A SERIOUS DEBATE: SCOTT DARLING...??!!

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009
Who's top? Rinne? Holtby? Price?

Of all shots Darling faces, he gives up 71% rebounds, and 10.4% goals. Meaning he freezes the puck at a rate of 18.6%.... Ouch. Varlamov still freezes the puck at a better rate than Darling only gives up more rebounds.

Can you point me to the site these numbers come from? I’d like to take a look at them league wide.

Reactions: Breakdowns

The Stranger

May 4, 2014
Who's top? Rinne? Holtby? Price?

Of all shots Darling faces, he gives up 71% rebounds, and 10.4% goals. Meaning he freezes the puck at a rate of 18.6%.... Ouch. Varlamov still freezes the puck at a better rate than Darling only gives up more rebounds.

Not every controlled stop results in a frozen puck.

The Stranger

May 4, 2014
Can you point me to the site these numbers come from? I’d like to take a look at them league wide.

Notice that he's questioning who the best in the league is...in other words, he doesn't know.

To the best of my knowledge there is not a league wide publicly available data set on goalie rebound control.

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009
Notice that he's questioning who the best in the league is...in other words, he doesn't know.

To the best of my knowledge there is not a league wide publicly available data set on goalie rebound control.

Then where is he getting the specific Darling stats from? And Cam’s for that matter because they are also apparently bad?

The Stranger

May 4, 2014
Then where is he getting the specific Darling stats from? And Cam’s for that matter because they are also apparently bad?

Mike Kelly tweeted the bottom 5 goalies in rebound control...Darling was in the bottom 5. Presumably Kelly has access to a full league-wide data set...it's just not publicly shared.

This is more than likely something that will be published by the league in the future...it may become easier to compile with camera player and puck tracking approaches as opposed to sending film to some group in India and have them watch every single shot and flag the result.

Negan4Coach

Fantastic and Stochastic
Aug 31, 2017
Raleigh, NC
So I know people have mentioned a buyout already...I think that is really premature. What happens if Darling is put on waivers? He clears?

If nothing else. it might be worth it to do that as a shot across his bow. Let him do some conditioning on the Checkers. Maybe he can lose some weight and get his confidence back against AHL guys.

Cardiac Jerks

Asinine & immoral
Jan 13, 2006
Long Sault, Ontario
So I know people have mentioned a buyout already...I think that is really premature. What happens if Darling is put on waivers? He clears?

If nothing else. it might be worth it to do that as a shot across his bow. Let him do some conditioning on the Checkers. Maybe he can lose some weight and get his confidence back against AHL guys.

He would clear, for sure. I’d put my pay check on it.

Sending him down, if he’s already mentally fragile, would probably just make him question himself even more.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad