Speculation: Acq/ Rost. Bldg./ Cap Part XXV

Status
Not open for further replies.

caps4cup

Dynasty
Dec 31, 2010
Package Erat and Neuvirth together. Erat wants out and Neuvirth is the biggest waste of cap space on the team.

FloridaCap

Beaglechuk Mania
Jun 30, 2012
Package Erat and Neuvirth together. Erat wants out and Neuvirth is the biggest waste of cap space on the team.

Troy Brouwer ($3.67mil for 1 point at even strength), Brooks Laich ($4.5mil for a PKer), and John Erskine (close to $2m for absolutely nothing, when not on LTIR) would like a word with you.

I'm not against moving Neuvy though if we can get a serviceable backup in return. I don't think Gruby is ready.

caps4cup

Dynasty
Dec 31, 2010
Troy Brouwer ($3.67mil for 1 point at even strength), Brooks Laich ($4.5mil for a PKer), and John Erskine (close to $2m for absolutely nothing, when not on LTIR) would like a word with you.

I'm not against moving Neuvy though if we can get a serviceable backup in return. I don't think Gruby is ready.
Brouwer and Laich are better than what they are playing like right now though. Also, Brouwer was definitely worth his contract last year and Laich probably was his last full season as well. I'm not happy with their play by any means but they could still play better and be major contributors. Neuvirth on the other hand is a below average NHL goaltender, and always has been. To add on to that, we have a starting goaltender that is clearly far, far superior to Neuvy.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Erat flat out said he came to DC because he thought they could win a Cup. Now after not even a full year he wants out because he doesn't think the Caps can win a Cup.

Part of me thinks this could be the death knell for GMGM, another part wonders if the snub will rally the remaining players to unprecedented heights.

Hahahaha who am I kidding.

SimplySensational

Heard of Hough
Mar 27, 2011
VA
Erat flat out said he came to DC because he thought they could win a Cup. Now after not even a full year he wants out because he doesn't think the Caps can win a Cup.

Part of me thinks this could be the death knell for GMGM, another part wonders if the snub will rally the remaining players to unprecedented heights.

Hahahaha who am I kidding.

Yes, Leonsis fire GMGM cause a underperforming player says the Capitals won't win a cup.

That's some great logic.

PuckBuddy

Green for Selke
Jul 14, 2009
Seattle, WA
It doesn't matter who McPhee trades for whom, Oates would probably just try to turn a left-handed center into a right-catching backup goalie.

Sounds like it's too late, but y'know... just try using the personnel you were given properly for a couple of games sometimes works:

90-19-8
20-21-10
25-84-42
24-46-16

For realsies, and swap in Beagle and Wilson when the schedule injuries dictate it or Mojo and The Mouth as play warrants.

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada

A man who accepts what he sees with his own eyes. Too bad he doesn't own this team.

Capitlols

Historic Chokers
Feb 9, 2010
Oates' handedness philosophy is one of the most ridiculous things I've ever heard and he got George to be a believer.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
I think its funny how Erat called out George by going public, breaking his code. And going the extra mile and requesting to go to a contender.

Its a shot at both he and Oates.

Oates's meetings must be odd. ALWAYS catch the puck this way, angle your blade that way, always start forehand... poor players are likely overthinking every single thing. The NJ system may be fine, but he is possibly overloading them with obsessive details that are actually counterproductive. The opposite of - just go play.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Yes, Leonsis fire GMGM cause a underperforming player says the Capitals won't win a cup.

That's some great logic.

Right. Because there's no track record of failure or disgruntled ex-Caps speaking out or players wanting out of Washington or ANYTHING that could possibly lead an owner to think his GM is making one bad, desperate move after another.

And when a GM that's already on the hot seat for past failures sacrifices a top prospect to bring in a Cup-hungry veteran to make a run at the Cup has that veteran say "meh, it ain't happening here", it's sure to improve that GM's job security.

:shakehead

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
I think its funny how Erat called out George by going public, breaking his code. And going the extra mile and requesting to go to a contender.

Its a shot at both he and Oates.

Oates's meetings must be odd. ALWAYS catch the puck this way, angle your blade that way, always start forehand... poor players are likely overthinking every single thing. The NJ system may be fine, but he is possibly overloading them with obsessive details that are actually counterproductive. The opposite of - just go play.

Look at the articles and quotes when Erat was traded here. Nothing but praise for the guy's work ethic and character. In all his years in the league I don't think I ever even read a quote from him. He didn't make waves.

And now we're supposed to believe he's just one of many in a long line of classless, no-talent jerks who happen to leave town with nothing good to say about the organization...

PuckBuddy

Green for Selke
Jul 14, 2009
Seattle, WA
Oates' handedness philosophy is one of the most ridiculous things I've ever heard and he got George to be a believer.

I think all of 8's PPG and at least half of his ESG this season have been scored from the left side of the ice, and he was the poster child for winger-handedness thing.

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
Look at the articles and quotes when Erat was traded here. Nothing but praise for the guy's work ethic and character. In all his years in the league I don't think I ever even read a quote from him. He didn't make waves.

And now we're supposed to believe he's just one of many in a long line of classless, no-talent jerks who happen to leave town with nothing good to say about the organization...

I think all of 8's PPG and at least half of his ESG this season have been scored from the left side of the ice, and he was the poster child for winger-handedness thing.

All of this. I've really noticed Ovie back on the LW a lot this year.

I don't know what else Ted needs.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006

We have an odd organization, that a respected vets want to get the hell out this quick.

I will waive the no move, just get me the **** out!

I hope a reporter asks him about moving to LW which I think was likely a factor in a lack of points from him. Maybe not much, but I am just curious what he has to say. Like, I am a RW.

The effort was there.

PuckBuddy

Green for Selke
Jul 14, 2009
Seattle, WA

213j708.jpg

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
We have an odd organization, that a respected vet want to get the hell out this quick.

I will waive the no move, just get me the **** out!

I hope a reporter asks him about moving to LW which I think was likely a factor in a lack of points from him. The effort was there.

The effort was there. I just kept waiting for results. But yeah, maybe Oates's brilliance ruined a perfectly solid, proven player.

This ****ing team...

FloridaCap

Beaglechuk Mania
Jun 30, 2012
All of this. I've really noticed Ovie back on the LW a lot this year.

The Ovi to RW thing has been way overblown since he did it.

Last year 50% of his goals came on the PP, which is essentially the LW. A few goals came off faceoffs, which is irrelevant to position, and a couple others came from the LW.

This year he has 8 PPGs, all from the left, several EVG's from the left, a handful of faceoff goals... I think he has like 2 goals on the right side.

What rejuvenated Ovi is Oates's trust in him, and the communication between them. Not this mythical switch to RW. Oh, and him not carrying the puck as much as helped too.

Capitlols

Historic Chokers
Feb 9, 2010
I honestly don't think George would of gotten fired if they missed the playoffs last year.

PuckBuddy

Green for Selke
Jul 14, 2009
Seattle, WA
The worst part is, it still feels like a good GM could turn it around in one offseason.

Visual hyperbole.

Urbom and Schmidt have looked so unexpectedly solid that I think a mid-season acquisition of a top-4 D for picks/prospects would make them a solid contender now as far as personnel goes.

What those players are being asked to do on and off the ice is another matter completely. I really had a suspicion that Tim Hunter was an important influence behind that late-season run last year, but sat on it because Oates should get an honest chance in non-shortened season. But... yeah. OV is the only player to score in the last 220 minutes of gameplay and it's because he "cheated" back onto LW a few times and well-respected veterans are begging off the team. Not so great.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->