A tale of two leagues.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jun 27, 2005
Some people aren't going to like this but I think it's a pretty good idea. It's not all new but within the context of the rumoured CBA it gets interesting.

There are some people that think the rumoured CBA is too restrictive and there is already lots of talk of players leaving because salaries are too low. Others want the league to contract to just the large wealthy markets to keep the best players around.

Is there a CBA that has as its objectives all the best players staying and 30 viable teams. Well here goes.

Using the Forbes numbers http://www.andrewsstarspage.com/CBA/8-1-04cba.htm and adjusting them for only 1.8B in revenues and then taking 54%, the top 15 teams equals $585M and the bottom 15 teams is $386M. That averages to about $39M and $26M. The rumoured CBA for all the teams has an average of $32.5M a cap at $37M and a floor at $24M. We now spilt the league into two separate leagues. The premiere league has a minimum payroll of about $35M and a max of around $50M and the second tier league has a range of $30M to $18M.

Now the same money is being spent give or take but I think what would happen is that the premiere league would be able to spend more than 54% as its easier for them to cover costs, so this is just the minimum. They could probably get a cap closer to $60M etc.

Any team that is willing to spend up to the premiere leagues floor of $35M is allowed to join the premiere league.

UFA's go to the highest bidder no matter what league.

The premiere league probably wouldn't have entry level restrictions and minimums or at least they would be much higher and the second tiers would be lower.

The draft and free agency would probably have to be adjusted. Could Crosby play in the second tier? Maybe, at least until UFA.

There are a bajillion other issues.

I know, I know, there are tons of issues with being a team in the second tier. But I repeat, any team that is willing to pay the premiere league minimum is welcome into the premiere league and if they can't well ......

I'm gonna get flamed pretty bad but if you really think about it, an idea like this satisfies all the objectives.

Flame away.

Last edited:

ryz

Dec 24, 2004
Canada
666 said:
There are some people that think the rumoured CBA is too restrictive and there is already lots of talk of players leaving because salaries are too low. Others want the league to contract to just the large wealthy markets to keep the best players around.
The only talks of ANY of this is by PA shills like yourself. Get a grip. 95% of the best players in the world will play in the NHL, same as it's always been.

As for the 2 league concept, what do you want? 1 leage with the 6 big spenders and another with the remaining 24 teams? Stupid. I bet most of the players would want to play in the 24 team league anyway.

You PA types are going from "out in left field" to humorous! :dunno:

edit: Sorry to rag on you like that 666, it's nothing personal, but after your "Why the CBA won't be ratified" thread you are kinda hard to take seriously.

Last edited:

Resolute

Mar 4, 2005
AB
I'm sorry 666, but you will simply have to suck it up and accept that your team has to live under the same restraints the rest of the league does. If your team cant handle life without it's huge financial advantage and ends up sucking, you have nobody to blame but your team's incompetent management.

Vic Rattlehead*

666 said:
I'm gonna get flamed pretty bad but if you really think about it, an idea like this satisfies all the objectives.

Flame away.

Only in your PA fantasy world. I'm sorry, but you are probably the only person in the world that would think of something like that.

Jun 27, 2005
ryz said:
The only talks of ANY of this is by PA shills like yourself. Get a grip. 95% of the best players in the world will play in the NHL, same as it's always been.

As for the 2 league concept, what do you want? 1 leage with the 6 big spenders and another with the remaining 24 teams? Stupid. I bet most of the players would want to play in the 24 team league anyway.

You PA types are going from "out in left field" to humorous! :dunno:

edit: Sorry to rag on you like that 666, it's nothing personal, but after your "Why the CBA won't be ratified" thread you are kinda hard to take seriously.

No problem man. We're all frustrated by this. Just frustrated for different reasons.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad