Speculation: Acq./Rost. Bldg./Cap/Lines etc. Part LXV (Any Given Someday)

Status
Not open for further replies.

MW6

Oct 21, 2011
Halland
Areas of improvement:

2LW: MoJo's been fine. A bit uneven, but has settled down pretty nicely of late since Kuzy and Williams became his regular line mates. An upgrade would be luxury and MoJo would have to be a part of that deal since he doesn't really fit a bottom-6 role.

3C: Trotz loves Beagle, but I don't think he would hesitate to bump him down to 4C if a better option appeared. This is the area where I think an upgrade is mostly needed. Someone who consistently contributes offensively while still being able to go up against top lines. Helm has always been a personal favorite.

3RW: Wilson has taken a big step since last year, but his offense is still lacking. If Orpik is back and healthy I'd rank this as the second biggest need to upgrade. Jannik Hansen or Komarov seems like great and somewhat realistic options if you want players with term, but that might be in beneficial for Wilson's development.

3RD: If Orpik's healthy I assume Schmidt is back as 3RD playing with Orlov. If Orpik's game doesn't quite reach last years level a 3rd pair role for him might be more suiting. Do they play Orpik-Orlov or do they want a RHD. In any scenario assume it's a 3RD they'd be looking at for depth purposes.

hockeykicker

Dec 3, 2014
happened to take a glance on how the draft picks for the caps are doing

we know about samsonov and seigenthaler, but 5th round pick defender connor hobbs (regina pats whl) has 10 goals and 11 assists in 29 games with a plus 6

6th round pick defender colby williams (also regina pats whl) has 4 goals and 5 assists in 11 games with a plus 5

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
3C -> roster
Beagle -> 4RW
Bura -> AHL

= no chemistry/psycho problem at all

Except for Beagle and Burt. Beagle gets demoted while seemingly playing pretty damn well and Burt gets sent to the minors (might be just the kick in the ass he needs honestly). A promoted Bura around playoff time might just have a little chip on his shoulder at the right time and add a nice spark.

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
Except for Beagle and Burt. Beagle gets demoted while seemingly playing pretty damn well and Burt gets sent to the minors (might be just the kick in the ass he needs honestly). A promoted Bura around playoff time might just have a little chip on his shoulder at the right time and add a nice spark.

Beagle was a good soldier and got a very nice contract for that. I'd be surprised if he ever questioned Trotz line management. He will do whatever.

And for the Cup... twice as gladly.

MEfreak

Nov 29, 2015
2LW: MoJo's been fine. A bit uneven, but has settled down pretty nicely of late since Kuzy and Williams became his regular line mates. An upgrade would be luxury and MoJo would have to be a part of that deal since he doesn't really fit a bottom-6 role

Agree.

And the only question I have now is why does mojo show up to a game with a bit of snarl (relatively speaking) every once in a blue moon, then revert to his typical self again. Mysteries of the universe abound.

Ajax1995

Dec 9, 2002
Agree.

And the only question I have now is why does mojo show up to a game with a bit of snarl (relatively speaking) every once in a blue moon, then revert to his typical self again. Mysteries of the universe abound.

Yeah everyone else gives the same effort and plays the same each and every game...

MEfreak

Nov 29, 2015
Yeah everyone else gives the same effort and plays the same each and every game...

Well, *to me*, mojos swings seem much more like intermittent step changes that are more pronounced than the more cyclical swings of other players. Hard to tell through the sarcasm whether you were addressing that point or not.

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
3RW: Wilson has taken a big step since last year, but his offense is still lacking. If Orpik is back and healthy I'd rank this as the second biggest need to upgrade. Jannik Hansen or Komarov seems like great and somewhat realistic options if you want players with term, but that might be in beneficial for Wilson's development.

I really don't think the role of that line is to go out and score a bunch of points. Wilson has been fine in that role and I don't think it's all that necessary to spend assets for maybe a marginal at best upgrade. Plus it sends the wrong message to Wilson.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Well, *to me*, mojos swings seem much more like intermittent step changes that are more pronounced than the more cyclical swings of other players. Hard to tell through the sarcasm whether you were addressing that point or not.

I think Johansson follows the game plan. His role is not as a hitter and his physical play takes him away from his primary role against most teams. As opposed to Wilson or Beagle suddenly coming off their physical play. When the Caps game plan is for everyone to hit and to hit everyone, he hits.

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
I think Johansson follows the game plan. His role is not as a hitter and his physical play takes him away from his primary role against most teams. As opposed to Wilson or Beagle suddenly coming off their physical play. When the Caps game plan is for everyone to hit and to hit everyone, he hits.

Sounds about right. Also, nobody expects Backstrom to crash people. I'd say even Williams. We don't really need that much.

As long as Mojo is sound with cycling and winning the puck races, he doesn't need to hit. And so with that in mind every def will be very suprised when Mojo will actually do it to him.

The player is OK. Just no salary raise please :P Wait for him to become our Zetta first.

MW6

Oct 21, 2011
Halland
If GM Treliving called and offered Hudler, Colborne and Russel for Johansson, Laich, Bowey and a conditional 1st (making it to the SCF). Would you do it?

Caps could ice
Ovechkin-Kuznetsov-Oshie
Hudler-Backstrom-Williams
Chimera-Colborne-Wilson
Burakovsky-Latta-Beagle

Orpik-Carlson
Alzner-Niskanen
Orlov/Schmidt/Russel

Holtby
Grubauer

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
If GM Treliving called and offered Hudler, Colborne and Russel for Johansson, Laich, Bowey and a conditional 1st (making it to the SCF). Would you do it?

Caps could ice
Ovechkin-Kuznetsov-Oshie
Chimera-Colborne-Wilson
Burakovsky-Latta-Beagle

Orpik-Carlson
Alzner-Niskanen
Orlov/Schmidt/Russel

Holtby
Grubauer

No, not really even close.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC

Caps could ice
Ovechkin-Kuznetsov-Oshie
Chimera-Colborne-Wilson
Burakovsky-Latta-Beagle

Orpik-Carlson
Alzner-Niskanen
Orlov/Schmidt/Russel

Holtby
Grubauer

Why? I don't see the improvement. Is Hudler better than Johansson? As a pending UFA is he better than RFA Johansson? Is Colborne better than Beagle? If yes are Hudler and Colborne so much better than Johansson and Beagle to cost Bowey? They don't need Russel.

MEfreak

Nov 29, 2015

Sound opinion, cant argue against it. Probably true that many of the curious player performances are a result of coaching. But if I acknowledge this...how can I complain as much as I do when they frustrate me?

To be clear, Im fine with mojo as is, my posts were not meant as criticism. Hes fairly low down my list of complaints. Ill just continue to be entertained when mojo comes out in angry bear mode.

Merry xmas all.

MW6

Oct 21, 2011
Halland
Why? I don't see the improvement. Is Hudler better than Johansson? As a pending UFA is he better than RFA Johansson? Is Colborne better than Beagle? If yes are Hudler and Colborne so much better than Johansson and Beagle to cost Bowey? They don't need Russel.

Yes, i think it's pretty safe to say that Hudler is better then Johansson. A point per game last year, better then .5 ppg in the playoffs, 4 <50 pts seasons etc.
Colborne has out produced Beagle his last three seasons. And he is a definite upgrade over Laich, who's the one removed from the line up. Beagle can still contribute just as last year on the 4th line. Colborne is a physical C, great on the dot and cost controlled.

Russel is the Orpik ensurence. I guess it would be more clear if Orpik is going to come back by the TDL when this deal would take place. If Orpik's back and running on all cylinders I agree it doesn't make as much sense.
There's also value to not having Laich's contract counting against the cap this and next year as well.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Yes, i think it's pretty safe to say that Hudler is better then Johansson. A point per game last year, better then .5 ppg in the playoffs, 4 <50 pts seasons etc.
Colborne has out produced Beagle his last three seasons. And he is a definite upgrade over Laich, who's the one removed from the line up. Beagle can still contribute just as last year on the 4th line. Colborne is a physical C, great on the dot and cost controlled.

Russel is the Orpik ensurence. I guess it would be more clear if Orpik is going to come back by the TDL when this deal would take place. If Orpik's back and running on all cylinders I agree it doesn't make as much sense.
There's also value to not having Laich's contract counting against the cap this and next year as well.

Maybe you are right. Hudler. Had a big season last season. He is not out producing Johansson this season. Colborne's production has been sliding where Beagle's has been growing. Beagle is a right handed face off champ and colborne is a left shot. I am not against Colborne but would use him as a 4 rather than a 3 and would not come close to spending Bowey to get him. Russel is a small puck mover. He is not remotely Orpik insurance. Cut this deal down to Colborne and it might be realistic. If Calgary is a seller

aonb

Oct 26, 2013
Honestly, I've never been a big fan of Johansson, which is confirmed by my posts about him and his game, so this comment may by slightly biased, but.. we spoke, that Washington Capitals is project for NOW, so what's the point in keeping Mojo? He is enigma. He can fly 5 games and disappear for next 15. He is soft as hell and and when he's not producing, he doesn't help the team (no intangibles). He also has 5 f***** goals in 44 (!) playoffs games and along with Brouwer was absolutely dreadful in last playoff run.. Now he's playing decent and people seems to forget, that at the beginning of this season they wanted kill him or trade for bag of pucks. And they wanted to many times in past. I'll be extremely disappointed if after TD he'll still be in Caps jersey. We simply can't wait until he stabilizes his game enough to be real asset in PO. I hope we can make a deal which can help our scoring depth even if the price is Mojo.

Last edited:

Brian23

Dec 3, 2011
Even if Beagle is "demoted" to the 4th line, I wouldn't expect his TOI to drop as much as one would think. I think that'd lead to Trotz rolling his lines more and evening out the teams TOI.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Even if Beagle is "demoted" to the 4th line, I wouldn't expect his TOI to drop as much as one would think. I think that'd lead to Trotz rolling his lines more and evening out the teams TOI.

not true. trotz rolls 4 when the oppo rolls 4. when the other guy shortens his bench trotz doesn't keep rolling that 4 line out there. look at the playoff ice time for the 4 last playoffs vs the rangers

in the last playoffs Beagle was 7th among forwards in es toi. 14:12. Laich and Glencross played 10. Latta and Wilson played 7.

Last edited:

artilector

Jan 11, 2006
Honestly, I've never been a big fan of Johansson, which is confirmed by my posts about him and his game, so this comment may by slightly biased, but.. we spoke, that Washington Capitals is project for NOW, so what's the point in keeping Mojo? He is enigma. He can fly 5 games and disappear for next 15. He is soft as hell and and when he's not producing, he doesn't help the team (no intangibles). He also has 5 f***** goals in 44 (!) playoffs games and along with Brouwer was absolutely dreadful in last playoff run.. Now he's playing decent and people seems to forget, that at the beginning of this season they wanted kill him or trade for bag of pucks. And they wanted to many times in past. I'll be extremely disappointed if after TD he'll still be in Caps jersey. We simply can't wait until he stabilizes his game enough to be real asset in PO. I hope we can make a deal which can help our scoring depth even if the price is Mojo.

I don't expect anything great out of Mojo. But he's part of PP1 and Bura still hasn't arrived, and this makes it harder for the Caps to pull the trigger. Plus, it depends on who's actually available and at what cost.

Caps need a 3C upgrade. But IMO it would only make sense to deal Mojo for a 3C who would be a significant upgrade over Beagle, otherwise it's not worth reducing top-6 depth and having to adjust the PP. My feeling is, unless some great deal falls into their lap, the Caps will stand pat with Mojo, and will try to improve bottom-6 in some other way.

Dealing him would've made more sense earlier, when you'd have other options for the cap space, and a full year to make adjustments.

Mackinnonen

Sep 6, 2015
Don't think Winnipeg is selling... might as well forget Ladd. Same thing for Hudler. Seriously i'd trade for Hanzal even if he's injury prone. We are so done if Backy or Kuzy get hurt in the playoffs. After all depth is what wins in the post-season. The stars are lined for the Caps, but there are still weak areas for sure.

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
Well... after all, we can place a bid for Hanzal and keep adding until they bite.

Backlund seems to be another solid candidate. As far as I understand Backlund isn't some core player for them. And their position right now is far from certain. They could bite for a good price too.

That's 2 we can agree on, right?

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
NHL.com weekly power rankings

Not so good: The injury to defenseman Brooks Orpik has created a glaring possession issue; the Capitals have a 47.0 SAT percentage in 19 games without Orpik after having a 54.0 SAT percentage in 14 games with him, according to war-on-ice.com.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->