A Tale of Two Management Groups Last Night..

Drytoast

Sep 27, 2017
Try and imagine the Leafs past without Gilmour and Sundin. The only Leafs real success had was by Cliff bringing in 2 elite #1C and captains that resulted in multiple final 4 appearances by each.

I think I'd rather just talk about the Leafs past, versus the Leafs present...rather than debating the merits of a gm of the 90's because people don't like the label I gave him. You are allowed to hold him in high regards, I don't have too.

MJ65

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
Does Fletcher not get credit for Sundin as that was his trade?

I believe Gilmour's trade was the most lopsided trade in the history of Maple Leafs and Calgary was literally robbed

I know this is a bit off topic but 1989 was the worst draft for the Leafs where they drafted /picked Thornton (3rd OA), Pearson (12th OA) and Bencroft (21st OA) in 1st round - what a waste that was

Last edited:
Reactions: BVG

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
He took our one advantage over every other team in the league (lots and lots of money) and spent it on key positions not effected by the salary cap.

We should ALWAYS have the top scouts money can buy in this league as well as coaching staff/GM because of this.

I just hope this philosophy sticks from now on.

that's the thing. like Shanahan pumped in so much money into audits in how we draft, getting up with the times and have the very best. created this virtual compound. we should have the best everything.

Reactions: BVG

Drytoast

Sep 27, 2017
that's the thing. like Shanahan pumped in so much money into audits in how we draft, getting up with the times and have the very best. created this virtual compound. we should have the best everything.

Everything falls from the top down! Shannahan knows this as was shown in Detroit.

You have the top scouts/GM...you will eventually have the best players. And if you spend the money, the best coaching staff to coach them.

Life is REALLY good right now!

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
The key to the Shanahan management group is that they rebuilt the front office right down to the lower levels of the organization. They hired new sports-science guys, new analytics analysts, new scouts, new player development staff. They didn't just rely on changing 1-2 senior folks and expect th the nature organization to improve.

The CyNick

Freedom of Speech!
Sep 17, 2009
Yeah but not with this management group. That was the entire point. Ours with their goalie addition vs the Jets management group with their goalie choice. What does it matter what Burke and Nonis did years ago when the Jets were the Atlanta Thrashers? Brian Burke could not find a good starting goalie if his life depended on it.

All organizations make bad decisions, that's the better point.

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008

In the pursuit of Nikita Zaitsev, free-agent defenceman, a little-known scout named Jim Paliafito played the part of successful starting pitcher.

He worked the first several innings, did all the necessary diligence on Zaitsev, before Brendan Shanahan and Lou Lamoriello came out of the Toronto Maple Leafs’ front-office bullpen and closed the deal at a Moscow restaurant.

“Imagine you’re Nikita, and you’re out to dinner with your parents and with Jim to talk about the Leafs. And then who walks in to the restaurant: Lou and Brendan? Think of what that feels like. A Hall of Fame general manager and a Hall of Fame player. And they’ve come to see you. I think at that point it was like, deal done,” said Zaitsev’s agent, Dan Milstein.

“I represent a lot of Russian players, and here’s what I tell the GMs I deal with: If you want my player, you have to jump on a plane, you have to make your pitch in person. Because that’s what Lou Lamoriello does.”

The chase of the European free agent all starts from the Maple Leaf end with Paliafito, the Leafs’ Director of Player Evaluation, his name one that is rarely mentioned in hockey circles. His job is to watch available players, find out about them, track them, engage them, do research on them, and meet them, their families and their agents. And then do it all again.

“Jimmy played a huge role in Nikita signing in Toronto,” said Milstein, who took over from Zaitsev’s original agent, Mike Liut. “Jimmy found him, identified him, kept in touch with him regularly.”

“He did everything for me,” said Zaitsev. “He did a huge job to bring me here. He’s an unbelievable guy.”

cupcrazyman

Stupid Sexy Flanders
Aug 14, 2006
Leafland
Scotty Bowman has coached Allstar teams. Look at the rosters. I know it's not considered good to say anything negative about him, but wow. He can't miss with that talent he's had on the Habs/Pens and Wings.

He also took the expansion St Louis Blues to 3 straight SC Finals.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad