A Serious Debate: How to fix this team?

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
Last time they had a strong start was 05/06. Even the 08/09 season after winning three of the first four games of the season they had bumps in the road throughout and had to rely on a 9 game winning streak to clinch a playoff spot. Take away about 5-6 of those wins and they probably sit on the outside looking in. That race was tight down the stretch.

I mean, it's great they won the first game of the season because they never do that, but they didn't get any momentum from it.

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
Welcome back, old friend...

39010693341_8a3e47b77e_c.jpg

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
True, but it is what I latch onto about this time every year as a way to hope for the future. The play on the ice, once again, fails in that regard.
Lets be real for a second...

The one time we luck out and actually win that lottery will be the year the next Alexandre Daigle is sitting there as the can't miss uberprospect.

Reactions: Hulkacaniac

StormCast

Jan 26, 2008
Raleigh, NC
It's clear that a veteran D (a la Hainsey) to steady the young guys is a big void. A legit playmaking top line center is also a huge hole. The fact that team assist leader TT is only 51st in the NHL demonstrates goals are too hard to come by. Like Maurice did in his second stint, BP should consider adjusting his system because it's not working. Open things up a little more. Playing tight puck possession still results in multiple breakdowns a game so why not?

Reactions: Hulkacaniac

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009
It's clear that a veteran D (a la Hainsey) to steady the young guys is a big void. A legit playmaking top line center is also a huge hole. The fact that team assist leader TT is only 51st in the NHL demonstrates goals are too hard to come by. Like Maurice did in his second stint, BP should consider adjusting his system because it's not working. Open things up a little more. Playing tight puck possession still results in multiple breakdowns a game so why not?

Agreed on the veteran D and lack of #1 center. In the absence of those things, and the absence of any form of quality goaltending I would argue they need to be trying to win games 2-1, not trying to get in high scoring games. I would also argue that they are f***ed either way unless the goaltending improves so it doesn’t really matter.

StormCast

Jan 26, 2008
Raleigh, NC
Agreed on the veteran D and lack of #1 center. In the absence of those things, and the absence of any form of quality goaltending I would argue they need to be trying to win games 2-1, not trying to get in high scoring games. I would also argue that they are ****ed either way unless the goaltending improves so it doesn’t really matter.
Yes but they seem to be playing too tight. Not suggesting fire wagon style hockey but my sense is by letting up on the reins, they'll get more offense too. As is all too typical, they play too often with a timid, fragile style. Instill a little more confidence. I don't see the net-minding dramatically improving so they have to score more somehow.

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
Agreed on the veteran D and lack of #1 center. In the absence of those things, and the absence of any form of quality goaltending I would argue they need to be trying to win games 2-1, not trying to get in high scoring games. I would also argue that they are ****ed either way unless the goaltending improves so it doesn’t really matter.
The thing is... I feel like the issues with this team are just massive critical flaws. And when I say that I mean, the flaws are so bad at a couple key spots that fixing them could be the difference between being a legitimate contender vs being a serious candidate to win the lottery. For example, if we go out and sign Tavares, get a veteran calming presence for the defense, and find even an above average goalie, it completely changes the outlook of this franchise. It feels like we're both that close and that far away at the same time.

vorbis

bunch of likes
Feb 9, 2013
YTZ
as pessimistic as I am about Darling, I do think a lot of his flaws and derps could be perfumed away with more timely and consistent offensive production, particularly during recent 2nd periods. with a "legit 1C", that would ostensibly be accomplished, changing scenarios in the 2nd and 3rd period, getting the other team to be the one pulling the goalie, and so on.

Reactions: sheriff bart

Chan790

Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Bingy town, NY
Lets be real for a second...

The one time we luck out and actually win that lottery will be the year the next Alexandre Daigle is sitting there as the can't miss uberprospect.

And the best player is a dman this year right?

I figure the one time we luck out and win the lottery, it'll be the year that what we need out of the draft won't be there. So...this year seems like our year in that respect. I don't see anybody who looks like a future 1C or an elite scoring F to lead our offense.

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
I figure the one time we luck out and win the lottery, it'll be the year that what we need out of the draft won't be there. So...this year seems like our year in that respect. I don't see anybody who looks like a future 1C or an elite scoring F to lead our offense.

Yeah, if we won it this year, we could easily trade Dahlin (I wouldn't) to get that future 1C plus more. For example, I bet Edmonton would trade us Draisaitl plus their 1st for him in a heartbeat. If we like Hanifin and Slavin better than Dahlin, I'd offer Edmonton something like this and see if they bite:

Canes: Dahlin, Rask
Edmonton: Draisaitl, PoolParty, 1st

We'd get a high end center, a very good offensive winger prospect, plus whatever is at their draft position, while they would get a 2/3 center on a better contract to go with the $12M man and an elite defender (assuming the kid is what everyone expects).

Lempo

Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
Trading the 1OA? I could see trading down with the pick much easier than the actual player after you've actually dressed him up in your jersey at the Draft.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->