Speculation: Acq./Rost. Bldg./Cap/Lines etc. Part LXXXI -- Will we even care by July 1?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jacoby4HOF66

Pull my finger
Mar 13, 2009
I really like Oshie as a player and a person but I don't think he's much better than Ovechkin as an inspirational blood and guts type of captain. I see Oshie as a guy that kind of spaces out at times and just goes with the flow of the game, which is perfect for his style of play. I wouldn't want to mess with it. Wilson seems like someone who's more likely to be taking numbers and paying attention to everything that happens which can be critical in gauging the mood and needs of the team.

If the C is taken from OV, or he steps down on his own, the person that would take his place is not currently on the team. That's a no **** change the culture move. Current players are so tainted by the current culture that they should be disqualified, IMO.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
**** it, give the C to Holtby. He's been the best player on the team for three straight years, and isn't afraid to call the team out when things aren't going well.

Skrudland2Lomakin

Jan 1, 2011
So here's some wild thoughts. I think this team needs another veteran, doesn't have to be one with extensive playoff success, but just a vocal locker room presence. In an ideal world I would take JW14 again at a discount and sign a vet, obviously the cap space is an issue, which is why this will seem wild.

Move someone like MoJo who is probably never going to have a higher sell price. Roll the dice on a veteran, it's clear the psyche is what is holding this team back.

Some pending UFA's that caught my eye (most will likely re-up with their current teams):

Joe Thornton
Patrick Marleau
Jaromir Jagr
Mike Fisher
Patrick Sharp
Jarome Iginla

Additionally, the Pens are potentially losing a few of their depth guys, Nick Bonino is a UFA, I'd love to have that son of a *****.

Mostly NHL 17 like crazy ponderings, but we need to do something crazy to break this funk. Simply replacing fringe players isn't going to change us. We need a change in identity even if it is bringing an over the hill super star who is getting paid to tell everyone the grab their sacks ala Boudreau.

Skrudland2Lomakin

Jan 1, 2011
**** it, give the C to Holtby. He's been the best player on the team for three straight years, and isn't afraid to call the team out when things aren't going well.

Per the NHL rules goalies cannot be official captains, the true reasoning behinds captaincy is not some silly leadership profile, rather captains are an intermediary between the refs and teams. Goalies cannot perform that function and so the NHL ruins our fun.

Also it seems pretty clear to me that if I'm looking at the roster right now, Matt Niskanen is our best choice for C, followed by Oshie.

Skrudland2Lomakin

Jan 1, 2011
What would it take to get Malkin? Serious question.

They'd likely want Kuznetsov +, and I would say no thank you.

Geno is great, but Geno is great because he is on a team with Sid. Geno is as enigmatic as our own resident Russians. He has a little bit of everything we love like the play making of Backstrom and finishing of Ovechkin, but also a little of everything we hate. He's as apathetic as Semin at times, he takes dumb penalties like Kuzy, he's as easy to get going into goon mode as Wilson at times.

Geno is an odd beast, he's truly a luxury. I do not believe a team could be built around him. He's like a rock star, he'll show up on his time and play by his standards, but when he does? Holy ****ing ****.

Skrudland2Lomakin

Jan 1, 2011
He was named the team captain, and served as the team captain in the locker room. Handling ceremonial puck drops and talking to the referees isn't the part of captaincy that really matters.

Being team captain isn't really the part of "captaincy" that matters. Do you think that C is preventing guys from speaking up? Leaders gonna lead regardless of letters on their jersey. Having a discussion as to who wears the letter beyond the silly ceremonial and administrative tasks is kind of pointless. Justin Williams, Brooks Orpik, etc. are going to be the louder guys in the locker room regardless of who we pick to wear a C.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Being team captain isn't really the part of "captaincy" that matters. Do you think that C is preventing guys from speaking up? Leaders gonna lead regardless of letters on their jersey. Having a discussion as to who wears the letter beyond the silly ceremonial and administrative tasks is kind of pointless. Justin Williams, Brooks Orpik, etc. are going to be the louder guys in the locker room regardless of who we pick to wear a C.

People say this all the time because it sounds reasonable but it's not realistic. When you have someone who is the appointed, official leader then there's always going to be some part of that person's authority that remains on the table.

Do we actually think captaincy and leadership is JUST about speaking up in the locker room? Some random 3rd liner running practice or a drill is much less impressive than your captain stepping up and doing it. When your captain takes you aside and talks with you about what's bothering you or what he needs from you it means more than some guy who's on the 3rd defensive pair sticking his nose in your business. Some JAG being first on and last off the ice looks desperate, but your captain doing it sets an example.

These things inspire confidence and loyalty. When you have a captain that needs other people to do these things for him it has the opposite effect.

Roughing

Oct 11, 2010
Frederick, MD
Trotz needs to go. I certainly wouldn't protect Ovechkin either. He's quickly becoming a $9.5M anchor. You want to change the culture get rid of the Captain who came up terribly small again.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
I mean, we just went through all this same **** all over again, with more quotes about the team not giving 100% during a game 7. And we're still looking for bargain bin solutions to leadership like "anyone can do it"?

Really??

ovikovy817

May 23, 2015
Belgium
Are you really think the "C" on a sweater changes the level of play? C'mon guys.
The most important thing it's that everybody need to speak in the locker room (from Ovi to Chorney) when they're not playing well, when there are some problems etc.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
I think Kuz has shown flashes of being a future captain. Lets be reality, it's almost always one of a teams best players. I wonder if Nick would want to be a C, Ovi best buds awkwardness aside.

hockeyfan88

Dec 14, 2015
If they take the C from Ovie they might as well kick him out of town.

Imagine the drama...The media would rip the club apart just like they did with the Redskins.

Not even the head coach will want this kind of distraction...Even if he knows Ovechkin is not captain material (which he clearly isn't).

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
He was named the team captain, and served as the team captain in the locker room. Handling ceremonial puck drops and talking to the referees isn't the part of captaincy that really matters.

Naming Holtby captain is:
1. Against the rules
2. Locker room "captain" is meaningless. Holtby is the goalie, if he wants to set the guys straight he can do it. Goalies have a ton of authority in a hockey team since they're out on the ice 100% of the time.

I wanna believe this isn't as bad as it looks because I think he was just trying to lighten the mood but that isn't a good look.

It's just a little joke. Why so serious?

I think Kuz has shown flashes of being a future captain. Lets be reality, it's almost always one of a teams best players. I wonder if Nick would want to be a C, Ovi best buds awkwardness aside.

Your favourite player would be best suited to be named captain. I hope we sign #77.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Imagine the drama...

Could the drama be any worse than yet another game 7 failure, shutout at home vs the Pens?

I cannot see Ovi ever looking more depressed than he was in his post game interview. The new coach says he wants 3As. Trust me, Ovi will be just fine. He is a man, a rich rich man that has overcome greater diversity and media scrutiny. Whatever coach wants.

**** the media.cherry.ca. They have been piling on Ovi his entire career. They will be all over him regardless.

artilector

Jan 11, 2006
I don't think changing captains at this point will accomplish anything, especially if the group is essentially the same. It'll just create additional controversy.

Ovi as a player is 100x greater issue than Ovi as a captain.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
There is no reason to watch this team next season with the same core.

None.

You say that but you'll watch the majority of the games and you won't miss a single playoff game. If you're still around, it means you're a true fan and you found a way to cope with the fact that the team has been choking since forever.

As for me, I'll always be a Caps fan like you. We could be worse than the 2017 Avs and I'd still follow the team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->