A Suggestion From Yvon Pedneault

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rocket#9

Apr 23, 2004
I was listening to Sport30 and Yvon Pedneault made the suggestion that instead of cancelling the season late January, the NHL and the PA should take all the time they need solve this and by, hopefully, middle of march it could be.

Afterward, the NHL could organize a huge tournament with every single team while giving a bye to Calgary and Tampa as cup finalist or to the best 2 teams of a mini season

What do you think? Sounds pretty fun but does it really make sense(provided that they actually pay the players something for the playoffs this year)?

I in the Eye

Drop a ball it falls
Dec 14, 2002
Rocket#9 said:
I was listening to Sport30 and Yvon Pedneault made the suggestion that instead of cancelling the season late January, the NHL and the PA should take all the time they need solve this and by, hopefully, middle of march it could be.

Afterward, the NHL could organize a huge tournament with every single team while giving a bye to Calgary and Tampa as cup finalist or to the best 2 teams of a mini season

What do you think? Sounds pretty fun but does it really make sense(provided that they actually pay the players something for the playoffs this year)?

IMO, better than the potential for absolutely no hockey for the entire year, but I wouldn't want the Stanley Cup to be the reward after the tournament... Perhaps another trophy (the Stanleys Cup?)...

amazingcrwns

drop the puck
Feb 13, 2003
Western MA
Visit site
I brought up an idea similar to this on the bruins board a while back. My thought was based on a 28 game season though.

Play a 28 game regular season (each team in your conference once at home and once on the road)

The winner of each conference get's a bye in the first round, the other 28 teams play a best of 5 first series followed by the standard playoffs.

At the very least this can help set up the draft positions for the upcoming draft.

I didn't get any real response on the Bruins board but would like to get some feedback here. Is a 28 game race for the conference title then the stanley cup playoffs enough?

PecaFan

Nov 16, 2002
Ottawa (Go 'Nucks)
Yes, it's enough to determine a bye. It's a hell of a lot better than playing about the same number of games, then eliminating *seven* teams from playoffs altogether. It only affects seeding, this way.

I've been thinking the same thing myself, why have a season at all? Just have a winner take all playoff, with everyone invited.

I'd be wary of letting it decide draft positions though. Far too easy to tank a season, knowing you had a guaranteed spot in the playoffs. I'm still leaning to a weighted lottery system, based on the past five years results, etc.

Coffey77

Mar 12, 2002
Visit site
PecaFan said:
Yes, it's enough to determine a bye. It's a hell of a lot better than playing about the same number of games, then eliminating *seven* teams from playoffs altogether. It only affects seeding, this way.

I've been thinking the same thing myself, why have a season at all? Just have a winner take all playoff, with everyone invited.

I'd be wary of letting it decide draft positions though. Far too easy to tank a season, knowing you had a guaranteed spot in the playoffs. I'm still leaning to a weighted lottery system, based on the past five years results, etc.

That is true that if you include everyone in the playoffs, a team could tank in the season and still do well in that playoffs (but if they do win the cup they become the 30th seed in the draft).

Interesting ideas. Quite radical. I guess I would take that over nothing. I'd prefer the 28 game regular season with a bye for the conference winners and some teams making the playoffs. But I'm so desparate for NHL hockey that I'd take the 30 team playoffs.

GirardIsStupid

Dec 15, 2002
Visit site
personally, i think the NHL and the NHLPA would be desperate enough to consider such radical ideas. indeed, i also think they would ponder playing hockey well into the summer with the next season following a very short off-season (say like one month). after all, everyone's got all the rest they need already.

amazingcrwns

drop the puck
Feb 13, 2003
Western MA
Visit site
FWIW, I figured that the regular season and playoff results would be taken into consideration when the draft order was made up. This way you'd have to tank the season and the playoffs in order to get a better shot at the #1 draft pick. This isn't to say that some teams wouldn't do this, but finishing in last and losing in the first round of the playoffs shouldn't guarentee you the #1 pick either.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->