News Article: A third of the way through their season, the Winnipeg Jets get their report cards

Robinson2187

Registered Schmoozer
Nov 22, 2015
Comox BC
Jets A-

Maurice D+

jpfHDHW.gif
LMAO....Mo looks like he's having a flashback

Reactions: tntkid

Neuf

Leaving HFBoards for now
Dec 17, 2016
I never noticed that til you pointed it out:laugh:

Wheels with the dramatic "WHOA" also. Does anyone remember the situation referencing this GIF? It's very amusing.
Ehlers own goal in overtime in the 16/17 season, iirx

Edit nope not OT, so not that one

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
A third of the way through their season, the Winnipeg Jets...

Summary of grades given to the Jets players so far this season by the Athletic:

Scheifele: A+
Morrissey: A+
Laine: A+
Connor: A
Buff: A
Trouba: A
Wheeler: A
Brossoit: A
Ehlers: B+
Perreault: B+
Lowry: B+
Copp: B+
Petan: B
Tanev: C+
Roslovic: C+
Chiarot: C+
Little: C+
Helle: C
Myers: C
Morrow: C
Lemieux: C
Kulikov: C

I might bump some guys up or down half a grade or so but mostly agree with this. The only rating that was jarring was Little's C+. The article justified that rating by citing his mediocre shot metrics but I feel there should be an asterix next to Bryan Little's Corsi due to the fact that he spends most of his time on ice with Laine.

If Morrow, Myers and Lemieux get C's then the true range of these grades is not from A-F. What would a player have to do to get a D, much less an F?

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
If Morrow, Myers and Lemieux get C's then the true range of these grades is not from A-F. What would a player have to do to get a D, much less an F?

I'd think they would probably play at a level much lower than their ability.

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
So guys like Slater and Thorburn would still get C's? If they played to whatever ability they have left? OK.

Sure -
Are you going to flunk all the less talented players despite the fact that they played up to their talent level?
I'm not clear on what you mean by "ability they have left" or what that has to do with my comments.

But just in case I wasn't clear on where I'm coming from -
Give the guy a rank they represents what they are capable of and if they are giving the team 100% of what they have to offer.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Sure -
Are you going to flunk all the less talented players despite the fact that they played up to their talent level?
I'm not clear on what you mean by "ability they have left" or what that has to do with my comments.

But just in case I wasn't clear on where I'm coming from -
Give the guy a rank they represents what they are capable of and if they are giving the team 100% of what they have to offer.

My point was that you are advocating giving grades of C and above to players who have no business in the NHL simply because they are doing their inadequate best. Would you give good grades to Joe Beerleague too if he was on the Jets roster?

These ratings then become nothing but ratings of effort. 'He's no good but he tries hard'. Like participation trophies.

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
My point was that you are advocating giving grades of C and above to players who have no business in the NHL simply because they are doing their inadequate best. Would you give good grades to Joe Beerleague too if he was on the Jets roster?

These ratings then become nothing but ratings of effort. 'He's no good but he tries hard'. Like participation trophies.

My point did not consider or debate whether a player may or may not deserve to be on the team.
But for the sake of discussion, if there are players on the team that do not belong there, they would likely be ranked low.
Better yet, maybe the ranking process needs to qualified first by removing players that do not belong in the NHL???

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
My point did not consider or debate whether a player may or may not deserve to be on the team.
But for the sake of discussion, if there are players on the team that do not belong there, they would likely be ranked low.
Better yet, maybe the ranking process needs to qualified first by removing players that do not belong in the NHL???

You are still rating players according to your expectations for them rather than according to performance in the role they are given.

Take Roslovic, put him at 1st line C. I doubt he gets a rating higher than a D.

If you rate 20 players and the lowest grade is a C then you are not rating them on a scale of A-F. You are rating them on a scale of A-C where C is the lowest grade you can get. There were some poor performances rated in that list and they got C's.

Reactions: probablywrongbut

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
I'd rank them high and leave it to management to see that this is not an NHLer. If joe beer league is giving 100% he gets an A+ in his less than 2 seconds in the NHL. Sort of like Petan. Petan to me deserves a b+ -A. As I have zero expectations of him and he's definitely exceeded that.

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
You are still rating players according to your expectations for them rather than according to performance in the role they are given.

Take Roslovic, put him at 1st line C. I doubt he gets a rating higher than a D.

If you rate 20 players and the lowest grade is a C then you are not rating them on a scale of A-F. You are rating them on a scale of A-C where C is the lowest grade you can get. There were some poor performances rated in that list and they got C's.

I'm rating them based on exactly what you are stating - "according to performance in the role they are given".
If they are a 4th line center, they will be ranked as a 4th line center - expectations for your 1st line center would be higher and they would be graded based on the higher expectations.

I am not rating them on a scale of A to C. I'm simply agreeing with the A to C ranking. I'd assume there are others like yourself that don't agree but that's not what was being discussed - was it?

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I'm rating them based on exactly what you are stating - "according to performance in the role they are given".
If they are a 4th line center, they will be ranked as a 4th line center - expectations for your 1st line center would be higher and they would be graded based on the higher expectations.

I am not rating them on a scale of A to C. I'm simply agreeing with the A to C ranking. I'd assume there are others like yourself that don't agree but that's not what was being discussed - was it?

So you don't think any Jet is worse than avg for the role he is in? Chiarot is an avg NHL 2nd pair Dman? So he really belongs on the 2nd pair for most NHL teams?

If you rate 20 people - at anything - and the range of ratings runs from A-C then those are the limits of your range. It is like those employee performance ratings from 1-5, but no one ever gets either 1 or 5 so the real range is 2-4 and all the employees know it.

At any rate, this has turned into a pointless argument about semantics. I suggest we agree to disagree.

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
So you don't think any Jet is worse than avg for the role he is in? Chiarot is an avg NHL 2nd pair Dman? So he really belongs on the 2nd pair for most NHL teams?

If you rate 20 people - at anything - and the range of ratings runs from A-C then those are the limits of your range. It is like those employee performance ratings from 1-5, but no one ever gets either 1 or 5 so the real range is 2-4 and all the employees know it.

At any rate, this has turned into a pointless argument about semantics. I suggest we agree to disagree.

That's pretty extreme. You should moderately agree to moderately disagree. :nod:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad