Confirmed with Link: AA has made the opening night roster

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
A lot of people will be pissed when AA/Mantha are wearing a suit in the presser instead of a jersey on the bench. With Nyquist, Tatar, Zetterberg and Abdelkader pretty much locked in as wingers and Larkin and Nielsen as top centers that leaves only bottom 6 roles. The third line now has Helm, Vanek and Sheahan all 'above' AA or Mantha and they are both ill suited, especially Mantha, to be on a line centered by Stonehand Luke.
They may not be in the Game 1 lineup but Blashill specifically says they'll be sent down if they're not playing much. So at minimum we should see some kind of rotation to get them playing.

gretskidoo

Nov 26, 2011
AA made the team last year. You'd think.

http://www.mlive.com/redwings/index.ssf/2016/10/red_wings_jeff_blashill_on_tee.html#incart_river_index

Nyquist on the third line, initially, with Tats on the first. Mantha rotating on Larkin's line and AA on Helm's. Maybe I'm reading too much in to this, but I've got a feeling Nyquist and maybe Sheahan might be on the trading block. Isn't there an opening for a GK in Winnipeg btw? :popcorn:

Vanek and Nyquist looked good together in the preseason, so I wouldn't look too much into it.

Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
If the most recent lines are representative, I think it's going to be Mantha. Mantha is switching spots in practice with Sheahan, who doesn't have a firm grip on a scoring line spot. AA is switching spots with either Vanek, Helm, or Nyquist. Those guys aren't going anywhere.

njx9

Feb 1, 2016
So AA it is... Good. Hopefully Mantha gets some solid call-ups on 'scoring' lines and AA gets more then 6-9 minutes a night.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Bad Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
Welp, congrats AA. I figured out of the two he would be the one to stay due to his versatility, but I'll agree the practice lines had me thinking it could've been Mantha.

And y'all said it was impossible without injury, granted I thought Ott would be the one getting waived but I never have up hope - less attractive waiver exempt players than years past.

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills
Very excited to see AA make the team, I really hope that Blashill will allow the play of the team to dictate who is in and out of the lineup. AA knows he has a lot to prove and I'm hoping he shows that early on and doesn't look back.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Athanasiou deserves this for how well he did with his limited minutes almost nearly half a season in the NHL last season. I am happy they did this, I think it is the right move and it makes us a better team.

njx9

Feb 1, 2016
images.jpeg

Still hoping he's up on a real line, with real ice time, but clearly I was wrong about the roster.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad