Accrued seasons

Status
Not open for further replies.

Strangelove

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Can anyone tell me what they count as "accrued seasons"?

For example, what if a player played a single game in a particular season.... does that count?

And if the 2004-05 cancelled season will be counted as a year of accrued service, there are obviously limits on which players can use that. Which ones? What is the criteria?

BobMckenzie

Jul 23, 2003
ToeBlake said:

For example, what if a player played a single game in a particular season.... does that count?

And if the 2004-05 cancelled season will be counted as a year of accrued service, there are obviously limits on which players can use that. Which ones? What is the criteria?

For the purposes of determining free agency, an "accrued" season is 40 or more NHL games, although the washed out 04-05 season counts as a year of service or an "accrued" season. So when they say a player is a free agent after seven years of accrued service, they're talking seven seasons of 40 or more NHL games per season. At least that is my understanding, although I must admit I didn't commit the CBA to memory yet, and besides it's time to switch gears and get ready for the draft.

looooob

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
BobMckenzie said:
For the purposes of determining free agency, an "accrued" season is 40 or more NHL games, although the washed out 04-05 season counts as a year of service or an "accrued" season. So when they say a player is a free agent after seven years of accrued service, they're talking seven seasons of 40 or more NHL games per season. At least that is my understanding, although I must admit I didn't commit the CBA to memory yet, and besides it's time to switch gears and get ready for the draft.

so has Dion Phaneuf (for example) accrued a season or not?

players who have never played a single NHL game, yet had contracts for 04-05--although they may have never played in the NHL that year. I"m sure there are less high profile examples that might be more relevant

Strangelove

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
BobMckenzie said:

Thanks Bob.

Big fan here....

kdb209

Jan 26, 2005
ToeBlake said:

In the last CBA, "Accrued Season" was used to define UFA eligibility (Group III UFAs needed 4 accrued seasons in addition to age 31 yo).

"Accrued Season" means any League Year during which a player was on a Club's Playing Roster for 40 (30 if the Player is a goalie) or more regular season NHL games, provided that, for the purposes of calculating an Accrued Season under this Agreement, games missed due to a hockey-related injury incurred while on a Club's Playing Roster shall count as games played for purposes of calculating an Accrued Season but only during the League Year in which the injury was incurred and a maximum of one additional season.

ARTICLE 10 FREE AGENCY

10.1 Unrestricted Free Agents.

(a) Group III Players and Free Agents.

(i) For (A) the 1994/95, 1995/96 and 1996/97 League Years, any player who is 32 years of age or older as of June 30 of the end of the 1994/95, 1995/96, and 1996/97 League Year, as the case may be, and (B) the 1997/98, 1998/99, 1999/2000, 2000/01, 2001/02, 2002/03 and 2003/04 League Years, any player who is 31 years of age or older as of June 30 of the end of the 1997/98, 1998/99, 1999/2000, 2000/01, 2001/02, 2002/03 and 2003/04 League Year, as the case may be, and in either case has four (4) Accrued Seasons or more on June 30 of the end of the applicable League Year, shall, if his Player Contract has expired, become an Unrestricted Free Agent. Such player shall be completely free to negotiate and sign a Player Contract with any Club, and any Club shall be completely free to negotiate and sign a Player Contract with such player, without penalty or restriction, or being subject to any Right of First Refusal, Draft Choice Compensation or any other compensation or equalization obligation of any kind.

In addition to the 40 games played "Accrued Seasons" for UFAs, there were 10 games played thresholds for aging ELS contracts and earning a year of experience towards arbitration rights.

How things will be defined in the new CBA is anybody's guess - Hey NHL, release the damn thing will you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad