A Simple Stat That No One Keeps Track Of — Posts Hit

Habsrule

Jun 13, 2004
With all of these fancy stats why is it that no one keeps track of how many times that each player hits the post or crossbar?

Now I am only talking about actual scoring opportunities. Their are many times that a player has an off angle shot and hit the outside of the post. Those I do not count.

An example would be player A and player B both scored 20 goals this season. Both players are UFAs. Player A hit 8 posts while player B hit 15 posts this season. Would this stat not tell you that player B would have a better chance to score more goals than player A but just had more bad luck?

I would be curious to see the results as it seems that certain players tend to hit the post a lot compared to others.

Kane One

Feb 6, 2010
Brooklyn, New NY
My guess is because hitting the post is a miss. If we start counting shots that hit the post, are we eventually going to start counting shots that barely missed the post?

Mugzy97

#StandWitness
Mar 3, 2015
Halifax, NS
My guess is because hitting the post is a miss. If we start counting shots that hit the post, are we eventually going to start counting shots that barely missed the post?
It's a curious question because I think we do keep track of shots, missed shots, shooting %, blocked shots, but not post shots. Maybe someone is keeping track of this somewhere but it would be interested to see. I would guess the guys who lead the league in shots would lead the league in posts hit as well.

abo9

Jun 25, 2017
My guess is because hitting the post is a miss.

As a goalie (though maybe it's more of a confidence/mental booster), that is exactly how I see shots on the post. It is a miss. The shooter could not see a hole, or missed the hole he was aiming for.

On the other side, I would be interesting to see the results, the posts are pretty much as close as you would get to score.

If we start counting shots that hit the post, are we eventually going to start counting shots that barely missed the post?

What if we had the technology to know how far from the net the puck was at every moment? Would not it be interesting to see how far from the net the puck is when crossing the goal line? I see it more useful for dmen maybe, since some dmen have the reputation of shooting wide; we would have numbers to support that. Also if you know a defensman on your team regularly shoots 2 feet left of the goal, I imagine coaches could design strategies around that, players using that info to react more quickly in game. (Idk they probably do stuff like that after watching videos etc. but having solid data is always great)

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
It's worth tracking because one solution to increase scoring is to make the nets slightly larger or angle the posts inward. If they have the data on posts hit then they would have an idea of much scoring would increase.

Reactions: McRpro

stahl

Mar 26, 2011
Laine has hit 10 posts this year. Imagine if half of those went in.

supsens

Oct 6, 2013
Laine has hit 10 posts this year. Imagine if half of those went in.

Seguin is up there also, funny stat Mcginn has 11 goals and has hit the post/crossbar 11 times. Faulk has 7 goals and 7 posts, both play for the hurricanes.
Not sure how they hit the post so often with so few goals.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad