Speculation: Caps Hockey General Discussion (Coaching/FAs/Cap/Lines etc) -- 2017-18 Regular Season Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Devil Dancer

Jan 21, 2006
This is how GMGM got that rep with agents I guess.

Was it Katie who wrote that scathing story on her way out of town?

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
When I see the Quenneville discussion thread on the main boards, I can’t help but wonder if Leonsis would jump to get him...if He and Chicago were to part ways.

Reactions: Eazy for Kuzy

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
sounds like jussi jokinen is going to be waived by oilers per main board. cheap depth?

I’d give him a look but someone else would have to do the cap math since I’m on mobile. He’s always been a good possession forward with some decent finishing touch. Certainly a better option than a lot of players currently on the roster for a bottom 6 role.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
Maybe but the Oilers have worse forward depth than we do and if they're willing to waive him that's not exactly a ringing endorsement.
I’d give him a look but someone else would have to do the cap math since I’m on mobile. He’s always been a good possession forward with some decent finishing touch. Certainly a better option than a lot of players currently on the roster for a bottom 6 role.

For $1.1M we should absolutely claim him. He's had a bad start with the Oilers, but then again the entire team had a bad start. Last year was nothing incredible, only 28 points, but a year before that he was a 60 point player. He's declining fast but he can't be worse than our depth guys. He can play all 3 positions up front. Dare I say he's like an old Marcus Johansson?

Reactions: The Instigator

The Instigator

Tom Wilson - NHL All Star
Feb 6, 2010
For $1.1M we should absolutely claim him. He's had a bad start with the Oilers, but then again the entire team had a bad start. Last year was nothing incredible, only 28 points, but a year before that he was a 60 point player. He's declining fast but he can't be worse than our depth guys. He can play all 3 positions up front. Dare I say he's like an old Marcus Johansson?
I wouldn't play him at center under anything but emergency circumstances but for the most part I agree. He's been running fourth line duty on Edmonton which isn't great use of him at all. At this point we could be trying him at any top 9 wing position without very much risk. It's only ten games in and they're giving up on him which, at his price tag, I think is a good risk to take.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions

I'd rather have JJ in the lineup over Peluso, but I'd rather give Walker a full-time look than sign JJ.

Reactions: Eazy for Kuzy

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
I'd rather have JJ in the lineup over Peluso, but I'd rather give Walker a full-time look than sign JJ.

Speaking of Walker here's an RMNB article on his lack of playing time:

https://www.russianmachineneverbrea...nation-nathan-walker-isnt-playing-doesnt-add/

I agree with it. Is he as good as his possession and scoring chance numbers show in a small sample? Probably not, but shouldn't he at least get a consistent shot as long as he's putting up solid numbers and good energy? Especially when the alternative is Peluso?

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Someone is feeling the pressure wit the Caps at 6th in the 8 team Metro, and Carolina right behind with 2 games in hand. Caps are currently 2 points out of the last wild card spot behind Philly, but tied with Boston and Detroit

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Someone is feeling the pressure wit the Caps at 6th in the 8 team Metro, and Carolina right behind with 2 games in hand. Caps are currently 2 points out of the last wild card spot behind Philly, but tied with Boston and Detroit

Sounds like a perfect spot to be.

Someone already said that the wild card was the secret path to the Cup. ;)

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
I thought it was an 82 game season? Did that change?

Didnt Pitt come from way way way back 2 years ago, after firing Johnstone?

Didnt the Isles come from last place overall last year to missing by just a point?
Things can obviously change between Thanksgiving and the season's end (just look at Boudreau's first year). But both of the examples you gave and the one I just cited all involved changes being made after the sluggish start. All three involved firing the head coach.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Are not standings largely set by Thanksgiving?

In the salary cap era if you're in a playoff spot at Thanksgiving you have about an 80% chance of making the playoffs. The actual seedings may shuffle but the teams are mostly set. Or at least that was true up until a few years ago. Not sure if that's changed.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
In the salary cap era if you're in a playoff spot at Thanksgiving you have about an 80% chance of making the playoffs. The actual seedings may shuffle but the teams are mostly set. Or at least that was true up until a few years ago. Not sure if that's changed.

13/16 teams in playoff spots at Thanksgiving last year made it. Interestingly, Nashville was one of the three teams not in the playoffs at Thanksgiving yet they went on to make it to the Cup Finals.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
Are not standings largely set by Thanksgiving?

Statistics say that if your team is far outside of a playoff spot around Thanksgiving, you're screwed. As of today, according to Hockey-Reference, the Caps have a 33.9% chance of making the playoffs. For comparison's sake, the Penguins are the next team above us with a 34.8% chance of making it, and we all know they'll be a playoff team for sure. The Rangers are in trouble though, they're last in the East with a 13.8% chance of making it.

We're still close enough to have a chance of making it, but Trotz and GMBM must be feeling the heat. Leonsis is firing both of them if the Caps don't make the playoffs, injuries won't be a valid excuse here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->