Speculation: Acq./Rost. Bldg./Cap/Lines etc. Part LXXXII -- (Caps submit expansion protect list)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Revelation

Aug 15, 2016
Only way for them to salvage the upcoming season is to get Sutter and Lombardi.

2 guys who have proven to be able to win recently, twice, Lombardi has a cutthroat reputation and those 2 wouldn't take any perceived **** from Ovechkin, would bring back fan interest vs this just being another fated season under Trotz. Team is built to their specification so they could run their systems with average off-season changes vs major teardown. Could help with retaining Williams as well.

hockeykicker

Dec 3, 2014

2 guys who have proven to be able to win recently, twice, Lombardi has a cutthroat reputation and those 2 wouldn't take any perceived **** from Ovechkin, would bring back fan interest vs this just being another fated season under Trotz. Team is built to their specification so they could run their systems with average off-season changes vs major teardown. Could help with retaining Williams as well.

because the gm was totally the reason the caps lost

Gargyn

Oct 19, 2006
Kelowna, BC

Ya that Lombardi is really cutthroat...He sure didn't put up with Dustin Brown's contract or thankfully Marian Gaborik's either! So now on a serious note, Lombardi has strapped the Kings with no cap room and a garbage team. Horribly overrated. Sutter was the whole reason they won. Kopitar is good...But 10 million good? He had 12 goals in a full season. I can see 7 million based on his defensive abilities but you need elite stats to get paid like him. For how much you guys bash Ovechkin, the guy has been worth his contract up until now. Everyone knew the way he played would hurt the Caps in the late years of his contract. I can't believe the lack of complaining about Holtby who in my opinion was garbage in this playoffs. With him being better the Caps would be up against an average Sens team. I'd run with a cheap option and add an extra scorer.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Zero interest in Lombardi. The Kings' roster management had a notable decline after Hextall left, and Lombardi has quite a few notable blunders with both Los Angeles and the US national team.

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
Even if Lombardi were a guaranteed success I hate him as a person. The way he jettisoned Mike Richards who went through a very real personal issue and the way he defended Voynov despite being a wifebeater really irks me.

I'd rather not have him as part of the organization.

Nice

Jan 26, 2016
I'd be alright with bringing in Sutter. Definitely not Lombardi though. GMBM is fine, he built a good team that should've won in the playoffs. really the only iffy move he's made so far is the Orpik deal.

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
People bringing up trades that have Ovechkin in them are really out to lunch.

Every person on the roster would be traded before Alex Ovechkin. Hockey is a business and the vast majority of people that go to Caps games aren't on these boards. Ovechkin IS the Caps right now, he is good friends with Ted, he is going nowhere unless HE asks for it.

My guess he finishes his contract and heads home.

Revelation

Aug 15, 2016
Ya that Lombardi is really cutthroat...He sure didn't put up with Dustin Brown's contract or thankfully Marian Gaborik's either! So now on a serious note, Lombardi has strapped the Kings with no cap room and a garbage team. Horribly overrated. Sutter was the whole reason they won. Kopitar is good...But 10 million good? He had 12 goals in a full season. I can see 7 million based on his defensive abilities but you need elite stats to get paid like him. For how much you guys bash Ovechkin, the guy has been worth his contract up until now. Everyone knew the way he played would hurt the Caps in the late years of his contract. I can't believe the lack of complaining about Holtby who in my opinion was garbage in this playoffs. With him being better the Caps would be up against an average Sens team. I'd run with a cheap option and add an extra scorer.

Zero interest in Lombardi. The Kings' roster management had a notable decline after Hextall left, and Lombardi has quite a few notable blunders with both Los Angeles and the US national team.

Yeah, I'd hate for Lombardi to win 2 cups with Washington and sign a bunch of cup heroes to reward contracts afterwards. That would be horrible. Much rather not win any cups so there are no playoff heroes to sign :sarcasm:

Revelation

Aug 15, 2016
Even if Lombardi were a guaranteed success I hate him as a person. The way he jettisoned Mike Richards who went through a very real personal issue and the way he defended Voynov despite being a wifebeater really irks me.

I'd rather not have him as part of the organization.

Welcome to the price of success in the real world. 2nd round is as far as goody two shoes ownership and management takes you.

(mod)

Last edited by a moderator:

Revelation

Aug 15, 2016
because the gm was totally the reason the caps lost

He got Orpik, he got Shattenkirk after having the opportunity to watch him fold in the playoffs for half a decade, he got Trotz, he got Eller and the whole bottom 6 that hasn't been able to produce **** for 3 straight years. But no none of this is on him.

Revelation

Aug 15, 2016
People bringing up trades that have Ovechkin in them are really out to lunch.

Every person on the roster would be traded before Alex Ovechkin. Hockey is a business and the vast majority of people that go to Caps games aren't on these boards. Ovechkin IS the Caps right now, he is good friends with Ted, he is going nowhere unless HE asks for it.

My guess he finishes his contract and heads home.

