Speculation: Acq./Rost. Bldg./Cap/Lines etc. Part LXXX (Shatty susp. 2 games)

Status
Not open for further replies.

artilector

Jan 11, 2006
Let Ovi wake up first then move him around the lineup. Right now he needs to be spoon fed scoring opportunities by 19 or 92.

The problem with that logic is that he's reached this slump playing with (mostly) 19, and there's enough data to indicate that 19 is part of the problem.

It's more debatable as far as Kuz is concerned, but -- until Ovi actually starts scoring, no center should really be assumed to be the solution, IMO.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
The problem with that logic is that he's reached this slump playing with (mostly) 19, and there's enough data to indicate that 19 is part of the problem.

It's more debatable as far as Kuz is concerned, but -- until Ovi actually starts scoring, no center should really be assumed to be the solution, IMO.

It's not 19's fault that Ovi is passing on great scoring opportunities. 19 sets the table for him as he always has, but Ovi refuses to sit down and eat what's in front of him like he normally would.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Lets talk about the rush. #MaximizeOvi

Ovi's one on one shot seems to have mostly disappeared. So he now more often rips off passes that few seem ready for, or simply are unable to convert. It's not him and its not us.

Make no mistake, he needs to be a shoot first guy, best kept away from board battles. No longer generating shots of his own, he needs a guy that can best feed him the puck, preferably off the rush where he doesn't have to try to cycle.

It's obvious of course. But it starts with getting the puck from him before entering the zone, and requires him to stay in a passing lane for be it Kuz or Nick. Both left shots, its not an easy pass. They must use their backhand or circle to turn and telegraph the pass when he is at home at LW. I would also try to circle him to RW behind the C entering with the puck.

BTW, it was not Oates that first tried Ovi rushing at RW. It was Bruce vs Monty when Ovi was facing 3 left twigs at RD. Something long time posters know I wanted to see.

Last edited:

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
Backstrom himself is not an issue, it's more that the whole is less than the sum of the parts when it comes to Ovechkin and Backstrom IMO. Both are better apart than they are together by most statistical measures, and until Trotz realizes this I'm afraid we'll see a mediocre process and results from the top line and Ovechkin in particular.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Ovie in the Kessell role on the 3rd line might be the way to match them

As long as you understand that it would not work the same way as with Kessel and the Penguins. Ov, particularly if he is scoring, will attract the top defensive forward/defense matchup even if skating with Eller. As a result they will be more successful in shutting him down.

The Caps still used their top defensive matchups against Crosby and Malkin. Backstrom on Crosby and Beagle on Malkin. The mismatch presented by that would be with Kuzy and JW. They would have to do the Bonino Kessel Hagelin work. Not Ov and Eller

Ridley Simon

Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
Nobody seems to wonder what Ovechkin wants. If anyone thinks that Ov doesn't care about this goal drought and the losing streak and getting passed in the standings by Crosby and Malkin, their nuts.

Trotz changed it up and put Ov with Kuzy and from what I saw of the game it was Wilson that seemed to gain in the chances category. Not Ov.

Might be that Ov feels like he needs a comfort level to get his game straight. That means Backstrom. It could be that asked how he felt after playing with Kuzy that he said he wasn't comfortable.

Sometimes as a coach, forcing the issue(you are going to play right wing, so get used to it) is a good thing and other times not so much.

From my perspective, this game they have been playing since they caught fire is very dependent on knowing where people are on the ice before you get the puck so that you can move it. Playing with new linemates doesn't facilitate that. At all.

Spot on Tex. Some times looking at numbers is great for fantasy hockey, but not for real humans.

Perfectly said. :handclap:

um

Sep 4, 2008
toronto
As long as you understand that it would not work the same way as with Kessel and the Penguins. Ov, particularly if he is scoring, will attract the top defensive forward/defense matchup even if skating with Eller. As a result they will be more successful in shutting him down.

The Caps still used their top defensive matchups against Crosby and Malkin. Backstrom on Crosby and Beagle on Malkin. The mismatch presented by that would be with Kuzy and JW. They would have to do the Bonino Kessel Hagelin work. Not Ov and Eller

that's still an advantage, well if OV can pick it up again.

Ovechkins Wodka

Dec 1, 2007
DC
Ovie could be a decoy on the 3rd line. If it forces them to play a top pairing vs a 3rd line with no scoring ovie.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
I don't want them to but I think my Coyotes are poised to make a mistake a trade Anthony Duclair for a grinding RW who can PK and play physical. I think they'll regret it eventually. I'm wondering if Tom Wilson is a realistic target.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
I don't want them to but I think my Coyotes are poised to make a mistake a trade Anthony Duclair for a grinding RW who can PK and play physical. I think they'll regret it eventually. I'm wondering if Tom Wilson is a realistic target.

Not a chance

artilector

Jan 11, 2006
It's not 19's fault that Ovi is passing on great scoring opportunities. 19 sets the table for him as he always has, but Ovi refuses to sit down and eat what's in front of him like he normally would.

I am not seeing it. Direct setups from 19 to 8 have been a rarity for a long time.

Jacoby4HOF66

Pull my finger
Mar 13, 2009
>>> Andre Burakovsky skated with the team for the first time since sustaining a right hand injury against the Red Wings on Feb. 9.

The 22-year-old forward did not travel with the Capitals on their three-game road trip this past week, but he has been skating regularly to get back in game shape. On Tuesday, he did shooting drills at the beginning and end of practice. He did not, however, participate in any line rushes or drills including contact.

Burakovsky did not wear any kind of cast on the outside of his glove, but his right hand was still wrapped underneath it. He saw a doctor yesterday, spoke with head athletic trainer Greg Smith on Tuesday, and thinks returning next week is not out of the question.

Capitals Coach Barry Trotz said there is no updated timetable for Burakovsky’s return.

“I feel pretty good,†Burakovsky said after Tuesday’s morning skate. “I mean I still got some issues with my hand, obviously it’s going to be like that for a while, but first skate today with the team and I felt pretty good. I had a couple issues before with shooting the puck and stuff like that but it was a lot better today. It’s definitely going in the right direction here.â€

Burakovsky said his stickhandling feels “really good,†and that he still sometimes feels uncomfortable shooting and carrying the puck with one hand. He said he could barely shoot the puck on Saturday before his shot felt “pretty good†Tuesday, marking another step toward an awaited return.

“It’s day-by-day,†Burakovsky said. “Some days it feels a lot better and some days it don’t. But like I said, lately I’ve been feeling way better when I get up in the morning.â€

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...-a-few-too-many-boxes/?utm_term=.cfe0c23be2f7

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
Burakovsky is behind only Backstrom and Oshie in terms of 5v5 points/60 so it's a pretty big deal that he looks ready to come back.

Just...don't block any more shots.

4thTierSport

Feb 15, 2009

This is such utter ********. There is some cleaning up to do, but the quality of officiating needs to improve.

Carlson's "Roughing" was complete garbage last night. How many times have we seen multiple players go after one player for hitting the goalie with no call. Also how was that not instant Goalie Interference? Love tap or not the Pred made contact with Holtby and gave him a bit of a cross check, and the ref didn't make a call until the Pred hit him again. Then you have Backstrom on his great tip chance completely and utterly Hooked and no call. I can understand if the Pred player had his stick over Backstrom's and was holding it dow. The Pred player clearly had his stick in Backstrom's chest preventing Backstrom from getting to the net.

Wilson's "Interference" from a couple days ago. Last time I checked when a player changes his path to cut off another player the player making the cut gets called and not the player that was cut off.

Last edited:

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
I think the league looks for any reason to call power plays to help ramp up the scoring. Our series against Philly turned into a bit of a PP battle. Its how we scored a bunch of our goals; giving credit where a lot is due, to dumb ass Hakstol leaving his PKers flat footed, and Mason left to defend alone.

Long time fans know, they now call PPs in OT to end the games sooner. Some of the epic OT games of yesteryear are no more.

The league loves them some PPs, it is used to cure almost all that they think ails them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->