Player Discussion: Adam Erne

jayslightning79

@jayslightning79
Aug 22, 2013
Moncton NB
One of the guys who stood out the most as of today in training camp is Adam Erne. Somehow I thought guys like Jonathan Drouin, Nikita Kucherov or Vlad Namestnikov would stand out a lot more than him, but from what I have seen from Adam Erne during training camp and prospect camp, he should definitely be in the same conversations as the above mentioned prospects.

If Erne can keep playing the way he has, he should force Steve Yzerman and company to make a very tough decision (providing that he gets an entry-level deal).

I think a player like Erne could really help the Lightning this year, but I wouldn't be opposed to see him go back to Quebec and play top minutes. His size, his ability to find open area, his physicality and his scoring touch could only be positives for a team that consists of a lot of small-ish forwards.

For a player who had hiccups this season under Patrick Roy (with his teammates) and seen his draft stock go from the top 15-20 down to 33rd overall pick, he really looks like a steal at this point. He also looks a lot mature than his age suggest.

He might not be on the roster for 2013-2014 (mostly because there's not enough roster spots available) but Im sure he'll see time next season at the NHL level.

What are your thoughts on Adam Erne's Training camp/Prospect camp???

2 Minute Minor

Hi Keeba!
Jun 3, 2008
Temple, Texas
Blues fan here.

The game last night was only available by audio. Can anyone comment on the Erne hit vs Sobotka (that knocked Sobotka out of the game)? Sounds like he's back in practice today, but Coach Hitchcock made comments to the press to the effect that he expects a suspension.

Anyone who saw what happened able to describe it or shed more light?

Sounds like Erne really had a great game all around last night. I know Stewart mentioned that no one retaliated with picking a fight because of his young age, despite not being happy with the hit. He sounds like a rising talent for the Lightning. I just found myself wondering whether he might get suspended and then not end up serving it for a year or two after getting sent back to juniors.

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ
Blues fan here.

The game last night was only available by audio. Can anyone comment on the Erne hit vs Sobotka (that knocked Sobotka out of the game)? Sounds like he's back in practice today, but Coach Hitchcock made comments to the press to the effect that he expects a suspension.

Sounds like Erne really had a great game all around last night. I know Stewart mentioned that no one retaliated with picking a fight because of his young age, despite not being happy with the hit. He sounds like a rising talent for the Lightning. I just found myself wondering whether he might get suspended and then not end up serving it for a year or two after getting sent back to juniors.
I didn't see it, but Erne talked about it after the game

http://tbo.com/sports/lightning/erne-scores-twice-as-bolts-rally-to-win-20130918/
“I was facing one way, then I turned the other way and he was kind of right there, and I wanted to hit him, I didn’t think I was going to hit his head, I didn’t mean to and I apologize,’’ Erne said. “It was not intentional. ... It was my fault, but I didn’t intend to do that.’’
https://twitter.com/LightningTimes
Lightning apparently hasn't heard anything from the league regarding Erne hit on Sobotka, so seems like no discipline.

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
Blues fan here.

There's not a whole lot to it. No real story or anything. It was a fairly routine open ice hit that made contact with the head.

It was a lot like the Jordan Nolan hit, but without the severity.

Last edited:

2 Minute Minor

Hi Keeba!
Jun 3, 2008
Temple, Texas
I like this Erne kid.

Thanks for the information.

In the pre-season you expect the league to be a lot stricter about this stuff to establish the norm. I guess Ken Hitchcock will be disappointed. Fortunately, it sounds like Sobotka is back in practice today and doing alright.

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ
http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/...adshot/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter
Tampa Bay Lightning prospect Adam Erne will have a disciplinary hearing for his headshot on St. Louis’ Vladimir Sobotka during a 4-3 shootout win on Wednesday, according to an NHL spokesman.

Erne, 18, caught Sobotka with what appeared to be an elbow or shoulder (video not available) and was given a two-minute minor for illegal check to the head. Sobotka left the contest and didn’t return.

MattM92

Dec 8, 2010
FL
I hope they cut the kid some slack. Didn't see the hit but it sounds like it was completely accidental. Unfortunately, intent no longer matters with the rule change they made this summer.

2 Minute Minor

Hi Keeba!
Jun 3, 2008
Temple, Texas
You're going to get things called tighter in the pre-season, but this is almost identical to a hit Ian Cole (Blues) made last year that resulted in a suspension (vs Chicago).

Its a shame that this will probably end Erne's preseason appearances. At least he got a lot of mileage out of the remainder of the game after this hit was delivered.

From a Blues fan, it looks like an illegal hit (and was called on the ice as such). I don't mind the suspension as long as they call it consistently across the league. I'm not so sure that's the case. Its easy to make an example of a young player in the pre-season. We'll see what happens when Patrick Kane makes a check like this. (Oh who am I kidding, Patrick Kane is never going to make that play.)

2 Minute Minor

Hi Keeba!
Jun 3, 2008
Temple, Texas
Interesting that the punishment specifies PRESEASON games. Theoretically, Erne could be sent down tomorrow and serve this next year in the preseason?

I'm guessing if they were about to demote him anyway, they'll keep him on the Lightning roster just to get this out of the way before returning to junior hockey.

Revo

Jun 29, 2011
Quebec City
I'm biased (look on the left), but I believe he should come back with the Remparts, and make the Lightning next year if he progresses normally.

There are some cases where players kept too long in a league can be hindered in their development (could have been the case with Huberdeau had there been no 2013 season at all), but I feel it's usually rushing players that's harmful (Grigorenko, in my opinion). The key factor being, unlike Huberdeau, that Erne has yet to dominate the league, although he was lining up for that, at the beginning of last season. After that, it was very up and down. Not that it's surprising or disappointing from a 17 years old, but making the NHL at 18 is an unusual feat, not the norm.

I hope Erne impresses the hockey world for years to come, I know he can.

jayslightning79

@jayslightning79
Aug 22, 2013
Moncton NB
I'm biased (look on the left), but I believe he should come back with the Remparts, and make the Lightning next year if he progresses normally.

There are some cases where players kept too long in a league can be hindered in their development (could have been the case with Huberdeau had there been no 2013 season at all), but I feel it's usually rushing players that's harmful (Grigorenko, in my opinion). The key factor being, unlike Huberdeau, that Erne has yet to dominate the league, although he was lining up for that, at the beginning of last season. After that, it was very up and down. Not that it's surprising or disappointing from a 17 years old, but making the NHL at 18 is an unusual feat, not the norm.

I hope Erne impresses the hockey world for years to come, I know he can.

I agree with you completely, I don't want to sacrifice some of his development by keeping him at the NHL level and only get 10-13 min a game. I really think Adam Erne has done a tremendous job getting physically ready for an NHL season. I like what he could bring to the table in 2013 but I also understand that it would be better for him to head back to Quebec and play 20-25mins a game then play in the U20 world juniors for USA. I think this would be the best way to develop his scoring, his 2 way game.

I kinda want Steve Yzerman to hand him an entry-level contract so we can see him play at least 9 regular seasons games. If the Lightnings wouldn't have all this depth at winger positions, It would be a no-brainer that he would make the team, but with Jonathan Drouin, Tyler Johnson, Brett Connolly, Richard Panik, Nikita Kucherov, Ondrej Palat, Dana Tyrell all trying to get the 3 open spots. I think he'll be sent back down to Quebec and he'll hopefully dominate the league.

I wouldn't be surprised to see some veterans like Tom Pyatt, or Ryan Malone, Purcell (via trade) pushed off the roster. I think Brett Connolly dominance this preseason has locked himself a spot on the roster, Panik and TJ. If the Lightning want to keep Drouin this season they will have to either drop Pyatt to AHL or trade one of the veterans.

Perfect trade Scenario, Teddy Purcell and a prospect for a top 4 Dmen. I know top 4 Dmen are almost never traded though so I don't have my hopes up.

2 Minute Minor

Hi Keeba!
Jun 3, 2008
Temple, Texas

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ
So how does this work....he serves the suspension NEXT pre-season?

And let's say he got a late-season call-up. It won't affect any regular season games?

I guess I thought the Lightning would leave him on the roster to finish out his suspension regardless of whether they were ready to send him down.
I'm guessing they sent him back right now because he doesn't need to be on the camp roster in order to serve his suspension. He just can't be in the next 3 preseason (this preseason) games which would make him available for only the final preseason game.

jayslightning79

@jayslightning79
Aug 22, 2013
Moncton NB
So how does this work....he serves the suspension NEXT pre-season?

And let's say he got a late-season call-up. It won't affect any regular season games?

I guess I thought the Lightning would leave him on the roster to finish out his suspension regardless of whether they were ready to send him down.

he'll serve his suspension in next year's preseason, no need for him to be with the team and not play games. Looks like sending him back to junior was the plan all along. After Brett Connolly's rookie year, I think Lightning player development learned from rushing rookies to the NHL. I wouldn't be surprised to see Drouin sent down, but I think he'll stick with the club.

If the Lightning were planning to send Erne back, they are better off sending him now so he can play 20-25 minutes a game in Quebec rather than watch the games from the pressbox for the rest of preseason.

As for the suspension he'll serves next preseason. I doubt he'll be a late call up though. He still hasn't signed an entry-level contract yet.

zeykshade

May 27, 2011
Tannhauser Gate
he'll serve his suspension in next year's preseason, no need for him to be with the team and not play games. Looks like sending him back to junior was the plan all along. After Brett Connolly's rookie year, I think Lightning player development learned from rushing rookies to the NHL. I wouldn't be surprised to see Drouin sent down, but I think he'll stick with the club.

If the Lightning were planning to send Erne back, they are better off sending him now so he can play 20-25 minutes a game in Quebec rather than watch the games from the pressbox for the rest of preseason.

As for the suspension he'll serves next preseason. I doubt he'll be a late call up though. He still hasn't signed an entry-level contract yet.

Keeping Connolly up his rookie year was absolutely the right thing to do. If the Remparts were as ****ing awful as the Prince George Cougars were, there'd be an argument to keep Erne up as well. Remparts are not awful though and Erne is their Captain. He also doesn't have to deal with Patrick Roy not liking him anymore.

Also, he won't have to serve the suspension next pre-season.

Last edited:

2 Minute Minor

Hi Keeba!
Jun 3, 2008
Temple, Texas
If it were me, I'd keep him on the roster at least for tonight's game to get it down to just 2 games suspension. But whatever, not a big deal. Its just kind of weird to suspend an 18-year old kid who doesn't even have an ELC yet.

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ
Here' the word from DC
"@captkirk42: will he have to serve his suspension during next seasons camp?" >> No. Suspension will be done.

I doubt he'll be a late call up though. He still hasn't signed an entry-level contract yet.
He could join the Crunch when Quebec's season is over. If he doesn't have an ELC by then he can join them with an ATO.
If it were me, I'd keep him on the roster at least for tonight's game to get it down to just 2 games suspension. But whatever, not a big deal. Its just kind of weird to suspend an 18-year old kid who doesn't even have an ELC yet.
Yeah weird but you have to punish him somehow if you think he deserves it. At the worst, it's Shanny sending a message to all guys new to the league that that sort of thing isn't acceptable.
Keeping Connolly up his rookie year was absolutely the right thing to do. If the Remparts were as ****ing awful as the Prince George Cougars were, there'd be an argument to keep Erne up as well. Remparts are not awful though and Erne is their Captain. He also doesn't have to deal with Patrick Roy not liking him anymore.

Connolly was also a year older, not right out of the draft.

Erne looks very promising. What a summer for him. First at the US WJC camp, then at the prospects tournament, and as good a game you could have as an NHL debut. But there's still some stuff Erne can work on. 2 of the things that made him drop in the draft were game to game consistency and his training habits. If Erne's going to play a power forward game in the NHL, he's gonna need to bulk up to play up to his potential and hold up during an 82 game schedule. He also gets some more responsibility with leadership like zeykshade said and counted on more without Grigorenko to be the go-to-guy.

Last edited:

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Does Quebec have a game tonight or tomorrow night? Not sure why not just send him back tomorrow morning and count tonight's game. Missing 3 games next year isn't a lot but if he's trying to earn a spot he most likely would've played 2 of them to impress. The first preseason games are where the prospects get to shine.

SergeConstantin74

Always right.
Jul 7, 2007
He can serve his suspension this year and play for Quebec at the same time. He doesn't have to be in Tampa to serve his suspension!

After a discussion between the NHL and the QMJHL Commissioner Gilles Courteau in the evening, it was agreed "that they would allow the player to align with his junior team if he is returned before the end of the suspension as the act was committed in an exhibition game. But if he had molested an official, for example, he would have served his full sanction, " confirmed the QMJHL disciple director Raymond Bolduc.

http://blogues.lapresse.ca/remparts/2013/09/19/une-suspension-pour-erne/

It is also written in the article that he's flying to Quebec tomorrow and will be playing on Sunday in Rimouski.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad