
Bozak/other UFA
Sutter
Gaudette

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I think our center depth (or lack there of) will help him crack the opening day lineup. Even if we signed a free agent C. Horvat and Sutter are the only other sure bets down the middle.

Think we open with something like
Horvat
Bozak/other UFA
Sutter
Gaudette
I would move gaunce to 4C and let gaudette take the 2C offensive duties. Life and die by what they have in their youth. Can swap in gagner into the C role from time to time.

Bertuzzzi44

Jun 26, 2018
I think Gaudette has a golden opportunity to start the year centering the second line. I see our Center depth looking Like this..

Horvat
Gaudette
Ufa
Sutter

Having more offensive zone starts and playing with better wingers I think he can excel if given the opportunity. He has great hockey IQ and will get better as the season progresses by picking up on subtle details and making adjustments. I just hope management and the coaching staff have enough patience to go through growing pains and actually allow our prospects to find their game.

Also agree Sutter is a blackhole offensively, he has tunnel vision, no playmaking ability, and generates zero opportunities for his wingers. Good on PK, faceoffs, and has decent north/south speed (crappy edge work, agility, and pivots) and that’s about it.

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003
Sutter will get big minutes this year. Maybe in a shutdown role but expect him to get 18+ min/gm. Gaudette will likely start as a third line centre, probably with Virtanen on his right side and a veteran (Gagner/Granlund) on his left. Would love to see Goldobin or Leipsic earn a spot on the left side. A huge win, though unlikely, would be to see Goldobin-Gaudette-Virtanen earn 2nd line minutes by mid season.
Don't want to be a downer, just trying to be realistic. This roster is not built to win. Hopefully they will use the opportunity to develop players.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
May 25, 2014
I get the sense with Gaudette that fans have forgotten about him a bit. The Pettersson/Hughes hype and Boeser building on his amazing rookie season are stronger storylines. Gaudette didn't look great (not bad either) in the NHL last season but it was 5 games. I think he'll have a good upcoming year for us.
Agreed, he is getting forgotten. Also thinking will have a good season ahead of him. Not great, cause hes more a gradual learner, but a GOOD season

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
I get the sense with Gaudette that fans have forgotten about him a bit. The Pettersson/Hughes hype and Boeser building on his amazing rookie season are stronger storylines. Gaudette didn't look great (not bad either) in the NHL last season but it was 5 games. I think he'll have a good upcoming year for us.

There's certainly a strong possibility for that. Guys who finished like an all-star after 3-4 years in college tend to make a quick transition to the NHL.

Only problem is if Gaudette doesn't immediately cut it then you risk having a Jared McCann type situation if you keep him in the NHL, or if you were counting on him to be the #2C and send him down it leaves a huge whole in the lineup where we need to be developing offensive wingers.

I think it's best if you go into training camp with the expectation that he starts in Utica and plan accordingly, but still give him the opportunity to make the Canucks as the 2nd/3rd line C if he earns it.

LickTheEnvelope

Time to Retool... again...
Dec 16, 2008
Vancouver
Well Benning grabbed two bottom 6 centers from UFA so Gaudette.

I am happy they got Beagle since he could help out the young guys with faceoffs and PK.

Luck 6

\\_______
Oct 17, 2008
Vancouver
I just hope the Canucks are willing to live or die with Gaudette for 30 games or so, instead of overpaying for a bargain-bin center like Tyler Bozek who'll basically take away his ice-time

I think they will, to an extent. That’s what they did with Baertschi if you recall, when most fans wanted him gone. They just kept playing him, and let him play through his mistakes, so they do have a track record of trying that from time to time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->