ACTUAL Power Play Opportunities

Beville

#ForTheBoys
Mar 4, 2011
Engerlanddd!
Is there a stat for Actual Power Play time?

I mean, you'll look at a game and they'll say Team X went 0-for-7 on the PP, which would imply said team had 14 minutes of PP time.

Now, we all know in the great game of hockey that that is never quite the case, due to 4-on-4 and goals being scored...

So, to put it simply...

Has anyone devised a table or something to show how much ACTUAL PP time each team had?

Hammer Time

May 3, 2011
NHL.com game summaries include the exact amount of time each team spent on the PP, and also includes breakdowns by situation (5v4, 5v3, 4v3)

For example, here is the game summary for the Bruins/Canucks regular season game last January: http://www.nhl.com/scores/htmlreports/20112012/GS020598.HTM

Vancouver is credited as having been 4 for 11 in 13:34 of PP time and Boston as 0 for 7 in 12:24.

Aggregate data can be found on NHL.com as well:

http://www.nhl.com/ice/teamstats.ht...etail.powerplaySeconds&viewName=powerPlayTime

In the most recent season, the Flyers led the league with 549 minutes on the power play, whereas the Avalanche only had 362 minutes of PP time.

Metzen

Sep 9, 2005
Is there a stat for Actual Power Play time?

I mean, you'll look at a game and they'll say Team X went 0-for-7 on the PP, which would imply said team had 14 minutes of PP time.

Now, we all know in the great game of hockey that that is never quite the case, due to 4-on-4 and goals being scored...

So, to put it simply...

Has anyone devised a table or something to show how much ACTUAL PP time each team had?

NHL.com give you actual time stats.

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
A more important question is, does this matter?

are there major discrepancies by the time the season is over between the rankings of teams by PP "opportunities" and by "actual PP time"? My assumption has always been that the official and well-known PPO stat is a very reasonable proxy for PP time. let's see:

PP time:

PHI
CBJ
MTL
DET
LAK
CAR
FLA
CHI
NYR
PIT
VAN
SJS
ANA
NJD
OTT
TBL
CGY
TOR
EDM
STL
MIN
PHX
BUF
BOS
WPG
DAL
NYI
WSH
NSH
COL

PPO:

PHI
CBJ
MTL
DET
CAR
LAK
PIT
VAN
FLA
NYR
CHI
ANA
SJS
OTT
STL
TBL
NJD
TOR
EDM
CGY
MIN
BUF
PHX
WPG
BOS
NSH
WSH
DAL
NYI
COL

biggest outliers:

St. Louis. they had 15th-most PPO, but 20th-most PP time. (5)
Pittsburgh. 7th/10th (3)
Vancouver. 8th-11th (3)
Chicago. 11th/8th (3)
New Jersey. 17th/14th (3)
Calgary. 20th/17th (3)
Nashville. 26th/29th (3)

just three teams are off by two, so 20 of 30 teams are either right on, or off by just one.

the correlation between PPO and PP time is .9814.

therefore, I am still comfortable using PPO as a shorthand without worrying about actual PP time.

Timmer44

Mar 3, 2006
Van City
A more important question is, does this matter?

are there major discrepancies by the time the season is over between the rankings of teams by PP "opportunities" and by "actual PP time"? My assumption has always been that the official and well-known PPO stat is a very reasonable proxy for PP time. let's see:
<snip>
therefore, I am still comfortable using PPO as a shorthand without worrying about actual PP time.

Great post, thanks.

cujoflutie

Can somebody clear up something I've been wondering;

how are major penalties tabulated in official stats?
I've heard some people say that a 5 minute PP is tallied as 1 PP, I've also heard it's tallied as 1 more PP than goals scored during it.

So if a team gets one powerplay in a game-a 5 minute major and scores 3 goals on it, what would their powerplay stats be for the game? 3 for 1 or 3 for 4?

Hammer Time

May 3, 2011
Can somebody clear up something I've been wondering;

how are major penalties tabulated in official stats?
I've heard some people say that a 5 minute PP is tallied as 1 PP, I've also heard it's tallied as 1 more PP than goals scored during it.

So if a team gets one powerplay in a game-a 5 minute major and scores 3 goals on it, what would their powerplay stats be for the game? 3 for 1 or 3 for 4?

Every time a goal is scored, a new PP opportunity is deemed to have begun. So if a team scores 3 PPGs on a major they would be deemed to have 4 opportunities. Also, if the team on the PP takes a two minute minor, making it four-on-four, the team is credited with another PPO when their penalized player is back on the ice.

From the Vancouver/Boston game I mentioned earlier in the thread:

Bruins penalties
3:54 Thornton, Lucic - Kesler scored 5-on-3, Bruins killed the remaining 5-on-4 time
16:26 Peverley - killed
18:45 Pouliot - killed
34:47 Seguin - Burrows PPG
36:43 Krejci - killed
38:47 Marchand major - H. Sedin and Hodgson scored PPGs. D. Sedin served a two-minute minor during this time and stepped back on the ice with Marchand still serving his major.
53:22 Horton - killed

Vancouver was credited with 11 power play opportunities for the game:
- 7 minor penalties taken by the Bruins
- 4 opportunities for the five minute major:
a) one opportunity for the first minute until Henrik's goal
b) one opportunity for the time between Henrik and Hodgson's goals
c) one opportunity for the time between Hodgson's goal and Daniel's penalty
d) one opportunity for the 16 seconds of power play time the Canucks had after Daniel finished serving his penalty

Reactions: Nedved Petr

Canadiens1958

Nov 30, 2007
Lake Memphremagog, QC.
Pre 1956-57 Season

Every time a goal is scored, a new PP opportunity is deemed to have begun. So if a team scores 3 PPGs on a major they would be deemed to have 4 opportunities. Also, if the team on the PP takes a two minute minor, making it four-on-four, the team is credited with another PPO when their penalized player is back on the ice.

From the Vancouver/Boston game I mentioned earlier in the thread:

Bruins penalties
3:54 Thornton, Lucic - Kesler scored 5-on-3, Bruins killed the remaining 5-on-4 time
16:26 Peverley - killed
18:45 Pouliot - killed
34:47 Seguin - Burrows PPG
36:43 Krejci - killed
38:47 Marchand major - H. Sedin and Hodgson scored PPGs. D. Sedin served a two-minute minor during this time and stepped back on the ice with Marchand still serving his major.
53:22 Horton - killed

Vancouver was credited with 11 power play opportunities for the game:
- 7 minor penalties taken by the Bruins
- 4 opportunities for the five minute major:
a) one opportunity for the first minute until Henrik's goal
b) one opportunity for the time between Henrik and Hodgson's goals
c) one opportunity for the time between Hodgson's goal and Daniel's penalty
d) one opportunity for the 16 seconds of power play time the Canucks had after Daniel finished serving his penalty

Pre 1956-57 complete two minute minors had to be served regardless of the number of goals scored against the penalized team.

No official PP stats were kept but in media reports teams would be described as scoring multiple goals during 1 PP.

Do the same procedures apply to defining SH goals and opportunities? It is possible for a penalized team to score multiple SH goals in two minutes. A SH goal also splits the PP opportunity into two segments.

green lantern

Jun 4, 2012
sector 2814
P

Do the same procedures apply to defining SH goals and opportunities? It is possible for a penalized team to score multiple SH goals in two minutes. A SH goal also splits the PP opportunity into two segments.

No because it's the same as any other powerplay with a stoppage in play not changing the manpower advantage.

Now assume the following scenario;
Team A minor penalty @ 3:00
Team B minor penalty @ 3:30
Team A minor penalty @ 3:45

Let's assume no goals are scored; team B would be on the PP from 3:00-3:30, then again from 3:45-5:00 (4 on 3) and then again from 5:30-5:45. Would they be charged with 3 powerplays?

EmeticDonut

Oct 7, 2006
Apologies for the resurrection. But I always found the "goals/PPO" metric to be flawed in measuring how efficient a PP is. There are numerous times where a PP is cut short by the PP team taking a penalty and negating the whole thing, but it still counts as a PPO. Wouldn't a more accurate measure be "time on PP/goals"?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad