Aaron Judge Sets Rookie HR Record

Oscar Acosta

Mar 19, 2011
DKl7pt8XkAAf6E3.jpg

Figured this was worth a thread. Given how much flak the guy gets for his strikeout rate, setting an MLB record is no easy feat.

His HR Derby show was insane as ****. Bashing balls off the roof and back wall. And doing that put him in a slump for a good 21 games, his 50 HRs could have been more like 59.

Also my vote for AL MVP, Yankees were rebuilders without him stepping up like he did.

Last edited:

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
He'll have stiff competition from Jose Ramirez & Altuve but its not out of the question. Just have to see if voters hold his strikeouts against him.

Nontheless, its one of the best rookie seasons in MLB history.

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
If we are going with the scenario that Trout is out of it because of time missed and the fact that the Angels aren't going to the postseason then I think Judge takes this.

Yes, his strikeouts are outrageous but he also leads in the league in walks, runs scored, and HR. Plus it's not like his BA is .220 or something. It's still a very respectable .280+

He beats the Jose's in OBP, SLG, OPS, OPS+ (just barely over Altuve). Judge is also isn't a liability in the field or baserunning like you could have argued in years past for someone like Miggy.

So, yeah, he strikes out a ton but he still ends up on base more than Altuve and Ramirez. Also, Ttout won an MVP while leading the league is SO as well so it's not a big deal clearly.

When you take into account that he's a rookie, won the HR derby, plays in NY, is a big personality while the other two play in Cleveland and Houston and aren't nearly as marketable... come on... it's gonna be Judge and he's not a bad choice just based on the numbers either.

Reactions: Evil Speaker

Bjorn Le

Hobocop
May 17, 2010
Martinaise, Revachol
Figured this was worth a thread. Given how much flak the guy gets for his strikeout rate, setting an MLB record is no easy feat. Especially one that was set 20 years ago by a cheater. .

This year has smashed the season record for homeruns. If anything, the conditions are very similar to the late 1990s but instead of all the top players being juiced, it's the balls. Very impressive for Judge, but he's not hitting 50 homeruns as a rookie if this is 2007.

Reactions: Aja

darko

Feb 16, 2009
This year has smashed the season record for homeruns. If anything, the conditions are very similar to the late 1990s but instead of all the top players being juiced, it's the balls. Very impressive for Judge, but he's not hitting 50 homeruns as a rookie if this is 2007.

Good thing it's not 2007.

Bjorn Le

Hobocop
May 17, 2010
Martinaise, Revachol
Only when i read stuff that makes zero sense.

The amount of credibility you have when you make a statement like that is zero when you can't write more than what amounts to a short tweet, let alone a coherent reply. Fact of the matter is, Judge is being talked up as if his homerun numbers are so much more impressive than the late 1990s/early 2000s stats because that was the steroid era, yet Judge is playing in an era where the contextual factors exceed the favourably homerun hitting environment that existed with juiced players, and is hitting at historically unsustainable numbers (both in terms of strikeouts and FB/HR%). He had a rookie season for the ages, but the media (especially in NYC) is overrating him.

You're clearly a Yankees fan, you seem to take offense to anything that isn't 110% positive about New York.

darko

Feb 16, 2009
The amount of credibility you have when you make a statement like that is zero when you can't write more than what amounts to a short tweet, let alone a coherent reply. Fact of the matter is, Judge is being talked up as if his homerun numbers are so much more impressive than the late 1990s/early 2000s stats because that was the steroid era, yet Judge is playing in an era where the contextual factors exceed the favourably homerun hitting environment that existed with juiced players, and is hitting at historically unsustainable numbers (both in terms of strikeouts and FB/HR%). He had a rookie season for the ages, but the media (especially in NYC) is overrating him.

You're clearly a Yankees fan, you seem to take offense to anything that isn't 110% positive about New York.

You are the one saying that balls are juiced. How about we appreciate what guys like Stanton and Judge are doing?

Bjorn Le

Hobocop
May 17, 2010
Martinaise, Revachol

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
I'm not sure but I thought I read somewhere that all the batters were being pitched the same balls. Guess it's just Judge and Stanton who are being thrown bouncy balls.

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
The ball were juiced then, too.

Pitching was better.

Oscar Acosta

Mar 19, 2011
Juiced balls or a 6 foot 7 beast of a man who has the timing and ability to undercut a ball to lift it out?

I don't know, you'd think with juiced balls people like Miguel Cabrera and Jose Bautista wouldn't have played themselves into irrelevance. How many juiced balls do we see popping off the hands of Kershaw or Syndergaard?

As a huge fan of Roger Maris I was hoping Stanton would get 62 because it would be legit. 50 for a rookie with medium hype is insane.

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
Juiced balls or a 6 foot 7 beast of a man who has the timing and ability to undercut a ball to lift it out?

I don't know, you'd think with juiced balls people like Miguel Cabrera and Jose Bautista wouldn't have played themselves into irrelevance. How many juiced balls do we see popping off the hands of Kershaw or Syndergaard?

As a huge fan of Roger Maris I was hoping Stanton would get 62 because it would be legit. 50 for a rookie with medium hype is insane.

It doesn't matter if the balls are juiced if a player is past their prime. Can't hit out what you can't catch. Will chalk it up to a down year for Cabrera until he does it again.

They did ct scans on the baseballs from the steroid era and ones from the 90's. The steroid era baseballs had much bigger cores.

King Mapes

Sub to My YouTube Blocks_4_days
Feb 9, 2008
Edmonton
I'm not sure but I thought I read somewhere that all the batters were being pitched the same balls. Guess it's just Judge and Stanton who are being thrown bouncy balls.
That's like saying Bonds, Mcguire and Sosa were only juicing. Does Judge hit 50 a few years ago? Of course not. Not discrediting him, he's been one of the best players this year in his rookie season. That's impressive. But obviously he wouldn't hit THIS many a few years ago. Everybody's homerun totals would be lower. League wide.

darko

Feb 16, 2009
That's like saying Bonds, Mcguire and Sosa were only juicing. Does Judge hit 50 a few years ago? Of course not. Not discrediting him, he's been one of the best players this year in his rookie season. That's impressive. But obviously he wouldn't hit THIS many a few years ago. Everybody's homerun totals would be lower. League wide.

You don't know that. Trumbo and Davis hit 47 in 15/16. Davis launched 50+ in 2013. Bautista launched 50+ in 2010.

King Mapes

Sub to My YouTube Blocks_4_days
Feb 9, 2008
Edmonton
Am i surprised 2 people hit 50+ this year? No. I am surprised Judge is 1 of the 2.

you should be surprised since only 1 person has since 2010. But obviously homerun totals are up this year for obvious reasons.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->