Ovechkin isn't the draw anymore, he no longer has larger than life hockey moves coupled with larger than life personality. He has 1-2 classic Ovechkin rushes per year and they're mostly on the road. He's as much of a draw now as Rick Nash would be.

aonb

Oct 26, 2013
with (i hope) more offensive-minded coach, what about yakupov as a scoring depth? he decided to stay in nhl and fight for a spot. he'll be cheap as ****. im not sure he can handle bottom six role but watching him play in st.louis its easy to say he is dedicated and wants it badly. im far from saying he is the biggest bust as a 1st round pick. by now maybe he is in conversation, but in a few years, if adjust his game, i see bright future

Revelation

Aug 15, 2016
Yakupov would be a nice get if it's for peanuts, playing him with Kuznetsov could reignite him. He works hard is just kind of hockey dumb, but having him run up and down the wing and beat players with speed and snipe Kuzy's feeds could make for cheap scoring depth. No idea why no teams ever tried to put him with capable playmaking Cs, he looked good with Roy and McDavid which are the only 2 times he got to play with good playmaking Cs.

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
Welcome to the price of success in the real world. 2nd round is as far as goody two shoes ownership and management takes you.

There are plenty of other GMs who have had success that aren't complete ********. Hockey isn't *that* important to me to ignore these type of off-the-ice actions.

Last edited by a moderator:

Revelation

Aug 15, 2016
There are plenty of other GMs who have had success that aren't complete ********. Hockey isn't *that* important to me to ignore these type of off-the-ice actions.

He's far from a complete *******, he and Richards had an agreement like 2 men and Richards broke it, and he stood up for Voynov before the case was decided which is what you're supposed to do when you have character and aren't just pandering (just like how the Avs stood up for Varlamov when his chick tried to shake him down). Lombardi is a man's man who gets things done which comes off as ******* to weenies.

hockeykicker

Dec 3, 2014
He got Orpik, he got Shattenkirk after having the opportunity to watch him fold in the playoffs for half a decade, he got Trotz, he got Eller and the whole bottom 6 that hasn't been able to produce **** for 3 straight years. But no none of this is on him.

Lol what? I'm sorry but a bottom 6 of burakovsky/johansson, eller and Connolly

And Wilson, winnik and beagle should have produced. Find me a better bottom 6? Pitt with their ahl guys? Yeah ok

36kap36

Jan 21, 2011
Ohio
Jesus, I knew coming on here at this point would be depressing, but this is next level. Do some of you give anyone in the entire organization any credit? Obviously it was another banner year of under performance in the playoffs, but do you truly believe that all 20 players who saw the ice during our 13 games, the entire coaching staff, and the GM's squad did EVERYTHING wrong like you're alluding to? Was nothing done right because we didn't show up for the one game that mattered? It's insane some of the suggestions I'm seeing for this team, and I'm not sure what you're thinking it would solve.

Revelation

Aug 15, 2016
Yeah, exactly what they need, more soft, inconsistent Europeans like Yakupov.

:facepalm:

Yeah can't have any stupid Europeans like Malkin, Forsberg, Silfverberg or Karlsson

Good thing you took the trouble to facepalm your own post at least.

36kap36

Jan 21, 2011
Ohio
Yeah can't have any stupid Europeans like Malkin, Forsberg, Silfverberg or Karlsson

Good thing you took the trouble to facepalm your own post at least.

This is an insane argument. You're saying Yakupov is like any of those players? Get a grip.

Revelation

Aug 15, 2016
Lol what? I'm sorry but a bottom 6 of burakovsky/johansson, eller and Connolly

And Wilson, winnik and beagle should have produced. Find me a better bottom 6? Pitt with their ahl guys? Yeah ok

Winnik should have produced? With his 3 points in 60 playoff games? 25 point C Lars Eller should have produced? Brett "not good enough to get a QO" Connolly? Tom "7 goals" Wilson?

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Yeah, I'd hate for Lombardi to win 2 cups with Washington and sign a bunch of cup heroes to reward contracts afterwards. That would be horrible. Much rather not win any cups so there are no playoff heroes to sign :sarcasm:

Once again, Ron Hextall. They won the Cups with the core he helped assemble. Hextall went to the Flyers in 2013. Right after he left is when Lombardi started doing **** like giving Dustin Brown an 8 year extension. Whatever working relationship the two of them had together worked well, but Lombardi left unchecked was a disaster.

Revelation

Aug 15, 2016
Once again, Ron Hextall. They won the Cups with the core he helped assemble. Hextall went to the Flyers in 2013. Right after he left is when Lombardi started doing **** like giving Dustin Brown an 8 year extension. Whatever working relationship the two of them had together worked well, but Lombardi left unchecked was a disaster.

Hextall hasn't done anything noteworthy in Philly other than drafting gimmes like Provorov. Pissed away Hartnell for Umberger when Hartnell was still productive and effective. Flyers oscillate from flying out of first rounds to lottery seasons under him. His biggest achievement is not being Holmgren and giving out 50 million dollar contracts to everybody.

Yeah, Lombardi gave Brown that extension after Brown won him TWO CUPS coming off of a contract in which he was almost as underpaid as Zach Parise. He also gave Gaborik a sub 5 million cap hit extension after he fit in seamlessly and scored 14 playoff goals en route to a cup. I'm sure it's better to overpay for no cups leadership like we had with Brooks Laich or Hextall is with Dale Weise.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad