Speculation: Acq/ Rost. Bldg./ Cap Part XXXV: Trotzyism in Action

Status
Not open for further replies.

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
I don't really believe either of those posts. They are not from reliable people and their published sourcing is very weak. "two sources" on Erskine doesn't even connect that to the NHL in anyway. Believe nothing about that.

While I don't believe the Brouwer anymore than the Erskine, he is the player that makes the most sense to move if Wilson in playing RW on one of the top 3 lines. Even if OV is moved back to LW, they still have Wilson, Ward and Fehr. Plus it seems clear that they are looking for a roster spot for Bura.

Well I got them from Japers Rink and JP and co. are usually pretty good about not linking random scrubs. I've seen that guy before sourcing stuff.

Its not exactly far fetched that they would be trying to move those two players for obvious reasons.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Maybe Erskine needs to be moved to bring in the the Biz. It makes sense to have your goon be a forward in the modern era.

Last edited:

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Well I got them from Japers Rink and JP and co. are usually pretty good about not linking random scrubs. I've seen that guy before sourcing stuff.

Its not exactly far fetched that they would be trying to move those two players for obvious reasons.

the way this stuff works is that you describe the source as closely as you are allowed to by permission of the source. NHL front office sources. NHL GM's. NHL team personel. NHL agents. whatever it might be. saying two sources could mean two cab drivers.

Far fetched? no. but that doesn't create any credibility to those "rumors". They are based on nothing. yes, its not far fetched that it might rain today. a report that its going to rain though without a credible source carries no weight.

Zoidberg Jesus

Trotzkyist
Oct 25, 2011
Also we didn't have to give up assets to acquire him. Our team is definitely better than last year. Anyone who says otherwise is not being honest and probably has a strong bias since they were against the new moves of management.

I don't think anyone's claimed we're worse than last year. What people like myself are frustrated by is that we could've improved even more.

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
OK I seem to vaguely remember a poster Dashtray. Was he a clown that posted random trade suggestions? Can't remember.

I don't think anyone's claimed we're worse than last year. What people like myself are frustrated by is that we could've improved even more.

Well on paper we improved but not sure how much more improved we would get. We weren't going to sign Grabovski AND Kulemin. I beleive we were in on Kesler but he only wanted to goto select teams.

Ehrhoff would have been nice but clearly he wanted to got Pitt.

We NEEDED to improve the D. 100% NEEDED to and have for 15 years. The D improved.

I know alot of people wanted Strahlman and Fayne as opposed to Orpik and Niskanen but we'll see how these players fare.

Orpik brings some edge that neither of those other two do and he has won a cup and has more experience. Niskanen has been projecting up just like those other two and is more proven offensively to boot.

And its good we got 2 dmen as opposed to 1. To me we can get by with the 2C situation but we cannot afford to have lack of depth on D.

Ajax1995

Dec 9, 2002
There were plenty of trade rumors around Phaneuf at the time and a lot of Leafs fans actually thought that was a good framework, so it wasn't totally outlandish. Even if you don't agree with that, Gorges was traded to Buffalo on July 1. I'm sure he would've waived to come here over Buffalo if we'd made an offer.

I was surprised by what Kulemin got too, but I wouldn't be surprised if he lives up to it. The summer after his big season was the Lokomotiv crash, and apparently he lost a really good friend which really shook him up. He struggled that season and never got another chance at more than a shutdown role in Toronto. I think he gets 20-20 this year.

Trade rumors mean squat IMO. There are 100 rumors for every deal that actually gets done it seems and thus I have a hard time putting any credence in any of them. And what fans think might be a basis for a deal and what actually makes a deal are usually very different.

And while I wanted the Caps to trade for Gorges also he ended up being dealt for a 2nd that is very likely to be extremely early in that round. No way the Habs feel the Caps 2nd in '16 is going to be close to that so are you willing to make that a 1st? And no a middling prospect and the 2nd doesn't close the gap IMO. And no sending a roster player to Montreal at that time doesn't make sense either as the reason they dealt Gorges to begin with was to make sure they had room to resign Subban.

And it doesn't matter what Kulimen does this year. The Caps in no way needed such a player. Paying that for a player you in no way need is simply absurd. And arguing that is the way they should have gone is unbelievably absurd, IMO of course.

I get it, not a fan of Orpik and possibly Niskanen. That doesn't make adding Kulimen for $4+ mil just so you can get Grabovski and then roll out last year's defense or pay a 1st for Gorges anywhere close to a better scenario IMO.

So again, I'll take straight cash for a much better defense and a possible hole at 2C over Grabovski, Gorges, and a way overpaid winger they don't in anyway need plus the loss of a 1st in '16.

Last edited by a moderator:

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
Trade rumors mean squat IMO. There are 100 rumors for every deal that actually gets done it seems and thus I have a hard time putting any credence in any of them. And what fans think might be a basis for a deal and what actually makes a deal are usually very different.

And while I wanted the Caps to trade for Gorges also he ended up being dealt for a 2nd that is very likely to be extremely early in that round. No way the Habs feel the Caps 2nd in '16 is going to be close to that so are you willing to make that a 1st? And no a middling prospect and the 2nd doesn't close the gap IMO. And no sending a roster player to Montreal at that time doesn't make sense either as the reason they dealt Gorges to begin with was to make sure they had room to resign Subban.

And it doesn't matter what Kulimen does this year. The Caps in no way needed such a player. Paying that for a player you in no way need is simply absurd. And arguing that is the way they should have gone is unbelievably absurd, IMO of course.

I get it, not a fan of Orpik and possibly Niskanen. That doesn't make adding Kulimen for $4+ mil just so you can get Grabovski and then roll out last year's defense or pay a 1st for Gorges anywhere close to a better scenario IMO.

So again, I'll take straight cash for a much better defense and a possible hole at 2C over Grabovski, Gorges, and a way overpaid winger they don't in anyway need plus the lost of a 1st in '16.

I agree with your reasoning.

I'll add that there is no guarantee Montreal would have traded Georges to us anyhow even if our offer was similar in their eyes. Montreal KNOWS Buffalo will not be a factor this year so its almost like trading that player to a team from the other conference.

Personally I don't like Grabovski alone at $5 million. Kulemin is massively overrated.

Brian23

Dec 3, 2011
You're quoting dastary? Seriously? Dude that guy made krap up around here for a while before the constant ridicule drove him away. You are seeking him out elsewhere now? Come on Gutter, don't be that guy...

I don't believe but boy do I want to believe.

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
You're quoting dastary? Seriously? Dude that guy made krap up around here for a while before the constant ridicule drove him away. You are seeking him out elsewhere now? Come on Gutter, don't be that guy...

Actually JP and co. had the link on their site and they are reputable in regards to not reporting crap.

I vaguely remember that user name. I don't recall any of the circumstances that gave him such harsh criticism as you say but it does seem he has a negative reputation here.

It stands to reason they have to do something with Erskine. I was expecting LTIR but IF there is any truth to the "rumor" then it means he is healthy and another solutions must be reached. We will find that out soon enough.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
and now you see the rub. he refers to two sources. that's all. "two sources" that are not even identified as nhl related. could be his dentist and hygienist reporting Erskine's hopes of getting traded and with that you are now changing your mind that he is somehow nhl worthy regards his physical.

I have no reason to think John Erskine will ever play another NHL game. "two sources" isn't going to change my mind.

Stewie G

Needed more hitting!
Oct 19, 2009
and now you see the rub. he refers to two sources. that's all. "two sources" that are not even identified as nhl related. could be his dentist and hygienist reporting Erskine's hopes of getting traded and with that you are now changing your mind that he is somehow nhl worthy regards his physical.

I have no reason to think John Erskine will ever play another NHL game. "two sources" isn't going to change my mind.
He and Poti can talk and joke about how some random dude on the internet kept insisting they'll never play again without any kind of supporting information at all.

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009

Regardless Erskine is clearly the odd man out. Its just a matter of how he gets out.

I'll miss his angry play and face punching skills.

All of those rumor mongers cite sources "inside the org". Its nothing new. We'll see how it turns out.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
He and Poti can talk and joke about how some random dude on the internet kept insisting they'll never play again without any kind of supporting information at all.

I believe that I suggested that Poti would not play and then didn't and played out his contract on LTIR.

Stewie G

Needed more hitting!
Oct 19, 2009
I believe that I suggested that Poti would not play and then didn't and played out his contract on LTIR.
You're a stubborn old mule. It sucks to admit when you're wrong, but come on. You claimed Poti was done prior to the lockout and yet he came back for a number of games that season before getting hurt one last time and finishing his contract on LTIR.

Just one example in 2 minutes of searching...

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showpost.php?p=47829489&postcount=896

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
You're a stubborn old mule. It sucks to admit when you're wrong, but come on. You claimed Poti was done prior to the lockout and yet he came back for a number of games that season before getting hurt one last time and finishing his contract on LTIR.

Just one example in 2 minutes of searching...

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showpost.php?p=47829489&postcount=896

If you would call that a "come back". You could tell he was done when you saw him try and play. Same as Erskine tried last year but failed.

Stewie G

Needed more hitting!
Oct 19, 2009
If you would call that a "come back". You could tell he was done when you saw him try and play. Same as Erskine tried last year but failed.
I guess it wouldn't be the internet without someone trying to twist something to fit their line of thinking. The fact that he came back and played, no matter how poorly, makes him wrong. You don't have to try to defend his incorrect usage of absolutes.

ChibiPooky

Yay hockey!
May 25, 2011
Fairfax, VA
I see we've progressed from arguing about how to argue to arguing about who was right five years ago.

Next up, Shredded Wheat vs All-Bran?

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
I see we've progressed from arguing about how to argue to arguing about who was right five years ago.

Next up, Shredded Wheat vs All-Bran?

Well its the offseason and thus lame so everyone is reduced to savagery and cannibalism.

I argue better than you btw. Or at least I can make an argument for that

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->