According to JR - players guaranteed cost certainty

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brent Burns Beard

Powered by Vasiliev Podsloven
Feb 27, 2002
didnt the owners offer to take the players model if they "guaranteed" it ?

"Roenick said he still can't believe the NHL owners didn't accept the players' last offer.
He confirmed the association offered a deal that would give the owners their "cost certainty."

'GUARANTEED' OFFER

"We guaranteed it. If it did not do what we said it would do and put a drag down on salaries after three years, we would go to their system and accept a salary cap," said Roenick. "Something that's equal for both sides. "

http://www.canoe.ca/NewsStand/OttawaSun/Sports/2005/01/29/913786-sun.html

Crazy Lunatic

DR said:
didnt the owners offer to take the players model if they "guaranteed" it ?

"Roenick said he still can't believe the NHL owners didn't accept the players' last offer.
He confirmed the association offered a deal that would give the owners their "cost certainty."

'GUARANTEED' OFFER

"We guaranteed it. If it did not do what we said it would do and put a drag down on salaries after three years, we would go to their system and accept a salary cap," said Roenick. "Something that's equal for both sides. "

http://www.canoe.ca/NewsStand/OttawaSun/Sports/2005/01/29/913786-sun.html

That was the rumor I heard about a week ago but I didn't believe it. There must have been a catch somewhere because on its face, it looks like an amazing deal for the owners. I heard something about Bettman wanting the players to agree to waive their right to sue for collusion and the players denied that request. Either that or I think there are more than a few owners who think they have the union right where they want them and are going for the kill. Maybe the players aren't as insane as I thought. I might have to side with them if that actually was the deal offered and the NHL rejected it.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
The thing to remember is the players can collude. All they have to do is hold down the salaries for a few years by maintainung the over blown status quo. They would have to guarantee it for a lot longer than 3 years. Would Goodenow agree to hold salaries down for 10 years?

Brent Burns Beard

Feb 27, 2002
me2 said:
The thing to remember is the players can collude. All they have to do is hold down the salaries for a few years by maintainung the over blown status quo. They would have to guarantee it for a lot longer than 3 years. Would Goodenow agree to hold salaries down for 10 years?
easily overcome though. the proposal was for only 6 years. if things get out of hand in the 2nd 3 years, the owner will have their chance to get their cap.

if they dont get out of control in the 2nd 3 years, then its been guaranteed and succesful.

dr

wazee

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
JR is always interesting. He doesn't give any details of the player's plan. And, as always with these things, the devil is in the details...

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
DR said:
easily overcome though. the proposal was for only 6 years. if things get out of hand in the 2nd 3 years, the owner will have their chance to get their cap.

if they dont get out of control in the 2nd 3 years, then its been guaranteed and succesful.

dr

But was that Goodenow's offer? I doubt it. After 6 years we are back here again. Got any good links to the player's offer that contain high levels of detail?

Brent Burns Beard

Feb 27, 2002
me2 said:
But was that Goodenow's offer? I doubt it. After 6 years we are back here again. Got any good links to the player's offer that contain high levels of detail?
im not sure what you are saying ..

do you have links to say otherwise ? i provided a link to a significant comment from an influential player.

read into it as little or as much as you choose.

dr

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
DR said:
im not sure what you are saying ..

do you have links to say otherwise ? i provided a link to a significant comment from an influential player.

read into it as little or as much as you choose.

dr

We know they agreed to some kind of change over based on some criteria (what they exactly are I'm not sure). It might change over after 3 or it might not change all, even if years 4-6 would have violated the trigger clause because the trigger clause only applies to years 1-3.

The devil is in the detail.

What are the triggers for the change over to a cap?

Will the NHLPA oppose a cap in future CBA's even if this one is triggered?

If years 4-6 violate the trigger from year 1-3 its not going to matter because the CBA ends.

thinkwild

Veni Vidi Toga
Jul 29, 2003
Ottawa
I had heard this rumoured, but I didnt know it was part of last PA proposal, i thought it was something they were suggesting after it in one of the many leaks of concepts.

But if its true, it is at least another creative idea. Cost certainty for 3 years, owners spend what they wish for 3 years. An interesting idea at least that surely seems to be making attempts at bridging the gap in good faith.

kerrly

May 16, 2004
Regina
thinkwild said:
I had heard this rumoured, but I didnt know it was part of last PA proposal, i thought it was something they were suggesting after it in one of the many leaks of concepts.

But if its true, it is at least another creative idea. Cost certainty for 3 years, owners spend what they wish for 3 years. An interesting idea at least that surely seems to be making attempts at bridging the gap in good faith.

It would be hard to police. Who's saying that the players purposely can't keep their contracts low for the first three years, or the owners purposely try to inflate the salaries by signing guys for more money.

Brent Burns Beard

Feb 27, 2002
kerrly said:
It would be hard to police. Who's saying that the players purposely can't keep their contracts low for the first three years, or the owners purposely try to inflate the salaries by signing guys for more money.
if the players keep their salaries low, for whatever reason and by whatever control, who cares ? isnt that the only thing that matters ?

if the owners run up their costs, you think the players will mind ?

dr

kerrly

May 16, 2004
Regina
DR said:
if the players keep their salaries low, for whatever reason and by whatever control, who cares ? isnt that the only thing that matters ?

if the owners run up their costs, you think the players will mind ?

dr

Either way, the players do it for the first three years, to keep their less restriciting system in place and get the long term benefits. The owners purposely inflate salaries, and get the cap. I can just see a huge finger pointing contest and I can see another lockout just like this one in 6 years.

Brent Burns Beard