A very interesting CBA quasi-loophole

Status
Not open for further replies.

SlavaKozlov

Feb 16, 2003
Akron, OH
Visit site
The Red Wings are also doing this with Jimmy Howard, since Legace is hurt, Howard is dressing to back up Osgood and then being sent back to Grand Rapids to actually play.

NewGuy

Jun 29, 2002
I'd be interested on how this affects the long term relationship between the player and the team, especially those players on two-way contracts. The difference in salary between being on the NHL roster and being on the AHL roster could leave some a bit sour.

kdb209

Jan 26, 2005
Buffaloed said:
On what basis could a grievance be filed?

Circumvention of contract terms and violation of spirit and intent of the CBA.

Just think what would happen, if say these players weren't fring players, but young stars with few enough games played to be exempt from waivers. Theoretically Pittsburgh could do the same with Crosby (and Washington AO). The result would be they could play all 82 games and only receive 42% of agreed upon salary - regular season (Oct 5 - Apr 17) is 195 days.

AdmiralPred

Jun 9, 2005
kdb209 said:

Just think what would happen, if say these players weren't fring players, but young stars with few enough games played to be exempt from waivers. Theoretically Pittsburgh could do the same with Crosby (and Washington AO). The result would be they could play all 82 games and only receive 42% of agreed upon salary - regular season (Oct 5 - Apr 17) is 195 days.
Even if players do not have 2-ways?

kdb209

Jan 26, 2005
AdmiralPred said:
Even if players do not have 2-ways?

All ELS Contracts, and virtually every contract of a player who is still exempt from waivers, is a two-way deal.

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
kdb209 said:

What specific contract terms are they violating? Spirit and intent has been basis of many failed grievances by the NHL (Van Ryn rule, Owen Nolan's lockout clause, Joe Thornton's rookie signing bonus). The NHLPA needs to show something in violation of the CBA.

It isn't going to happen because it's not in the team's self-interest to alienate its fans and a future star player. Hypothetical events aren't grievable. Fringe players have to improve so they're no longer fringe players to get better treatment.

Captain Ron

Jun 9, 2003
Gardnerville, NV
Visit site
I really do not see this "loophole" being abused as much as some are hypothesizing. It seems that right now it is only being utilized by GM's that put their team so close to the cap that they have no other choice than to call up/send down players on a regular basis just to prevent their team from going over the cap limits.

I foresaw a situation like this occuring when teams like Atlanta and Vancouver put their payrolls so close to the cap. Minor injuries can/will be the downfall of some of these GM's. If their "loophole" strategy does not end up working in the end they will not have the opportunity to try it again in future seasons....in other words they will be fired for their incompetence.:shakehead

MountainHawk

Sep 29, 2005
Salem, MA
The most reasonable way to close this loophole seems to me to be than if a guy plays in an NHL game, he gets an NHL salary for that day, and every day after it until the next game day.

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
MountainHawk said:
The most reasonable way to close this loophole seems to me to be than if a guy plays in an NHL game, he gets an NHL salary for that day, and every day after it until the next game day.

They could make it something like a minimum 3 days NHL pay when a guy is called up. If the NHLPA wants that, they'd have to give something in return. I don't think they care.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->