Proposal: A ridiculous trade proposal - MTL and EDM

mikeg

Feb 28, 2004
OK, I am just bored and thinking if this is realistic or not.

So, let's say Montreal through luck and a continuin downward spiral ends up with the 1st overall pick.
And let's say Edmonton ends up with the 5th overall pick.

Would you, if you were Edmonton and if you were Montreal do the following:

Mtl trades 1st pick in 2018 and Max Pacioretty
Edm trades 1st pick in 2018 and 2019 and RNH

Montreal acquires a center they need, not the 1C but a very good 2C who on this team is a easily a 1C, along with 2 picks to begin their "re-tool".

Edmonton gets to bring in a generational defender to go with their generational 1C. Along with 1 year of a solid winger to play alongside him.

Is this a fair trade? Is anyone over/underpaying here?

Reactions: OldManGroin

PriceIsGod

Carey Please :)
Jul 15, 2012
You know...
Lol Montreal passes. Just draft Dahlin and trade Pacioretty separately. The only chance you'd have at taking the first overall from Montreal (if they somehow got it) would be a legit #1 center and even then I doubt they do it (obviously it depends on exactly who as it depends on age, contract, etc.)

Reactions: BLNY

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus

So, let's say Montreal through luck and a continuin downward spiral ends up with the 1st overall pick.

Montreal acquires a center they need, not the 1C but a very good 2C who on this team is a easily a 1C, along with 2 picks to begin their "re-tool".

Edmonton gets to bring in a generational defender to go with their generational 1C. Along with 1 year of a solid winger to play alongside him.

easy no for the oilers
1sts are somewhat a wash but another first and Nuge.

So the oilers trade nuge and a first for 1 year of Patches? Too much. Oiler fans can disagree with me--but Nuge has shown this year--before getting injured he is better then some gave him credit for. Before getting injured he had 33 pts in 47 games

Reactions: TrentonF

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
would be a no brainer if MTL wins 1st overall..
a lot closer if MTL pick is 2nd\3rd overall and Oilers are picking 7th\8th.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
easy no for the oilers

So the oilers trade nuge and a first for 1 year of Patches? Too much. Oiler fans can disagree with me--but Nuge has shown this year--before getting injured he is better then some gave him credit for. Before getting injured he had 33 pts in 47 games
There is no way Dahlin and any other 1st is a wash.
Thats like saying getting McEichel and 5th overall was a wash. Dahlin is a clear tier or 2 above anyone else in the draft.

This is only a discussion if MTL has the 2ndoverall or lower pick. No one is trading Dahlin

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
So Edmonton gets a player who is a 30 year old free agent next season and gives up an extra 1st?

Reactions: TrentonF

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012
No thanks.
Its basically 1st overall + Patch for 5th overall + late first + RNH

Lets say Patch = RNH

That leaves 1st overall for 5th overall + late first, which is a no.

Reactions: HowYaDrouin

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax

NO . We been over and over Pac to Edmonton and he is a soon to be a UFA and we aren't giving up RNH for a player that may price himself out of Edmonton . Edmonton and Montreal draft picks are close this year so pretty much a wash . Then we are adding next year first which makes no sense . We are going to need those ELC to be able to ice a competitive team

Only way I do this deal is if Lucic is included

LongWayDown37

Mar 8, 2006
Montreal doesn't even do this deal if Patches isn't in it. If anything it starts with Drai instead of RNH and even then they're not passing on Dahlin.

Brock Radunske

안양종합운동장 빙상장
Aug 8, 2012

That seems really bad for Montreal...

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
easy no for the oilers

Really? Well if Edmonton win the lottery, we will gladly trade our 1st for yours. It’s a wash, after all.

So Edmonton gets a player who is a 30 year old free agent next season and gives up an extra 1st?

Edmonton gets Dahlin. It would would probably take that package (RNH, 5th overall + 1st next year) just for the Habs to consider it.

Reactions: Deam78

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
Montreal doesn't even do this deal if Patches isn't in it. If anything it starts with Drai instead of RNH and even then they're not passing on Dahlin.

Exactly. What could be fair value is:

Pacioretty
#1 (Dahlin)
Byron

For

Draisaitl
5th overall
Klefbom

PriceIsGod

Carey Please :)
Jul 15, 2012
You know...
easy no for the oilers

ICONIC STATEMENT. LMFAO
Please tell me McDavid and anyone else drafed after Hanafin (including Hanafin) in McDavid's draft year is somewhat a wash.

Last edited:

Dirty Dog

Wooftastic
Sponsor
Jul 11, 2013
The doghouse
What’s with the comments saying the first overall this year and the fifth are a wash?

Mcdavid of hanifan? Really a wash in the caliber of prospects

BatVader

"nothing is true; everything is permitted"
May 16, 2015
Imperial Gotham
Zero interest in RNH.
Zero... as in absolutely none.
If the Habs are moving the 1OA, aka Rasmus Dahlin, to Edmonton, then Draisaitl is involved.
RNH is an over rated and over payed non-starter.

But...Marc Bergevin.... so anything is possible.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->