A Way Out

Hockeyfrilla

Swe prospect fanatic
May 25, 2008
Sweden
A Way Out is an action-adventure game played from a third-person perspective. It is specifically designed for split-screen cooperative multiplayer, which means that it must be played with another player through either local or online play.

Reviews: A Way Out

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2012
A friend and I were talking about possibly getting this. Is there matchmaking if we get to the point where one of us doesn't want to finish it, while the other does?

Commander Clueless

Hiya, hiya. Pleased to meetcha.
Sep 10, 2008
It looks really cool and with such a neat way of interacting.

Definitely want to play it at some point.

sa cyred

Running Data Models
Sep 11, 2007
SJ
So keeping away from reviews but seems to be a combination of some really high ratings and a few low ones. I partially read one low one though and part of the bad score was because "No AI to take control and be able to play single player". Like really? I consider that a plus.

Also I heard if you speed through the storyline, it takes around 6 hours. If you play normally and enjoy the ride per say, can be about 9-10 hours. For a <$30 game, that's solid gameplay. As much as having long gameplay is great, I think a shorter gametime (at a reasonable cost) can really work also.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Just finished the play-through with my friend. It was an incredible experience. There were a lot of different, unique scenarios we found ourselves in, and the way they implemented the co-op function was amazing. It really felt like you were working with someone rather than just playing with someone. It took us about 6 hours to finish.

A friend and I were talking about possibly getting this. Is there matchmaking if we get to the point where one of us doesn't want to finish it, while the other does?

Yes, you can get paired with a random even if you're in the middle of the game. There are different "chapters" that are basically the checkpoints of the game.

I would recommend it, even for $30, if you have a friend to play with (as only one of you needs to buy the game for both to play), but if it ever goes on sale, definitely get it then.

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
The split screen coop version of this game looks awful. You actually hear the dialogue from both players missions at the same time from what ives seen.

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
Well guess that's tough for you since i'm pretty sure it split screens on either local or online. :laugh: Such a dumb criticism too, especially considering if you do activate two dialogues at once, the other player is tuned down significantly.

I played the first couple hours of it with my friend tonight. I love it. A unique, albeit simple take on co-op style gameplay. Favorite part so far is either the climbing up the shaft back to back (I got serious Mario and Luigi throwback nostalgia since that's the place where I first seen that idea) or the boat going down the rapids. Crashing into rocks has never been so fun. :laugh:

I assume Gamespot gave this a 6 because their writers were probably too stupid to understand how to play it.

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
They probably gave it a 6 because the writing and acting is terrible. What I've watched on streams of this game seems like it's just as campy as a David Cage game but with less of a budget behind it.

Was kinda surprised to see it hovering around 80 MC since everything I'd heard of it has been extremely negative.

Last edited:

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
My friend and I were so bad at the rapids part :laugh:

We decided to end it there for our first session after failing a few times (we were literally going down the rapids backward every time).

sa cyred

Running Data Models
Sep 11, 2007
SJ
Eh I’ve been playing it with my brother. While the acting isn’t Oscar worthy, I don’t find it terrible. It really is a fantastic game which when reading the MC reviews definitly agree with. They did a great job implementing the coop atmosphere.

I’ll try to find the review I was reading but one guy complained he can’t play it single player and gave it a 6 as the main reason. Like really?

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
They probably gave it a 6 because the writing and acting is terrible. What I've watched on streams of this game seems like it's just as campy as a David Cage game but with less of a budget behind it.

Was kinda surprised to see it hovering around 80 MC since everything I'd heard of it has been extremely negative.

Oh so we're playing games for acting now?

There's a totally different medium to look at if you want good acting. Just saying.

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
Oh so we're playing games for acting now?

There's a totally different medium to look at if you want good acting. Just saying.
Don't really see what the issue is with wanting good acting from a game? Have not played it but it seems like it's pretty heavily narrative based. A lot of games nowadays play out similar to movies, don't see what the issue with wanting good acting and writing is.

If you look at a studio like Naughty Dog for example, a big reason their recent games are so well liked is acting/dialogue.

Reactions: Beau Knows

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2012
I've only played for an hour or so but I'm having fun so far. I definitely see the complaint about voice acting and writing, though. Already some cringe-worthy quotes and situations. The game is fun though so that's all I really care about.

Oscar Acosta

Mar 19, 2011
How does this work with a friend who doesn’t own the game!

I know that was originally a big selling feature but I don’t see how it works any different than Share Play?

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2012
How does this work with a friend who doesn’t own the game!

I know that was originally a big selling feature but I don’t see how it works any different than Share Play?
On Origin you can download the “friend pass” for free and start up the game. You just can’t do anything until you get invited by a friend that bought the full version.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad