Player Discussion: Adam Erne

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Seems like this thread could use a bump since he's the talk of the town right now. Still a lot of debate as to what his potential could be. He's not full developed yet but is 5 years removed from his draft and will be 23 next month. There's not much more developing left though so is getting close to the finished product.

Just comparing him to other past lightning players who were in similar positions I don't think he's as good as Panik or Connolly, offensively at least. Both those players also looked far more impressive especially in the AHL prior to coming to the NHL. At the NHL level they all struggled with consistency but all look like they belong in the league just not as top 6 players like we hoped. If we lower our expectations for Erne to that of a 15 goal 25 point low end 3rd liner then he has a spot for us, if we are expecting 20+ goals and 40 points then we'll run him out of town because he's not that.

Werewolf

Oct 29, 2013
Tampa
I’ll leave my prediction here. Top 9 forward that can slot anywhere up and down in the lineup. He will get PP2 time in front of net and score 45+ points.

Vasilevskiy

The cat will be back
Dec 30, 2008
Barcelona
I gotta agree with Sky04 in the recent posts... I think his production has not been good enough... and I think he will be soon out of the team.

Personally I have not been really impressed (even less if I compare him to Cirelli), maybe he's an upgrade over Honey Badger (arguably), but that's about it. Don't see a lot of room for improvement either.

Tampacuseforever

Nov 3, 2012
Depth player that soon will be overtaken by the likes of Joseph, Mitchell, Volkov etc. Lacks the consistency to stick. Reminds me of a poor mans Richard Panik he leaves you wanting for more but usually comes up short.

Reactions: Still All In

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
I’ll leave my prediction here. Top 9 forward that can slot anywhere up and down in the lineup. He will get PP2 time in front of net and score 45+ points.

Alex Killorn has been a top 9 forward with PP time for several years and has yet to crack 45 points, I just don't see that in Erne.

Reactions: DaBolts

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
He played a hell of a game last night. That line was always in their end and I thought it was the only line that really played 60 mins.
I still think of him as a fourth liner, but I think he could be an effective one. Basically a better Paquette.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
I still think of him as a fourth liner, but I think he could be an effective one. Basically a better Paquette.

If he keeps playing like he did last night I wouldnt mind him on our 3rd. He has improved his skating to where I trust him out there a little longer than a 4th liner would be. If we have him on our 4th line that is some insane depth.

Reactions: Werewolf

Crunchrulz

Apr 30, 2010
USA
Interesting that many keep forgetting about Erne still being unsigned. If he signs first, then his contract amount cannot be used towards Point. If Point signs first, there may not be enough left in the coffers to make Erne happy. No brainer who should get priority, but still adds an interesting flair to the overall plot.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
Interesting that many keep forgetting about Erne still being unsigned. If he signs first, then his contract amount cannot be used towards Point. If Point signs first, there may not be enough left in the coffers to make Erne happy. No brainer who should get priority, but still adds an interesting flair to the overall plot.

Doesnt Erne have to sign a contract in order to play this year though? Hes restricted so he cant become a UFA until his RFA status is up. He didnt file for arbitration which is what I found interesting. Which would have given TB a deadline to sign him or hes a UFA.

BeingTheThunder

Jul 9, 2018
www.beingthethunder.com
Doesnt Erne have to sign a contract in order to play this year though? Hes restricted so he cant become a UFA until his RFA status is up. He didnt file for arbitration which is what I found interesting. Which would have given TB a deadline to sign him or hes a UFA.
I thought it was interesting also that he didn't file for arb. Can someone explain why one would not?

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
I thought it was interesting also that he didn't file for arb. Can someone explain why one would not?

Only thing that comes to my mind is that he wants to stay in TB. If he filed for Arbitration there was a chance that TB wouldnt match what he won in arbitration and he becomes a UFA. Why he wouldnt want that, I dont know? Maybe Erne and TB see him taking a bigger role this year with Miller now gone. It gives him a chance to play with better players and that could inflate his numbers going forward. Right now hes really only played a 4th line role going up on the 3rd once in a while. Maybe TB is saying if he has a good camp he could get some top 6 time and that could be huge for him. I dont know just guessing.

Qubax

Oct 25, 2002
Visit site
Only thing that comes to my mind is that he wants to stay in TB. If he filed for Arbitration there was a chance that TB wouldnt match what he won in arbitration and he becomes a UFA. Why he wouldnt want that, I dont know? Maybe Erne and TB see him taking a bigger role this year with Miller now gone. It gives him a chance to play with better players and that could inflate his numbers going forward. Right now hes really only played a 4th line role going up on the 3rd once in a while. Maybe TB is saying if he has a good camp he could get some top 6 time and that could be huge for him. I dont know just guessing.

I hope you're right that perhaps they see a bigger role for him with Miller gone.

But with all the depth forwards on TB does he even make the team?

I feel like you could make an argument that Erne is poised to be somewhere between the 9th and 15th forward. Only 9-12 keeps him in the lineup.

He can't be asking for very many $$'s, I'm just hoping he has a place to play.

Reactions: CupsOverCash

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
I hope you're right that perhaps they see a bigger role for him with Miller gone.

I feel like you could make an argument that Erne is poised to be somewhere between the 9th and 15th forward. Only 9-12 keeps him in the lineup.

It will depend on his camp. I know there are a few players who would like to take Miller's place. Joseph off the top of my head could really be a threat to Erne on the roster and getting the minutes he wants. Of course there are a few players from Syracuse who have something to say about it too. I have high hopes for Erne this year. I think if he put it together he could be what we need in the top 6. I just dont know if we have seen enough from him to warrant that yet. However its a new year and he will have something to say about getting that spot.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB

I think his spot on the team is pretty safe, barring a shocker of a breakout performance by more than one player. We have Miller to replace and Martel's pressbox spot could be given to someone else, who would have a bigger role than Martel. I don't really see Erne being on the bubble this year. I think we'll see him signed to a 1 year deal, and then, if he doesn't earn an extension, we'll trade him for a mid or low-mid pick.

I don't see us rolling a ton of rookies though. One will have to take Miller's spot already, and there's a decent chance Foote will make it on the blue line.

Qubax

Oct 25, 2002
Visit site
You guys have higher interpretations of his place in the Bolts lineup then I would have.

That being said, I love the player. I just didn't think he'd really get a Top 9-12 fair shake, but sounds like you folks think he likely will.

I think his upside is a Top 2 line skilled big winger. He reminds me a little of Micheal Ferland or what Steve Bernier should have been.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad