Player Discussion: Adam Erne

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Presumably he's up right now just to get a feel for things. Besides, last night is pretty much how Coop can be expected to manage that (for better or for worse), so getting penciled in on the fourth line doesn't necessarily mean de facto fourth-liner. Not to mention, the situation changes when Stammer and Cally come back. I definitely don't see him as Top-6 in our lineup yet, and if no moves get made between now and October, he's not a lock on the third line either. So... what? Bury him in Syracuse until the right slot opens up? I say ice the best lineup we can and juggle lines it until it works, because the line juggling's going to happen anyway.

Well, with a normal coach, I think he'd have the opportunity to play his way into the top-six. That's not to say he would do it, but he brings an element that is just not present anywhere in our lineup. Where he does bring things aside from scoring, I think he might start out on more of an even playing field with the rest of the roster than we're used to seeing with Coop. But he's going to have to bring that big, strong, nasty game consistently in order to stick.

Bolt 45

Oct 19, 2015
Well, with a normal coach, I think he'd have the opportunity to play his way into the top-six. That's not to say he would do it, but he brings an element that is just not present anywhere in our lineup. Where he does bring things aside from scoring, I think he might start out on more of an even playing field with the rest of the roster than we're used to seeing with Coop. But he's going to have to bring that big, strong, nasty game consistently in order to stick.
I think we're seeing the same things in Erne. I'm just pointing out that our roster seems to be reaching the stage where we can expect a little more from the fourth line, not that Erne is a future fourth liner. He's not, but if he has to play there for a little while on this team it'll be because of depth, which I would view as a very, very good thing. I like everything I've seen from the kid so far, and depending on how he adjusts to NHL defensemen, I wouldn't rule out Top-6 at some point. It does seem like Coop maybe trusts him a little more, but it's easy to see why. He hasn't really looked lost or uncertain, he just goes out and plays hockey. He's like Point in that sense.

Bolt 45

Oct 19, 2015
We're planning to keep this Erne kid around, right? Hope so. Gotta love the way he broke out the preemptive Forsberg check that Engblom's always referencing. This kid's power forward game is straight out of the nineties.

PaulGG

May 15, 2011
Showing he can be a pest at times and get in the opponents head, this is a good thing.

Volodya Krutov

Lost Cosmonaut
Jan 18, 2012
Played a much better game against the Sabres, he looks versatile for a physical player, I like that.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
No one takes Paquette seriously, which is a problem for someone trying to be a pest.

Dumont is a better pest, agitator and fighter than Paquette. Paquette has a bit more offense and PK ability which is what keeps him around.

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
No one takes Paquette seriously, which is a problem for someone trying to be a pest.

When Paquette plays his best game, he is just as good of a pest as anybody. But sadly usually he's just skating all over the ice and sometimes throws a check.

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
What is your definition? If it's getting under people's skin like you said, it's definitely Paquette and Brown

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
Back when we had Gudas he was in the middle of every scrum. :laugh:

Bolt 45

Oct 19, 2015
What is your definition? If it's getting under people's skin like you said, it's definitely Paquette and Brown
Brown can be on occasion, but not to the extent that Dumont and Paquette are. Erne seems like he knows how to be one too. Which guys wind up in the most little collisions, shoving matches and verbal exchanges during line changes? There's a reason for that. Those guys tend to be your pests. Fighting's something else all together, and a lot of notorious pests kind of try to avoid fights, which infuriates the other team even more.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Brown can be on occasion, but not to the extent that Dumont and Paquette are. Erne seems like he knows how to be one too. Which guys wind up in the most little collisions, shoving matches and verbal exchanges during line changes? There's a reason for that. Those guys tend to be your pests. Fighting's something else all together, and a lot of notorious pests kind of try to avoid fights, which infuriates the other team even more.

Feels like other teams hate Paquette before the game even starts. Not sure what he's doing, but it seems like he's definitely getting a rep. IMO, that's a good thing for us.

With fights, Paquette avoids them unless the other guy is 6'4 or taller, it seems. He has no interest in fighting anyone near his own weight class. (e.g. the Chara incident.)

Bolt 45

Oct 19, 2015
Feels like other teams hate Paquette before the game even starts. Not sure what he's doing, but it seems like he's definitely getting a rep. IMO, that's a good thing for us.

With fights, Paquette avoids them unless the other guy is 6'4 or taller, it seems. He has no interest in fighting anyone near his own weight class. (e.g. the Chara incident.)
Yeah, I don't know. I guess he just plays a super scrappy game. He's almost like a fourth-line version of Marchand. His fights are generally ill-advised, and yet he never ends up getting as demolished as he should. Paquette plays hockey like a stray dog, and I mean that in a good way.

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
Paquette is not really a good fighter. Brown is way better.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad