A Serious Debate: How to fix this team?

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
I'm not terribly observant about specific flaws in their game (I've never been as long as I've been watching), but two things that drive me bananas are the long range passes that always get intercepted, and a lack of hustle getting to the puck.

I sometimes wonder if it’s an issue not of hustle, but of the willingness to pay the physical price needed to make the play. The Florida game is fresh on our minds, but overall, this is one of the softest teams in the history of hockey.

I guess to be fair, they're a physically weak team, particularly on the wing. It might not matter if they brought a different mindset to the table.

bluedevil58

Oct 19, 2017
Doesn't help we have a guy that is a 6 ft 4 monster and refuses to play a physical game or go to the net. This guy also wears the C...

bluedevil58

Oct 19, 2017
He leads the team in hits and is a top 40 player in that category league-wide.

That stat is complete BS. I do not recall Staal ever delivering a worth while check. He has the ability to lay people out. All I see are light dinks from him. Over the next 10 games let's see what he does from a checking stand point and re-evaluate.

geehaad

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2006
I got a wild hair a couple of days ago and thought "what if we traded Skinner?". Certainly he has the trade value to bring a big return...possibly that future 1C? By trading him, you wouldn't be subtracting from a defense that, while deep, doesn't lend itself well to be subtracted from.

Only 1.5 years remain on his contract, and his next contract is likely going to make him the highest-paid player by a significant margin. Detracting factors include: isn't the top-line player we would prefer him to be, isn't the leader that you'd like your top-paid player to be, apparently doesn't play the style of game that meshes well with others.

I dunno...just a thought.

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
I got a wild hair a couple of days ago and thought "what if we traded Skinner?". Certainly he has the trade value to bring a big return...possibly that future 1C? By trading him, you wouldn't be subtracting from a defense that, while deep, doesn't lend itself well to be subtracted from.

Only 1.5 years remain on his contract, and his next contract is likely going to make him the highest-paid player by a significant margin. Detracting factors include: isn't the top-line player we would prefer him to be, isn't the leader that you'd like your top-paid player to be, apparently doesn't play the style of game that meshes well with others.

I think at this point we should be open to anything that improves the team. Largely depends on the young center. Did your thoughts go far enough to consider a possible destination or trade?

If Skinner+ could get us Draisaitl or W. Nylander, I’d do it. And maybe those two teams would consider it as they aren’t using either guy as a center. But I also imagine that the plus wouldn’t be small either.

Jun 21, 2016
Latvia

I am sure Skinner would get a huge return back, but I think he is one guy we can`t trade, his goal scoring ability is just what we can`t replace.

AD Skinner

Mar 18, 2009
bubble bath
We have the cap space, the assets to move, and now supposedly some money to work with. There's no reason an attempt can't be made to fix this mess this season. It may be more prudent long term to wait until the offseason but if I was a billionaire wanting to make a statement by buying into a pro sports team I'd want them to have some kind of success sooner rather than later. We are getting to Cleveland browns levels of futility here.

Navin R Slavin

Fifth line center
Jan 1, 2011
Durrm NC
The problem is that we won't have the money to work with until the deal finalizes, which could be a couple of months yet.

To me, the question is whether we're buyers, sellers, or nothing at the deadline. I think it's reasonable to hope that we're close enough to justify buying, especially if we've got new money in the pipeline -- but I suspect that's not how it's going to go down.

Hulkacaniac

You MUST
Jun 4, 2015
NC
I don't really know what people would expect from an owner willing to spend more on payroll. We spend so little because we have so many players on ELCs. The only thing different it lets you do is overspend for a UFA. Ok, but I don't see how that somehow turns the team around. So we sign a JvR, Kane, or Neal this summer. Woohoo? We need a shakeup. RF needs to take a risk for once. The coaching staff needs some change (maybe not firing Peters), how is Rod still a coach? My biggest hope from dundon isn't the upped payroll but that he gets rid the still pervasive cronyism.

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
That also gives you the option of acquiring players with large contracts, or that will need large contracts, via trades for players on ELC's or prospects. Part of the reason of accumulating all these young assets is for us to get young, cheap, talented players. But the other reason is to have assets to make big moves, which might come with big contracts. You can use the money to re-sign a guy like Duchene, O'Reilly, Johansen, Turris, etc. after you trade for them, or absorb a large contract that a player already has, like the current O'Reilly contract.

GindyDraws

I will not disable my Adblock, HF
Mar 13, 2014
Indianapolis
You fix fan apathy by winning. Period. That's the only way to get more people to the damn arena.

Except, even when they had the strong start this season, they had awful attendance.

Seriously, a decade plus after our Stanley Cup win, and nearly a decade since our last playoff run has us in the Jacksonville Jaguars role in the league.

Reactions: Surrounded By Ahos

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad