Speculation: Acq./Rost. Bldg./Cap/Lines etc. Part LXXXII -- (Caps submit expansion protect list)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brian23

Dec 3, 2011
Orpik - Bowey

Cross your fingers and hope for the best!

I'm torn between thinking it could be an okay pair and then thinking I'd rather Bowey get paired with Schmidt...but 88's gonna be a Top 4 guy this year so that's doubtful.

I think Bowey needs to be paired with a steady-eddy type veteran, someone who can show him the ropes and lead him into things. I think Orpik should fit that bill, he just costs too much, but his random outbursts of aggressive pinches will routinely leave a young D out to pasture.

The Instigator

Tom Wilson - NHL All Star
Feb 6, 2010
Man, part of me really wants Shane Doan to sign a cheap contract. A great leadership guy like that would really be a morale booster I think. He's not the player he was but for the right price and the right role he might be a big addition behind the scenes.

Even a guy like Iginla could be a good role player for the right price.

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
If they really want a veteran right-winger with lots of leadership and intangibles and can contribute in the middle 6, there's a pretty obvious choice that they should aggressively pursue and his name is Justin Williams.

hockeykicker

Dec 3, 2014
If they really want a veteran right-winger with lots of leadership and intangibles and can contribute in the middle 6, there's a pretty obvious choice that they should aggressively pursue and his name is Justin Williams.

they cant afford both oshie and williams though

they can do oshie and doan

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
they cant afford both oshie and williams though

they can do oshie and doan

They don't need Doan, he's spent. Not like he has a playoff pedigree to fall back on either.

because he has the veteran leadership which people complain this team doesnt have. hes a tough grinder who can replace winnik and probably goes for under 1 mil

The Capitals brought in Justin Williams and Brooks Orpik in large part because of their leadership and the results have been the same.

If leadership is an issue (which it sounds like it might be based on exit interviews) I imagine it's at the top with Ovechkin and Trotz. Bringing in outside "leadership" in the form of Doan seems next to worthless.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
basically comes down to a rookie or doan on 4th line. both basically going to be the same price
I doubt that. Not that he'll break the bank but they could be pinching pennies and I really doubt he signs for $700k somewhere. He likely stays out West anyway.

@alex_prewitt: Emphasis on stocking draft picks, Foley says, but also spreading them out. "We're out to 2020 with a couple teams."

Sounds like something the Caps would do...fling around another future pick to Vegas for them to select the player they would have selected anyway.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
because he has the veteran leadership which people complain this team doesnt have. hes a tough grinder who can replace winnik and probably goes for under 1 mil

shane doan has won two playoff series in his career. he hasn't played in the playoffs in 5 years. this is not the guy you want.

amjay13

Jan 7, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
shane doan has won two playoff series in his career. he hasn't played in the playoffs in 5 years. this is not the guy you want.

In fairness, Wayne Gretzky in his prime wouldn't have got these Coyote rosters into the playoffs.

Love Doan but as someone mentioned, he will stay out West. He would have made a ton of sense for the Caps about 5 years ago but not at this point. The leadership and grit are great but don't make up for his lack of speed at this point.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Queue up Nick and Niskanen for the 2nd loffs in a row teaming up to allow a breakaway goal after a center ice faceoff. Game changing for sure when your 2 best defensive players let that happen every year.

I still think its funny that we only remember the bad plays that lead to goals, and forget the countless others where the shot misses the net or the G happens to make a save. I understand, too much happens in a game to remember the non goal plays.

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
Queue up Nick and Niskanen for the 2nd loffs in a row teaming up to allow a breakaway goal after a center ice faceoff. Game changing for sure when your 2 best defensive players let that happen every year.

I still think its funny that we only remember the bad plays that lead to goals, and forget the countless others where the shot misses the net or the G happens to make a save. I understand, too much happens in a game to remember the non goal plays.

This is basically analytics.txt right here. Queue up this response the next time you hear the word "pizza" in a hockey context.

Revelation

Aug 15, 2016
Game changer.

Wow, he took out a 4C and a 6D. Definitely worth all the times he gets walked every game.

Why not just sign Tom Sestito for league min to "change games" like that? It would probably result in less goals against to boot.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Players are human and make mistakes. News at 11. Orpik has been on the plus side overall in term of impact to the team in his time here.

Defense (or prosecution) by video clip is lazy. As Randy points out, even the best guys have boneheaded moments.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad