Speculation: Acq./Rost. Bldg./Cap/Lines etc. Part LXXXV -- 2017-18 Training Camp/Preseason Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
Don't forget Carlson is slow starter usually. Also, less points = less cash.

I like Carlson and hope he remains a Cap his entire career but I also realize he is going to get PAID, and the Caps are tight on space. Only Eller and Beagle are potentially coming off the books. They have to sign Bowey, Barber, potentially Gersich, as I said love Carlson, but with the kids coming he is expendable, so lets get something for him.

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
I like Carlson and hope he remains a Cap his entire career but I also realize he is going to get PAID, and the Caps are tight on space. Only Eller and Beagle are potentially coming off the books. They have to sign Bowey, Barber, potentially Gersich, as I said love Carlson, but with the kids coming he is expendable, so lets get something for him.

Yeah. Totally. Lets trade Carlson and use Orpik next year. Good plan.

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland

Orpik as a six is fine, but who says he needs to play? We have Bowey, Djoos, Johansen, Hobbs, Seigenthaler coming. The Caps D over the next few seasons is going to decent if even only two of those guys pan out.

Also, maybe you find a trading partner who is willing to take Orpik with Carlson, sort of how the Leafs took Laich but wanted Carrick as well. The other team throws a pick in and that is a win for the Caps.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
Orpik as a six is fine, but who says he needs to play? We have Bowey, Djoos, Johansen, Hobbs, Seigenthaler coming. The Caps D over the next few seasons is going to decent if even only two of those guys pan out.

Also, maybe you find a trading partner who is willing to take Orpik with Carlson, sort of how the Leafs took Laich but wanted Carrick as well. The other team throws a pick in and that is a win for the Caps.

So you are saying that you want to trade 2 of the Caps top 4 during the season?

Ahhhh, wut?

Orlov-Niskanen
Ness-Bowey
Djoos-Chorney

...... Yikes

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
So you are saying that you want to trade 2 of the Caps top 4 during the season?

Ahhhh, wut?

Orlov-Niskanen
Ness-Bowey
Djoos-Chorney

...... Yikes

I said if the Caps were struggling for a playoff spot. And I sure do. If it is really clear to US they aren't winning the Cup, it should be clear to management as well.

The top two picks in this draft look like game changers, I would love to hit that lottery next year.

We will know by game 20 what we have.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
I said if the Caps were struggling for a playoff spot. And I sure do. If it is really clear to US they aren't winning the Cup, it should be clear to management as well.

The top two picks in this draft look like game changers, I would love to hit that lottery next year.

We will know by game 20 what we have.

We're never going to be a lottery team with the talent we have up front and in the net. The worst thing that could happen to us is to fall in the no man's land (9th or 10th place in the East).

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
We're never going to be a lottery team with the talent we have up front and in the net. The worst thing that could happen to us is to fall in the no man's land (9th or 10th place in the East).

Well if people are worried about two rookies in the lineup, I'm not, this would help us see what we have in them right away. If they stink we may sink down low enough to get a pick, if they are good, we make the playoffs and win a round or two.

Win/win.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
Well if people are worried about two rookies in the lineup, I'm not, this would help us see what we have in them right away. If they stink we may sink down low enough to get a pick, if they are good, we make the playoffs and win a round or two.

Win/win.

If they stink, we'll be a wildcard team and get bounced in the first round. If things turn out really bad, say both Backstrom and Kuznetsov get injured, then we'll fall in the no man's land. We can't tank with a roster like that, nor should we.

Reactions: Corby78

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
If they stink, we'll be a wildcard team and get bounced in the first round. If things turn out really bad, say both Backstrom and Kuznetsov get injured, then we'll fall in the no man's land. We can't tank with a roster like that, nor should we.

Ok, so another coveted UFA walks and we have nothing to show for it. And all the winning teams have kids in the lineup now, and not just one.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
Ok, so another coveted UFA walks and we have nothing to show for it. And all the winning teams have kids in the lineup now, and just one.

The Caps' future doesn't look so good. I'm convinced that the lack of a dominant #1D will prevent us from being successful in the playoffs from this point onwards. We should look to get that #1D but it's the hardest thing to get in the NHL.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Exploring an in-season Carlson trade is something they should seriously consider, but it would likely have to either be a "hockey trade" or be in parallel with another "hockey trade" to avoid them leaving a gaping hole in the back-end.

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
The Caps' future doesn't look so good. I'm convinced that the lack of a dominant #1D will prevent us from being successful in the playoffs from this point onwards. We should look to get that #1D but it's the hardest thing to get in the NHL.

I completely disagree.

And I have already laid out the plan to get the 1D, its called tanking for a legit shot at Dahlin. ;) They are def not getting one in a trade or via FA.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
I completely disagree.

And I have already laid out the plan to get the 1D, its called tanking for a legit shot at Dahlin. ;) They are def not getting one in a trade or via FA.

Again, we're never going to fall low enough to have a realistic chance to draft him. Dahlin has Vancouver written all over him.

MrGone

Nov 18, 2009

Are you saying that Carlson has developed into the player you hoped he would become? Or you want to stay in a bad relationship because you are scared to be alone? There are other defenceman out there.

I don't want to pay a guy like a top pair guy if he is not a top pair guy. I know that does not make any sense to a lot of you.

Revelation

Aug 15, 2016
Should have gone 4-4-1 and protected Schmidt. At this point it's obvious losing Johansson over him is preferable (since we lost him anyway) and either of Eller or Wilson would be much easier to replace or even upgrade. There's no forward outside of the 4 we'd have protected that would be anywhere as important.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Isnt it worse to be a top 5 team year after year and fail to get anywhere with it while scoring last first round picks? That said, are not many of the Caps late first picks working out well?

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
Are you saying that Carlson has developed into the player you hoped he would become? Or you want to stay in a bad relationship because you are scared to be alone? There are other defenceman out there.

I don't want to pay a guy like a top pair guy if he is not a top pair guy. I know that does not make any sense to a lot of you.
Show me a better player who is 1) available 2) cheaper than you project Carlson

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
Isnt it worse to be a top 5 team year after year and fail to get anywhere with it while scoring last first round picks? That said, are not many of the Caps late first picks working out well?

Losing sucks more than anything and is not good for the health of the franchise. Would you really like to see an empty Capital One Arena just like when we tanked to get Ovi?

Corby78

65 - 10 - 20
Jan 14, 2014
Ramstein Germany
While Carlson has been frustrating at times, I'm not sold on trading him yet. If we do trade Carlson we need to go all in and be willing to trade Ovie/Backstrom/Orpik and anyone else not in the plans for 2019/20 and on. Trading Carlson for prospect/pick is only going to drop us to wildcard/first team out land, and our pick isn't going to be that much better. Long term were stuck unless we get lucky in the middle of the first round. Right now I say keep Carlson, make a run, then see what he wants in the offseason. Maybe we can get rid of Orpik and replace him with youth. I would rather replace one/two guys a year with youth then take 2-3 years of piss poor hockey to rebuild completely.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad