A Valid Ovechkin Comparison

Status
Not open for further replies.

Captain Conservative

Apr 1, 2004
My Blue Heaven
I know some people are banging their heads over the Lemieux/Ovechkin comparisons, so I figured I'd offer up who I think Ovechkin could be as good as one day. Jarome Iginla. Look at the scouting reports. Both are extremely fast wingers, love to hit, and are powerful skaters with a wicked arsenal of shots. Can anyone who has seen Ovechkin play comment on this similarities/dissimilarities of Iginla and Ovechkin?

I'm just trying to get a sense of what kind of talent we are drafting.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
I still think he's more like Kovalchuk. Iginla usually comes down the right side, while a lot of Ovechkin's goals come from the off wing.

Ovechkin is a better passer than Iginla, although he probably doesn't have Iginla's slapshot-in-flight.

EroCaps

Aug 24, 2003
Virginia
Captain Conservative said:
I know some people are banging their heads over the Lemieux/Ovechkin comparisons, so I figured I'd offer up who I think Ovechkin could be as good as one day. Jarome Iginla. Look at the scouting reports. Both are extremely fast wingers, love to hit, and are powerful skaters with a wicked arsenal of shots. Can anyone who has seen Ovechkin play comment on this similarities/dissimilarities of Iginla and Ovechkin?

Ovechkin has everything Iginla has minus an established physical presence at the NHL level, plus better skating and passing, and I'm tempted to say a better wrist shot (Sakic, and uncanny have been used by scouts to describe it), but after watching Iginla this postseason, I'll have to wait on that.

Ajacied

Stay strong Appie! ❤
Apr 6, 2002
Netherlands
Actually, from what I know about him, Ovechkin seems like a young Mike Modano. Mike is an original winger (LW) and played so during his first few years in the league. Both have around the same size (6'3), and both their offensive game is based on tremendous speed and an impressive skillset. Mike's strongest assets have always been the ability to control the puck no matter what, it was especially noticeable at full speed, another strong part is his accurate and rather deadly wristshot.. That, and he developed into a two-way powerhouse, the potential Ovechkin also seems to have from what I've read about him. Modano isn't/wasn't soft either, in fact, he enjoyed stretches of which he was actually a physical force, though this decreased over the years.

Mike Modano has changed quite a lot though, so I don't expect this comparison to be made that much, but if he never were to play center and if Hitchcock never coached him, he could've been the player they would compare Ovechkin with.

Last edited:

KM

Feb 6, 2004
Modano = Dud said:
Modano isn't/wasn't soft either, in fact, he enjoyed stretches of which he was actually a physical force, though this decreased over the years.

:shakehead How many of his games where he was a physical force have you seen him play?

Ajacied

Stay strong Appie! ❤
Apr 6, 2002
Netherlands
KM said:
:shakehead How many of his games where he was a physical force have you seen him play?

Mike Modano enjoyed physical stretches. But for some reason he never used his body consistantly enough to be called physical. In the playoffs for example, Mike plays with a lot more grit, and he often gets mad during a game, he then hits everything in sight, often losing his control. He by no means is a powerforward or anything, but Mike can play a physical game.

moosefan

Feb 27, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Captain Conservative said:

I have seen Ovechkin play, and the Beckett mag is right he plays like Forsberg. I don't think the Iginla comparisson is bang on myself.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
I think the Kovalchuk comparison is spot on, mainly because alot of people undervalue the total package Kovalchuk brings to the table:

1) He's big
2) He's a great skater
3) He's physical
4) He's chippy
5) Flair to spare
6) Excellent arsenal of shots
7) Nice playmaking ability
8) Passion for the game

From what I can tell that description fits Ovechkin to a tee, although he goes about his business in a slightly more subdued manner.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
KM said:

Plenty. Modano doesn't kill people, but he'll play the body and fight through crap to make a play. People tend to forget that although he's a "finesse" player, Modano has considerable size and strength and isn't afraid to use it.

Last edited:

Steve Latin*

EroCaps said:
Ovechkin has everything Iginla has minus an established physical presence at the NHL level, plus better skating and passing, and I'm tempted to say a better wrist shot (Sakic, and uncanny have been used by scouts to describe it), but after watching Iginla this postseason, I'll have to wait on that.

Ovechkin on par, if not better than Iginla *now*? wank, wank, wank.

S L

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Steve Latin said:

S L

I can't stand when people make statements like that. An unproven prospect (albeit a highly touted one) is superior to one of the top five players in the game? :shakehead :snide:

Beukeboom Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Chicago, IL
Visit site
Rabid Ranger said:
I can't stand when people make statements like that. An unproven prospect (albeit a highly touted one) is superior to one of the top five players in the game? :shakehead :snide:

I think you missed the sarcasm in SL's post. To be fair, the original poster did specify that AO's could play like JI "some day". This isn't one of the threads that "he who shall not be named" stated that AO is a top 3 player in the NHL right now.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Beukeboom Fan said:
I think you missed the sarcasm in SL's post. To be fair, the original poster did specify that AO's could play like JI "some day". This isn't one of the threads that "he who shall not be named" stated that AO is a top 3 player in the NHL right now.

No, I got the sarcasm. I was agreeing with him. I was making my statement in response to the post he was responding to if that makes sense.

leafaholix*

Rabid Ranger said:
I think the Kovalchuk comparison is spot on, mainly because alot of people undervalue the total package Kovalchuk brings to the table:

1) He's big
2) He's a great skater
3) He's physical
4) He's chippy
5) Flair to spare
6) Excellent arsenal of shots
7) Nice playmaking ability
8) Passion for the game

From what I can tell that description fits Ovechkin to a tee, although he goes about his business in a slightly more subdued manner.
Ovechkin's not a floater... he also plays a physical game.

Offensively, he's as talented as Kovalchuk.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Leafaholix said:
Ovechkin's not a floater... he also plays a physical game.

Offensively, he's as talented as Kovalchuk.

Personally I don't think Kovalchuk is a floater, and he also plays a physical game.

leafaholix*

Rabid Ranger said:
Personally I don't think Kovalchuk is a floater, and he also plays a physical game.
Ovechkin models his game after Owen Nolan.

He plays physical all the time and plays defense, something Kovalchuk does not do.

EroCaps

Aug 24, 2003
Virginia
Steve Latin said:

S L

Pardon, I meant has in terms of potential. I usually use that context. No one would take Ovechkin over a Kovalchuck or Iginla at this stage.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Leafaholix said:

He plays physical all the time and plays defense, something Kovalchuk does not do.

If you say so. I don't think Ovechkin's as polished as you're making him out to be, but whatever.

Ajacied

Stay strong Appie! ❤
Apr 6, 2002
Netherlands
Leafaholix said:

No, Ovechkin used to be a huge fan of San Jose, because of Owen Nolan. I've never heard him saying that he models himself after him.

EroCaps

Aug 24, 2003
Virginia
Rabid Ranger said:
If you say so. I don't think Ovechkin's as polished as you're making him out to be, but whatever.

Ovechkin may not be a Selke candidate, but physically speaking his game is always aggressive, and he plays defense, is coachable, etc. McPhee said he has never seen an 18 year old play as well as Ovy did for Russia last month, and coming from McPhee, that's something. Unless he's hyping the kid up for a trade. :(

ChemiseBleuHonnete

Oct 28, 2002
Modano = Dud said:
No, Ovechkin used to be a huge fan of San Jose, because of Owen Nolan. I've never heard him saying that he models himself after him.

He didn't said that but, he meant it when he was talking of his style...

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
EroCaps said:
Ovechkin may not be a Selke candidate, but physically speaking his game is always aggressive, and he plays defense, is coachable, etc. McPhee said he has never seen an 18 year old play as well as Ovy did for Russia last month, and coming from McPhee, that's something. Unless he's hyping the kid up for a trade. :(

That's great. I just don't think he's the hockey world's version of the emperor or whoever that was from GI-Joe who was a composite of all the great military leaders from history.

Last edited:

EroCaps

Aug 24, 2003
Virginia
ax²+bx+c said:
He didn't said that but, he meant it when he was talking of his style...

At the time, he was a kid who liked the Sharks for their jerseys, and Owen Nolan was probably the best model available. They do have similar games though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->