A Serious Debate: How to fix this team?

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
I have a feeling Buffalo would want more than that for both players. Not opposed to the idea, but I wonder what the counter-offer would be. Not interested in moving Hanifin or Fleury for that package.

I wouldn't move any of our current defensemen for them either. I specifically chose this scenario because they are a team that needs defensemen but may take a futures heavy package to cover that.

True, but that trade doesn't mean we won't.

No, it doesn't. But I don't think it hurts our chances or cripples our future, either. And the payoff if done now could be huge. Reinhart probably at worst is Rask with speed, and if things work out, much better. And Kane can score goals. And he does it by going to the net. And if he and the team are successful, we can sign him.

Primetime8

Oct 10, 2014
Columbia, SC
Everyone wants to make all these moves too early. If this board had their way the Canes would have traded Hanifin (who is looking like a really solid offensive defenseman and is young) + a 1st + a top prospect like Necas for 1.5 years of Duchene.

Edit: That Buffalo trade is alright, though.

Reactions: Surrounded By Ahos

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
No, it doesn't. But I don't think it hurts our chances or cripples our future, either. And the payoff if done now could be huge. Reinhart probably at worst is Rask with speed, and if things work out, much better. And Kane can score goals. And he does it by going to the net. And if he and the team are successful, we can sign him.

It clearly doesn't hurt our chances since we aren't giving up anything from the NHL roster but Rask, who is struggling. How much it hurts/cripples our future is debatable and depends on multiple factors. 1) Where is the Canes 1st round pick. 2) Does Kane re-sign. 3) How does Reinhart develop. As I said, in a worst case scenario, we give up a high 1st round pick, Kane walks, and Reinhart is what he is, a 45 point center which is pretty damaging to our future.

That said, I'm ALL for getting Kane on this team. I'm less sold on Reinhart, but maybe I haven't seen enough of him. Our 1st (unprotected) and Necas are the only prospects / assets I would be against moving.

WreckingCrew

Feb 4, 2015
Everyone wants to make all these moves too early. If this board had their way the Canes would have traded Hanifin (who is looking like a really solid offensive defenseman and is young) + a 1st + a top prospect like Necas for 1.5 years of Duchene.

Edit: That Buffalo trade is alright, though.
Ummm, what? I don't recall seeing ANYONE on this board who was even willing to trade Hanifin ALONE (even when he was having a rough start to the year) for Duchene.

dogbazinho

May 24, 2006
Fairfax, VA
I do not think it will ever be in our interest to trade a younger player for an older one. Not until we are a cap spending team. We have to trade "aging vets" for prospects and under valued players in the hopes we hit a few on the up. And by aging vets I mean Faulk at the ripe old age of 25 or whatever.

dogbazinho

May 24, 2006
Fairfax, VA
I honestly can't remember if I supported trading Hanifin for Duchene. I'd like to think I didn't but sometime I just want change for changes sake. I do feel like I've always pushed for trading Faulk instead of Hanifin even when it will hurt more in the short term and possibly long term. We just need Hanifin to become a star and hopefully get a forward who will be the same. If not hit reset.

JCLA

Feb 23, 2017
I've been, at least inwardly, a hanifin backer. I was in favor of moving Faulk for Duchene rather than Hanifin .. I think

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
So, given where we are, would any of you actually trade our first (plus more if needed) for any of the pieces that are supposedly available out there now to try and stem the tide? About a month ago I was in favor of doing this to get more scoring and really push this year. Now, I'd lean more to the don't waste the high pick we are tracking toward.

So tired of this crap...

Reactions: sheriff bart

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
Supposedly the cap is going up another $3m-$7m next year to be somewhere between $78m and $82m

This is when I am very happy we're about to get a shot of some sweet, sweet billionaire money

Reactions: CandyCanes

dogbazinho

May 24, 2006
Fairfax, VA
I'd only trade our first for a youngish (< 23) player. Those are also the players I'd be targeting in trades. I think we can try to build for the present but only with the future in mind.

Reactions: sheriff bart

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
So, given where we are, would any of you actually trade our first (plus more if needed) for any of the pieces that are supposedly available out there now to try and stem the tide? About a month ago I was in favor of doing this to get more scoring and really push this year. Now, I'd lean more to the don't waste the high pick we are tracking toward.

So tired of this crap...

Technically the value of the 1st is going up for the same reason your willingness to trade it is going down.

IDK, maybe the two mostly cancel each other out when projected higher pick will fetch nicer stuff.

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
No, I wouldn't trade any of these pieces yet, because I don't think throwing new pieces into the mix is likely to save this season, and we don't know what our cash position is yet.

We just have to suffer through yet another losing season. Again. And then see what we've got when the full hand is dealt.

Needs more anger

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
I still don't see how we aren't worse than we are. Our scoring is inconsistent at best. Our goaltending, especially recently, hasn't been spectacular. I still think 3 of our top 4 D haven't been up to their expectations to say the least. Our PK blows. Our PP blows.

I still think getting the D to perform up to or close to their expected level would go a long way to fixing the team, and some of those other areas, as that's obviously the foundation we've built our team around. How to achieve that, I have no clue.

zetajerk

Jan 1, 2015
I'm not terribly observant about specific flaws in their game (I've never been as long as I've been watching), but two things that drive me bananas are the long range passes that always get intercepted, and a lack of hustle getting to the puck.

Hulkacaniac

You MUST
Jun 4, 2015
NC
How do we fix this team?
0001.JPG

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad