A very tough one: Vokoun or Hasek ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

interminded

Aug 10, 2005
Netherlands
Hasek spoke to the team manager and he said he would like to got the Olympics, but only as the starter or the backup, not as the 3rd string man.
Which is a fair statement, given Hasek's stats in this season.

But then what ?

Who do you start ? Tomas Vokoun or Dominik Hasek ?

Personally, I would choose Vokoun. He has a similar great season and he earned his spot on the Czech national team.

Waht do you think ?

TORRUS

May 31, 2004
Beli
Hasek easily! He just brings too much experience not to play him. Plus he enjoys so much respect from other teams and is still this season the best goalie in the world.

interminded

Aug 10, 2005
Netherlands
TORRUS said:
Hasek easily! He just brings too much experience not to play him. Plus he enjoys so much respect from other teams and is still this season the best goalie in the world.

Valid points, although "the best in the world" is debatable...

However, "easily" it's not, IMO.

Shoalzie

Trust me!
May 16, 2003
Portland, MI
interminded said:
Valid points, although "the best in the world" is debatable...

Who's better? Turco? There are few guys playing as well as Hasek right now. I'd argue he's best goalie in the league right now.

Powdered Toast Man

Is he a ham?
Nov 22, 2005
Hasek, loyalty more then anything. He is playing great, he's won it before. I don't see why this is even a question going in. If he faulters then I assume Vokoun would get a shot rather quickly though.

tomerez

Mar 16, 2003
Toronto, ON
Visit site
I think Vokoun deserves much more consideration after the way he played for the Czechs in the World Cup & World Championships (named the tournament's best goalie and led the Czechs to the championship). In no way is this an easy decision.

Rick Middleton

May 14, 2002
Ottawa, ON
Hasek because of his record. He's playing as well as he has ever played, and when weighing one against the other, his history tips the scale in his favour.

MM425

Aug 14, 2005
Vokoun is the better goalie.

While Hasek has had a good year (better than I expected)... all due respect he really hasn't had to steal a game for them all season. Plus, hes 40 years old... you have to hand over the reigns to the guy who's going to be there for probably 2 more Olympics.

Vokoun is the main reason why the Preds are doing so well this season and he persoanlly gift-wrapped the Czechs the World Championships last year.

I would personally be suprised if he isn't starting the first game for the Czechs... only problem is Hasek probably wouldn't accept the role of backup... he's been known to have an ego when it comes to goaltending partners.

RangersFan88*

actually very easy one

HASEK !!!!!!

all the way dominik
he was the best he still is the best and ,well if he would be younger ^^, he'd stay the best
if there is a solution to who starts in net at the olymipics i'd say they split the games between hasek and vokoun and then we'll see who get the spot when it goes down to the medal rounds

discostu

Nov 12, 2002
Nomadville
Visit site
It's a tough call. I'm usually of the mindset that you play the best player you have right now, and, either play can lay claim to that title, IMO. However, given that it's so close, I think you have to give it to Hasek, who has won gold for them in the past.

As a Sens fan though, I'd rather he didn't play. Even though he's looked great out there, and has shown no signs of age, I personally would prefer if he didn't risk it. I also rather Team Canada shooters don't have to face him :p: .

Claypool_*

Mackattack said:
I would personally be suprised if he isn't starting the first game for the Czechs... only problem is Hasek probably wouldn't accept the role of backup... he's been known to have an ego when it comes to goaltending partners.

Hasek revealed yesterday he spoke with Czech national team coach Alois Hadamczik recently and that, barring injury, he will play for his homeland at the Olympics.

Previously, Hasek had stated he would only go to Italy as the Czechs' No. 1 goalie or backup, and that if Hadamczik saw him as No. 3 on the depth chart, he should Turin to a younger man.

http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Hockey/NHL/Ottawa/2005/12/20/1361268-sun.html

What a large ego he has. :rolleyes:

RangersFan88*

Claypool said:
What a large ego he has. :rolleyes:

^^ well if i would have won 6 vezinas i'd beat the crap out of the coach if he'll let me sit in the stand and watch ;)

SammyTheBull

Dec 1, 2005
Mackattack said:
Vokoun is the better goalie.

While Hasek has had a good year (better than I expected)... all due respect he really hasn't had to steal a game for them all season. Plus, hes 40 years old... you have to hand over the reigns to the guy who's going to be there for probably 2 more Olympics.

With all due respect you must have your eyes closed when/if you are watching a Sens game.

SwisshockeyAcademy

Dec 11, 2002
Visit site
There are 5 round robin games. They can split them to a degree then go with the hot hand. Nobody is going to push Hasek and Vokoun, the Czech #3 keeper - whoever it is - will be in the stands.

Transported Upstater

As good as Vokoun is, there is no way I wouldn't start Hasek if I was the Czechs.

The second best team in this tourney after Canada IMO.

wildone26*

It will be hard to demote Vokoun to backup, he has matured into one of the elite goalies in the NHL, and was the best goalie at the World Championships, outdueling Broduer who was then considered the goalie to beat in the World, in the gold medal game. However Hasek is the best goalie of all time, I cant see him not getting the start now that he is back on his game. If Hasek has a bad game though, I see Vokoun getting the chance. It will probably be Hasek's to lose though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad