Player Discussion: Adam Erne

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Paquette is not really a good fighter. Brown is way better.

Paquette constantly fights outside of his weight class though, whereas Brown usually tangles with middleweights (which, I guess, is still kind of above his weight class; it's easy to forget how small Brown really is.).

I think we have some scrappier guys in the pipeline. I'm not saying we should be fighting more, but I do think we used to be a lot tougher to play against when our pests were more dangerous than they are now.

Since we're on the topic of fighting, remember how BJ Crombeen lost went like 0-19-3 (rough estimate) one year? :laugh:

MattM92

Dec 8, 2010
FL
Paquette is one of the worst fighters I've ever seen, especially for a pest. He gets demolished by everyone.

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
Paquette constantly fights outside of his weight class though, whereas Brown usually tangles with middleweights (which, I guess, is still kind of above his weight class; it's easy to forget how small Brown really is.).

Brown has handled himself pretty well against some tough guys who are also way bigger than him. For example he fought Scott Mayfield this season who's like 50 pounds heavier than him. Paquette has gotten his ass kicked 3 times in his 4 fights this year. His opponents in those fights were Nathan Beaulieu, Sergei Kalinin and Marcus Foligno. The only fight where he didn't get completely embarrassed was against Ian Cole.

Bolt 45

Oct 19, 2015
Paquette is one of the worst fighters I've ever seen, especially for a pest. He gets demolished by everyone.
He rarely gets demolished. When he's overmatched he knows enough to take the fight down to the ice before taking any serious punches.

Bolt 45

Oct 19, 2015
Brown has handled himself pretty well against some tough guys who are also way bigger than him. For example he fought Scott Mayfield this season who's like 50 pounds heavier than him. Paquette has gotten his ass kicked 3 times in his 4 fights this year. His opponents in those fights were Nathan Beaulieu, Sergei Kalinin and Marcus Foligno. The only fight where he didn't get completely embarrassed was against Ian Cole.
Losing a fight and getting an ass-kicking are two entirely different outcomes. Paquette's fights tend to end up on the ice before they even get going.

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
Losing a fight and getting an ass-kicking are two entirely different outcomes. Paquette's fights tend to end up on the ice before they even get going.

Perhaps I overexaggerated but his fights for sure have been pretty embarrassing.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012

Giordano embarrassed him pretty bad a few years ago. Haven't really seen him get handled like that since.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
That was his first NHL fight though. He has definitely improved from that.

I thought it was but wasn't sure, was it that long ago? I guess getting rag dolled the first time with make you work on that skill.

Bolt 45

Oct 19, 2015
Perhaps I overexaggerated but his fights for sure have been pretty embarrassing.
He definitely doesn't look like a natural. I think it's because Paquette's not out there looking to fight anyone, but he's also not going to back down from anyone even if he probably should. He usually just tries to bodyslam the other guy, ends up getting bodyslammed himself, and the fight is over before he takes any serious punches. I think that's all he's really trying to accomplish anyway. He probably shouldn't be fighting, but you simply can't tell that to a guy like Paquette.

Bolt 45

Oct 19, 2015
You know who's probably impressed me the most this year as a fighter? Namestnikov. For all of his other faults, he's more than held his own in all of his fights. He never struck me as the kind of guy who'd have a mean-streak, but his fights suggest otherwise.

MattM92

Dec 8, 2010
FL
He rarely gets demolished. When he's overmatched he knows enough to take the fight down to the ice before taking any serious punches.

I wouldn't say getting punched in the face and falling to the ice every fight is the same as "taking it to the ice". But I guess, every KO in boxing can technically be called "taking it to the mat" if you really want to call it that. :laugh:

Bolt 45

Oct 19, 2015
I wouldn't say getting punched in the face and falling to the ice every fight is the same as "taking it to the ice". But I guess, every KO in boxing can technically be called "taking it to the mat" if you really want to call it that. :laugh:
It usually looks to me like he's actively trying to trying to wrestle the other guy down rather than land any blows, and there are other times where he just loses his skates because he's Paquette. I mean, I can't really recall many fights where he was just getting rained on by fists. Either way, I think he knows as well as anyone that he's not a fighter. But he's also not the type to back down.

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
adam-erne-2017-55.jpg

Erne's player profile picture on NHL.com :laugh:

Last edited:

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
He's hit a wall. Still, I think we should switch him with Killorn. Might jumpstart him, and even if it doesn't, he can't be worse than what Killorn is right now.

When Killorn wakes up (heals up?) we can switch them back. But Killer's a black hole at the moment.

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
You know who's probably impressed me the most this year as a fighter? Namestnikov. For all of his other faults, he's more than held his own in all of his fights. He never struck me as the kind of guy who'd have a mean-streak, but his fights suggest otherwise.

Check out Namestnikovs fights on YouTube. He doesn't stray too far from his weight class but he knows his ****.

Went old school on fabbri :laugh:

Bolt 45

Oct 19, 2015
Check out Namestnikovs fights on YouTube. He doesn't stray too far from his weight class but he knows his ****.

Went old school on fabbri :laugh:
Ha! That Fabbri fight was beauty... I'm always amazed at how angry and violent Names is during fights. If he played with an ounce of that anger every night he'd be a completely different player.

The Gongshow

Fire JBB
Jul 17, 2014
Toronto
Erne has been pretty underwhelming. It doesn't help that he's playing with ... I don't even know who he's playing with on that 3rd or 4th line. Maybe if he took Killorns spot and played with Drouin we could see the kid go

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
Erne has been pretty underwhelming. It doesn't help that he's playing with ... I don't even know who he's playing with on that 3rd or 4th line. Maybe if he took Killorns spot and played with Drouin we could see the kid go

I mean - he's being given no chance to produce. I've seen some flashes of skill, and he certainly likes throwing his weight around.

I mean - ****, he's been playing with Brown and McKegg, right? Kucherov wouldn't produce with those linemates. I have no idea why, with all of our injuries, Coop won't move him up a bit and give him a shot.

Edit: I was lying. I have an idea why. Because Coop's gonna Coop.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Different level of game from him tonight. We can really use a guy like this moving forward.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad