Adam Berti, opinions

Status
Not open for further replies.

willie

Mar 3, 2002
Visit site
Mack said:
Whats everyones opinion of this guy?

what do you think he can turn out to be.

As an Avs fan i really REALLY want this guy to fall to the 28-30 spot. but i dont think he will. is there a chance he could?

There is a very good chance he will be around at the spot. The consesus seems to be late first round/early second round (or thereabouts) and Colorado will be picking right about there.

He will be an interesting pick though. On the one hand he is big, fast, can fight, has overcome adversary and has shown offensive potential. On the other hand, his offensive production and physical play have been inconsistent and he has that previous injury looming over his head. (although I believe it was a genetic problem and shouldn't cause him problems in the future)

friction

5-14-6-1
Nov 17, 2003
Calgary
I think he would be a great addition to the Edmonton Oilers mainly because of his speed, and because the Oil currently hold Philadelphia's first rounder, which is about as late 1st round as you can get.

Mack

Nov 5, 2002
Prince George, BC
oilers112 said:
I think he would be a great addition to the Edmonton Oilers mainly because of his speed, and because the Oil currently hold Philadelphia's first rounder, which is about as late 1st round as you can get.

if the oilers take him....ill....be....mad...

Vincent_TheGreat

Feb 27, 2002
Ontario
Visit site
Mack said:
Whats everyones opinion of this guy?

what do you think he can turn out to be.

As an Avs fan i really REALLY want this guy to fall to the 28-30 spot. but i dont think he will. is there a chance he could?

I love the guy. IMO should be a 1st round pick. Big, strong and fast, good vision and hockey sense. 3rd best OHLer behind Schremp and Wolski.

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA
ohlprospects.blogspot.com
Voodoo Daddy said:

And Bickell and Mcgrath too IMO.

I like Berti too, but IMO He's the 6th best OHL prospect for the draft currently. I think since his good showing in the prospect's game he's become somewhat overrated. He's still got a lot of question marks surrounding him, like his inconsistency and past injury problems (which have dropped many players in the draft before him).

leafaholix*

Isn't Berti a powerforward type player?

I only saw a little bit of him.

FearTheFlyers

Feb 3, 2003
Visit site
He's very strong and good on his skates for a big man, should attract attention on draft day. He seems to disappear at times though..I would say late 1st rounder..

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
Chimera I guess feels you don't draft a player who allready had knee surgery....may be right but with the doctors now aday a player can have a decent career like that.

willie

Mar 3, 2002
Visit site
From my understanding his knees should not be a problem in the future. I believe the surgery he had was because of a genetic problem, not an injury. I could be wrong but I think Berti could have played last year but it would have put his career at risk down the line whereas if he had the surgery he would sacrifice his OHL rookie year but not be at an increased risk for injuries in the future. I could be way off but this is how it was explained to me. (and I'm sure the team that picks him will thoroughly check out his situation)

And Bickell and Mcgrath too IMO.

I agree with McGrath but not Bickell. Bickell, to me, is one of the most overrated players in the draft. I would say he has very limited offensive upside (his offensive production essentially consists of a really flukey start) and even his physical game (much like Berti) is inconsistent. I have seen him over a dozen times live in the past 2 seasons (and many more times when he was playing minor hockey) and I just don't see what the fuss is about. A nice player who could become a role player in the NHL but I don't see much else.

If I had to rank the OHL guys it would probably go:

1) Schremp
2) Wolski
3) Bolland
4) McGrath
5) Berti/Garlock

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA
ohlprospects.blogspot.com
willie said:
From my understanding his knees should not be a problem in the future. I believe the surgery he had was because of a genetic problem, not an injury. I could be wrong but I think Berti could have played last year but it would have put his career at risk down the line whereas if he had the surgery he would sacrifice his OHL rookie year but not be at an increased risk for injuries in the future. I could be way off but this is how it was explained to me. (and I'm sure the team that picks him will thoroughly check out his situation)

Well the same sort of thing was said with Danny Fritsche last year, with his shoulders, and that appeared to be one of the reasons he fell in the draft.

willie said:
I agree with McGrath but not Bickell. Bickell, to me, is one of the most overrated players in the draft. I would say he has very limited offensive upside (his offensive production essentially consists of a really flukey start) and even his physical game (much like Berti) is inconsistent. I have seen him over a dozen times live in the past 2 seasons (and many more times when he was playing minor hockey) and I just don't see what the fuss is about. A nice player who could become a role player in the NHL but I don't see much else.

If I had to rank the OHL guys it would probably go:

1) Schremp
2) Wolski
3) Bolland
4) McGrath
5) Berti/Garlock

I like Bickell to be honest, although I haven't seen him nearly as many times as you. The few times I've seen him, he's shown me that he does have some untaped offensive ability. He's also a good skater and a strong defensive player. I think his physical game is much more consistent then Berti's, although I do agree that his offensive game is equally as inconsistent.

There is one thing that I agree on with Bickell though and that is I'm unsure of whether he has the potential to be anything more than a 3rd liner in the NHL. However some teams look at sure things later in the draft, because in reality if you can pull a third liner out of the first round where on average only about a third of the kids make an impact in the NHL, you are doing alright.

wolfen

Jan 26, 2003
seattle
Visit site
the "scouting suicide" comment...

I can't speak for chimera, but the way I read it, he was saying that berti wouldn't last until the avs' pick.

John E. Ringo

Aug 18, 2003
Visit site

I can't speak for chimera, but the way I read it, he was saying that berti wouldn't last until the avs' pick.

I would take it to mean as a scout you better be darn sure you want to take the kid because he is the type who could cost you your job. As a boom or bust kind of player if you push him as a first rounder, and he busts, seeya in the unemployment line.

Dr_Chimera*

wolfen said:

No, I meant the opposite. He doesn't have great hands. Okay hands.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->