AAA10-AAA Quarterfinal Round: #3 Lynnmour Ice Cream Men vs. #6 Lynchburg Old No. 7

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
AAA10-AAA Quarterfinal Playoff Round:

Lynnmour Ice Cream Men

Coaches:Glen Sonmor, Larry Robinson

Tony Tanti - Martin Straka - Bud Poile
Butch Keeling (A) - Mike Walton - Ed Olczyk
Jorgen Pettersson - Larry Patey - Bobby Gould
Bep Guidolin - Dave Creighton - Kevin McClelland
Henrik Sedin

Dale Tallon - Pierre Bouchard
Oleg Tverdovsky - Hugh Bolton
Al Dewsbury - Brian Campbell
Moe Mantha

Kelly Hrudey
Felix Potvin

vs.

Lynchburg Old No. 7

Coach: Barry Trotz

Jack McDonald - Herb Jordan - Tony Gingras (C)
Dolly Swift - Don Raleigh - Ken Mallen
Ethan Moreau - Todd Marchant (A) - Chico Maki
Hib Milks - Jude Drouin - Jimmy Ward
Dave Semenko, Andrei Lomakin

Art Moore (A) - Roy Rickey
Eric Weinrich - Brad Marsh
Keith Brown - Reggie Fleming
Mark Streit

Billy Nicholson
Hal Winkler​

Last edited:

VanIslander

Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
ice-cream-man-dvd-cover.jpg

vs.

OldNo7JackDaniels.jpg

Know Your Enemy

Registered
Jul 18, 2004
North Vancouver
I've decided to heed your advice and do some lineup shuffling.
Top 6 forwards will look like this:
Tanti-Straka-Poile
Keeling-Walton-Olczyk

And Brian Campbell will replace Moe Mantha

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
First of all, I think this should be a pretty close series. I expected your team to place well, but I think my boys are capable of the upset as well.

I think my top line can provide a little more jam than yours thanks to the presense of Gingras. In a head-to-head match-up beween top lines, I think Gingras' physicallity and ability to be all over the ice gives him an advantage over the smallish Straka and Tanti.

If I can line-match my first line against your first line, that frees up my checking line to go up against the more physical Walton line of yours. I think I have assembled a very strong third line, and hoped that could be used to great advantage. However, you have an excellent third line as well. In fact, I voted Petersson as one of the top 10 forwards.

On defense, your blueline is clearly more dynamic offensively. Mine is of the stay-at-home variety, but I think my forwards can generate enough offense to off-set that somewhat. I like the ability of guys like Marsh and Fleming to outmuscle some of your scorers down low and in front of the net. Having Tallon, Tverdovsky, and Campbell will give you much better options on the powerplay, so my guys will need to stay out of the box. Hopefully speedsters Mallen or Marchant can force your pointmen to back off a little over fear of giving up a breakaway on an ill-timed pinch at the blue line.

Will former enforcer teammates Semenko and McClelland drop the gloves? It would be a good bout for sure. :)

There are question marks in goal. Hrudey is capable of stepping up in a big way and stealing a game (think Lafontaine 4-OT), but as a whole, his playoff numbers are only ordinary. Nicholson had one sterling playoff year in the early 1900's, winning the Cup, and likely the Smythe had it existed. He was pretty solid in the next season's Stanley Cup games as well. But there's not a lot to write home about outside of his two or three year peak, he was more or less a journeyman goaltender for the remainder of his career. I do think that his upside is higher than Hrudey's if both goalers play to their full potential.

The X-factor might be historical playoff performances of the players. I feel I have an edge in this regard. McDonald and Jordan won a Stanley Cup together and were key players on that team. Gingras was, along with Dan Bain, the top performer on the Winnipeg teams that challenged for the Cup a century ago. Raleigh was fantastic and clutch in his limited experience with the Rangers. I took Drouin almost entirely on the basis of his now-forgotten playoff scoring excellence. Todd Marchant has scored a Game 7 OT winner and has won a Cup, as has his winger Maki, while other winger Moreau has been to a final series. On the back-end, Art Moore was a starting defenseman on Ottawa's early chamionship teams. That's not to say your boys are playoff slouches, but a lot of my guys have the rings to back them up.

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
I don't look forward to having to vote on this series. One's the higher seed with a stronger blueline, the other has some great clutch playoff scoring. both have goalies who showed glimpses of playoff greatness. Lynnmour even has a backup goalie who could step in and stal some games at this level.

I see one question mark on each blueline. Marsh must have done something right to last so long in the NHL but at the same time, his adjusted +/- over his career came out really brutal. Part of that is because his offense was negligible, but there have been other defensemen of the same nature who managed to still have better goal differentials than their teammates. I haven't been convinced he belongs here. On the other side, there is Tverdovsky, who is the prototypical "good with the puck, bad in his own end" defenseman. He is often called "the worst two-time cup winner" and while I don't know for sure if that is true, he did contribute to two cups and that counts for something. Three times he placed pretty highly among the league defensemen in scoring but I am not sure with him either, if his net contributions at the NHL level were positive or negative. But then, his career adjusted +/- is +72, so what do I know?

I don't buy that Weinrich doesn't belong; I think he was a solid player for a very long time - 388 points in the era he played in, must be considered on par with the 488 that Driver had, or the 530 that Murray had, and he was good defensively for the most part. I think it was smart to hold onto him instead of using an add/drop.

I don't see any excellent passers in the top-6 on either team, but one of them will end up getting the job done and taking the series. Raleigh, Walton and Poile are each "passable" passers, which appears to give Lynnmour the edge in that area, but then Old # 7 has some guys whose playmaking ability isn't that well-known. You either have to dig deep or use your imagination. McDonald was 4th and 8th in assists in the NHA, which was a half league. Mallen peaked before assists were reliably kept, but placed 6th and 9th in the PCHA, a half league. Jordan and Swift played before assists were kept. Strangely, I found assist totals for Gingras' league. he played between 2 and 5 games every year and had between 1 and 3 assists each season. When he had 3, it was tops in the Manitoba league. When he had 2, it was anywhere from tied for first, to 4th. Plus it was just the Manitoba league, which was one of the better leagues but not one of the two best in its time. It's really tough to get a read on his playmaking.

VanIslander

Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
Ice Cream Men are hard and have it sweet, winning the series (Old No. 7 lose in 7 games).

Three stars: 1. Polie 2. Keeling 3. Nicholson

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad