Speculation: Acq./Rost. Bldg./Cap/Lines etc. Part LXIV (A New Hope)

Status
Not open for further replies.

PuckBuddy

Green for Selke
Jul 14, 2009
Seattle, WA
Great. It's sort of embarrassing when goaltenders use their prerogative to have personalized equipment to have a helmet with SpongeBob taking a **** on the Eiffel tower.

hockeykicker

Dec 3, 2014
#Caps center Nicklas Backstrom is on the ice today with his teammates here at Kettler.

Per Vogel

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
@alex_prewitt: FWIW, not expecting any professional tryout contracts on the Caps' end for training camp. But we're still 2 weeks away from on-ice testing.

Even if Backstrom is ready to go, the 23rd player being Sill or Brown is underwhelming. It's beneficial that there could at least theoretically be a spot open initially for Vrana or Barber in a depth role as a motivator but solidifying competition at 3C seems much more important. They may only keep 22 and prefer the cap space to anyone still on the market but paving the way for Beagle/Bura at 3C and not adding to the competition there or for depth spots is a tough call. It's not like the bottom six is fully set, even when they're healthy.

I still think they should sign one of Weiss, Roy or Jokinen instead of banking cap space. The likely 3Cs available at the deadline will be very thin absent some surprise teams falling out of it or non-rentals being made available. Most of them are PKer types like Gordon that may be marginal all-around upgrades over Beagle. If they want to get more out of Wilson and whichever Swede 3LWer they need one of those more veteran offensive centers. That in turn might jam their fourth line and remove much of a chance for Galiev to be a regular but he shouldn't be the developmental priority. It needs be Wilson and as-is there's probably not enough help.

The Instigator

Tom Wilson - NHL All Star
Feb 6, 2010
@alex_prewitt: FWIW, not expecting any professional tryout contracts on the Caps' end for training camp. But we're still 2 weeks away from on-ice testing.

Even if Backstrom is ready to go, the 23rd player being Sill or Brown is underwhelming. It's beneficial that there could at least theoretically be a spot open initially for Vrana or Barber in a depth role as a motivator but solidifying competition at 3C seems much more important. They may only keep 22 and prefer the cap space to anyone still on the market but paving the way for Beagle/Bura at 3C and not adding to the competition there or for depth spots is a tough call. It's not like the bottom six is fully set, even when they're healthy.

I still think they should sign one of Weiss, Roy or Jokinen instead of banking cap space. The likely 3Cs available at the deadline will be very thin absent some surprise teams falling out of it or non-rentals being made available. Most of them are PKer types like Gordon that may be marginal all-around upgrades over Beagle. If they want to get more out of Wilson and whichever Swede 3LWer they need one of those more veteran offensive centers. That in turn might jam their fourth line and remove much of a chance for Galiev to be a regular but he shouldn't be the developmental priority. It needs be Wilson and as-is there's probably not enough help.
Derek Roy is a little on the small side but, man, I'd love to have him as an option for 3C. Going from Nashville to Edmonton could be a very demoralizing situation for a lot of players, but Derek Roy worked his ass off every game I saw. I'm surprised nobody has taken a crack at him yet, or at least invited him to a try-out.

MW6

Oct 21, 2011
Halland
Derek Roy is a little on the small side but, man, I'd love to have him as an option for 3C. Going from Nashville to Edmonton could be a very demoralizing situation for a lot of players, but Derek Roy worked his ass off every game I saw. I'm surprised nobody has taken a crack at him yet, or at least invited him to a try-out.

Didn't he sign a PTO with the Blues?

usiel

Where wolf’s ears are, wolf’s teeth are near.
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2002
Klendathu
www.myspace.com
Have to say catching a good part of the game 3 caps/rongos series last night on the NHL network there is no way one cannot not be excited about Kuznetsov/Bura/Wilson.

third man in

Jul 27, 2007
Maryland

Yeah I'd be down with Roy. He'd probably be ecstatic to play for a contender.

Brian23

Dec 3, 2011
I just remembered Erskines on the Roster. Is there anything we can do with him...?

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009

Roy, Weiss and Jokinen are a waste of space. I could easily see them in the press box a great deal or even worse taking ice time away from Burakovsky, Galiev, Latta etc who are younger and need to TOI for development.

Also who says we will need the banked space on a 3C at TDL? What if we suffer an injury or need to shore up defensive depth for example? What if Oshie gets injured and will miss the stretch run and we would then need a RW who may have a higher cap hit?

Better to have that space for insurance in case we need it rather than getting some garbage over the hill player who we hope can recapture some of their prior selves.

No reason getting a non-optimal vet at this point IMO.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
None of those options will cost more than $1M at this point most likely. It might be even less than that ala Cullen & Stoll ($800k) so that if they bust there is zero cap penalty if they're waived. It makes it pretty low-risk. Ideally PTOs would be the opportunity to make them earn a spot outright but within a certain cap number the only thing they'd be on the hook for is the contract dollars (and maybe not even that if they don't want to play in the AHL and prefer it terminated to play in Europe or something).

I get the insurance of banking cap space but if some serious injury happens then there will be LTIR to take into consideration. While we all hope that Backstrom is 100% off the hop and he's back to form we just don't know when or if that's going to happen. To not add some depth or at least some competition/insurance at that position is unwise. To rely on Burakovsky there is similarly unwise because it very likely diminishes his offensive strengths in the short-term. Maybe it's good for him developmentally but if he's going to be moved around a lot I don't think that's ideal either. Again, the Wilson development imperative is another big reason why they need to add someone. It's a big missed opportunity to not at least bring in a PTO player or two and see what they can do. I'm not entirely sure those options are solutions but what they have isn't unquestionably good enough either.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Banking cap space mandates paying out the ass at the deadline, to use that space.

While the Ovi opened window is closing, deadline adds \ minimal draft picks on draft day, has not led us to the promised land.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
NOTHING has led us to the promised land. However, the only time this team made a deep was with savvy deadline pickups that contributed. I just think it's hard to find those that click right away.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
if the caps don't choke in the final 2 minutes of game 5, glencross goes down in history as a playoff hero. anyway, 98 was all goalie anyway and he was not a deadline pickup.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Banking cap space mandates paying out the ass at the deadline, to use that space.

While the Ovi opened window is closing, deadline adds \ minimal draft picks on draft day, has not led us to the promised land.

banking some cap space creates flexibility that can save your season or kill it if you don't have it.

its not always losing a Bill Guerin for lack of cap space. last season the penguins were stuck playing with 4 or 5 defensemen down the stretch because they didn't have the cap space for call ups.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad