Speculation: Acq/ Rost. Bldg./ Cap Part XXXI: The Trotzification

Status
Not open for further replies.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
Grabovski or no Grabovski, I expect Trotz to want a more proven center option than the internal "options." Going internal will make it difficult for Trotz to really raise the bar next season. MacLellan's top priority ought to be addressing all key weak links so that their baseline level of play is more competitive. From there they'll be able to evaluate who elevates their game and who doesn't. They need to move on from drags on the roster if there's any hope of significant team and pro scouting improvement.

Given that they can afford to upgrade the D and not be forced to go internal at 2C it doesn't make much sense to experiment at center outside of sheer necessity. They need a Legwand at least given that many of their top six wingers aren't really locks to be highly consistent producers (or two-way players).

Banking on better D + Trotz alone to be the difference is asking a lot, esp. if they opt to get worse at center. Hard to believe.

dogit

Dec 2, 2009
Had a scotch induce revelation last night and wonder if the Caps already have a regular that could play a respectable D, namely Brooksie L. whom I think played D a few games several years ago and did a respectable job. He and everyone else in the Caps seem to think he's as healthy as ever and I think he could be a good pairing with Green with Orlov and Wey as the third pair.Take a lot of pressure off the team if he could be a decent 2nd pair D

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
laich is probably good enough at d to be a top 4 defenseman if that was his commitment. i am concerned that the demands on his skating would be greater on defense. it might be better to see if he can stay healthy as a forward for now.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Laich as a top 4 is pure speculation at best and more likely laughable. He has played, what, a few shifts in 10 years? Even then, it was easy emergency duty. He didn't face the wrath of forecheckers, 2 on 1s etc

If he could be a top 4 LD... dare I think he would be on a team that needed a top 4 LD more than most.

He is a jock of all trades but that is because he plays center and is a tweener a 2.5 that can pinch hit on all 4 lines. Its not because he is listed as our emergency D.

Devil Dancer

Jan 21, 2006
laich is probably good enough at d to be a top 4 defenseman if that was his commitment. i am concerned that the demands on his skating would be greater on defense. it might be better to see if he can stay healthy as a forward for now.

I've always found forward to be the more demanding position in terms of skating. That's why teams use 4 lines of forwards and 3 lines of D.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Laich as a top 4 is pure speculation at best and more likely laughable. He has played, what, a few shifts in 10 years? .

of course its speculation. and??

he played several games on two different occasions and played top 4 minutes in some of those games. not just a few emergency shifts.

why not just say, you don't agree?? its what I think. its my opinion. yours is different.

btw....fedorov in his prime would have been a top pair defenseman. playing d for the caps he was just about a solid top 4 at his advanced age.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs...-for-capitals/2011/11/13/gIQATIByGN_blog.html

23:00 plus in that game.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
I've always found forward to be the more demanding position in terms of skating. That's why teams use 4 lines of forwards and 3 lines of D.

I think you might be mistaking effort for skating. forwards go harder than defensemen often. but that's not what I was referring to. I think you will find that defense has more changes of direction as in left to right and right to left. it has more change as in backwards and forwards.
defensemen are also down to the ice and up from the ice more than a forward

and then there is that d plays more minutes.

Devil Dancer

Jan 21, 2006
I don't agree at all that defensemen change direction more than forwards or that playing D is somehow more difficult, taxing or hard on the body than playing forward, unless you let yourself get pounded in the corner regularly like a certain someone we all know.

Defensemen can play more minutes per game because the skating is less taxing per minute than playing forward. Yes, they have to skate backwards on a regular basis, but that's no harder on someone's body than skating forward, it's just a slightly different skill. Skating backwards is not inherently harder than skating forward in terms of stamina or body wear, it just happens to be a skill that fewer people master.

Backstrom #19

Trotz for president
May 12, 2007
Savannah Georgia
Is this conversation really happening?

:laugh:

All because of a scotch induced revelation!

Had a scotch induce revelation last night and wonder if the Caps already have a regular that could play a respectable D, namely Brooksie L. whom I think played D a few games several years ago and did a respectable job. He and everyone else in the Caps seem to think he's as healthy as ever and I think he could be a good pairing with Green with Orlov and Wey as the third pair.Take a lot of pressure off the team if he could be a decent 2nd pair D

Halpysback*

Lol I've been on the laich and semin at d/Orlov at lw bandwagon for 3 years now

Capathetic

May 26, 2011
I wonder how much of these quotes are smoke screens?

If we like a guy at 7,8 or 9 we move up.(You want Barbashev? Gotta beat that)
We will be aggressive in persuit of a #1 defenseman(is this before of after moving up in the draft? Not many #1's available)
52# staying(suddenly all big trade chips are off the table)

I think the caps will be active I'm just not expecting any cannonball type splash.

Don't give huge money to Stralman and call him a #1 defenseman like McPhee tried with Pothier. If it's Phanuef,Giordano or even Weber then he's not just spewing the usual politics.

Edler is already linked as off the table. Erhoff is a 3-4 guy. Orpik was a top pair guy in Pittsburgh right? I think we have a winner. :help:

Laich is not a defenseman. As ****ed as this team is on defensive depth I can see some out of the box stuff but get real. His grand total of what 30 shifts back there just screams great idea.

Capathetic

May 26, 2011
Bobby orr started with one shift

Orr's skating was two generations ahead of the competition and his offensive instincts probabally 5x. Neither of which Brooksie has. I think Laich could play back there if he were developed into that role in the minors perhaps. With his new lady,the injuries and no true spot in the lineup it's ridiculous to even consider it.
3rd line luxury player to this team at his best is all we can hope for. Defenseman need a nice crisp breakout pass and I'm not even seeing Laich able to do that. I do believe he has the vision and positioning down better than we think. However he leaves a lot of us scratching our heads for his lack of puck movement as it is.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
btw....fedorov in his prime would have been a top pair defenseman. playing d for the caps he was just about a solid top 4 at his advanced age.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs...-for-capitals/2011/11/13/gIQATIByGN_blog.html

23:00 plus in that game.

I remember the last time a "top 4" Feds played D, we got scored on in the playoffs, OT IIRC. He may have been rusty, but please stop, he was not a top 4 D just before he left us. If it's true, BTCG will confirm.

Laich has played a full game, I stand corrected. 1 in 10 years. He did find time to take 6 draws in that game and played forward in OT. His quote, he had never played a full game on defense before that. Top 4 remains a stretch but I admit he has worked hard on his skating which should help. Lets just say he can pinch hit on D, and keep it real.

As passive as playing defense has become in the modern era, anyone that can skate backwards can hold their own. We often see random forwards covering for D and its not an automatic goal.They dont have to confront forwards, hit, nor clear the crease. They rarely even get hit on the forecheck. Defensemen barely seem properly tested in the regular season anymore, let alone in one game.

Last edited:

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
rh..they scored on bobby orr. the last time feds was scored on as a d was when he was OLD!!!!! what does that have to do with the point that he was iirc a top pair defenseman for Scotty Bowman.

I am stopping this. I am recommending Laich play defense. I don't Laich wants to be a defenseman anymore than Fedorov did and Feds didn't. Its just my opinion that he could. If you think its a STUPID idea, ok by me.

strungout

Professional Killer
Jul 1, 2002
North Carolina
I was looking through the Free Agent list of Defensemen...

Good lord that's a horrible group of free agents.

Niskanen and Stralman are going to get paaaaaiiiiidd.

strungout

Professional Killer
Jul 1, 2002
North Carolina
I'd gamble on Stralman. Was this a flash in the pan? Or was this a Scuderi 2009 situation?
I'm not sure. He's only had two seasons over 70 NHL games played (one of which was strike shortened so not his fault). He had a good playoff...nothing flashy...but solid.

I'd rather take the shot at Niskanen if they are going to go after one of the two.

I just cant figure out who else is even worth trying to sign.

BrooklynCapsFan

No more choking!
Oct 23, 2002
Brooklyn, New York
I'm not sure. He's only had two seasons over 70 NHL games played (one of which was strike shortened so not his fault). He had a good playoff...nothing flashy...but solid.

I'd rather take the shot at Niskanen if they are going to go after one of the two.

I also have Oates PTSD and I'm fixated on handedness..

Carlson and Green are RHRD. I think Orlov is better on the right.

Stralman and Niskanen are RHRD.

Phaneuf is a LHRD.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
I think Stralman is legit. He helps the transition game but there isn't a ton of offense there.

I fully expect them to go after Markov.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad