Value of: A RHD to Oilers

bauer

I MISS GHOST
Nov 11, 2007
I’d be up for something around Gudas and Bennett.

Edit: read that as RHD to Flames for some reason. Late night, same province anyway.

Nevertheless you can still have Gudas.

Last edited:

pmwlker

Apr 13, 2018
I’d be up for something around Gudas and Bennett.

I would too but I don’t think Gudas fits the description of what the Oilers need. They’d be more interested in Sanheim or Myers I’d imagine. I’m not dealing either

JetsHomer

Nov 29, 2011
The obessesion of some Jets fans to downgrade their Stanley Cup contending team for picks and prospects they don’t need is stunning to me. Just mind boggling idiocy

Reactions: BHD and Snowman

McVirginOil

Jun 30, 2014
I would too but I don’t think Gudas fits the description of what the Oilers need. They’d be more interested in Sanheim or Myers I’d imagine. I’m not dealing either
I like Gudas in that he’s a very good puck mover at 5v5, shot suppressor, and shot generator when he’s on the ice, what would be his cost though?

I know Oilers fans are so enthralled with PP quarter back that they’ll say no, but getting a player thats a good puck mover 5v5 AND a PPQB is a significant cost. I don’t think a PPQB is that important because:
1. 10% of the game is played on the man advantage.
2. Oilers PP has been good without the need of a RHD as the PPQB.
3. The rise of Ethan Bear is still a good internal solution and I don’t want to pay the cost of an arm and leg for someone who’s just good at the PP.

So yea, Gudas is intriguing (to me at least).

Reactions: pmwlker

pmwlker

Apr 13, 2018
I like Gudas in that he’s a very good puck mover at 5v5, shot suppressor, and shot generator when he’s on the ice, what would be his cost though?

I know Oilers fans are so enthralled with PP quarter back that they’ll say no, but getting a player thats a good puck mover 5v5 AND a PPQB is a significant cost. I don’t think a PPQB is that important because:
1. 10% of the game is played on the man advantage.
2. Oilers PP has been good without the need of a RHD as the PPQB.
3. The rise of Ethan Bear is still a good internal solution and I don’t want to pay the cost of an arm and leg for someone who’s just good at the PP.

So yea, Gudas is intriguing (to me at least).

Moving Gudas would free up a slot for one of the youngsters but also weaken our right side as he is currently our only experienced righty. I’d be hesitant to move him UNTIL we know what we have in Myers.

Provorov/Ghost
Sanheim/Myers
Morin / Friedman/Hagg

That could be what we end up with in the near future. Time will tell. It’s also assumed one of our firsts this year assuming we get the StLouis pick will go to a defender. Preferably one of the righties

Reactions: McVirginOil

McVirginOil

Jun 30, 2014
Moving Gudas would free up a slot for one of the youngsters but also weaken our right side as he is currently our only experienced righty. I’d be hesitant to move him UNTIL we know what we have in Myers.

Provorov/Ghost
Sanheim/Myers
Morin / Friedman/Hagg

That could be what we end up with in the near future. Time will tell. It’s also assumed one of our firsts this year assuming we get the StLouis pick will go to a defender. Preferably one of the righties
Understandable, if Myers is still a question mark Oilers can send Benning+ the other way to be, at the very least, a plug until Myers or someone else steps up.

Also I think there has been a study looking at the difference in GF% and CF% of over 1000 d-pairs when the dmen played opposite sides vs their natural sides and found no difference/slight edge to opposite sides (mostly because there are more lefties, thus more lefties that are actually good players.)

The reason Oilers need a RHD though is to finally move Russell away from the right side because he sucks on the opposite side with his play style (chase, retrieve and dump blindly).

But I understand the concern of having RHD depth at least.

Here’s the analysis if interested: Do defensemen play worse on their off-hand?

Reactions: pmwlker

Kingspiracy

Nov 13, 2006
I think LA would listen to offers on Ladue, not sure what the ask would be though. Any skillful young forwards lost in the numbers game over there?

pmwlker

Apr 13, 2018
Understandable, if Myers is still a question mark Oilers can send Benning+ the other way to be, at the very least, a plug until Myers or someone else steps up.

Also I think there has been a study looking at the difference in GF% and CF% of over 1000 d-pairs when the dmen played opposite sides vs their natural sides and found no difference/slight edge to opposite sides (mostly because there are more lefties, thus more lefties that are actually good players.)

The reason Oilers need a RHD though is to finally move Russell away from the right side because he sucks on the opposite side with his play style (chase, retrieve and dump blindly).

But I understand the concern of having RHD depth at least.

Here’s the analysis if interested: Do defensemen play worse on their off-hand?

Yeah Ghost plays on his offside and is just fine. Sanheim plays naturally on the left side so him and Myers makes sense. Friedman is also a righty and Hagg can play his off side. I’ll definately read the article. Thanks for sharing

Ctrain2k

Dec 3, 2016
Ah, you should have just mentioned right off the bat you don't pay attention to the Wild and have no idea what you're talking about. It would have been easier.

Carry on.

It seems the Minnesota Wild coaching staff agree with me as Dumba and Brodin are playing way more in playoffs

McVirginOil

Jun 30, 2014
I think LA would listen to offers on Ladue, not sure what the ask would be though. Any skillful young forwards lost in the numbers game over there?
If you want NHL body, the only ones I can think of is Slepyshev. Puljujarvi is a dog house favourite but I don’t think I would do him for Ladue.
In terms of prospects Oilers have an okay group of forwards, besides Yamamoto, there’s Benson, Marody (who Oilers just traded for), Vesel, all making the jump to the A and have been very good in the small sample size on the AHL. (3 in 5, 3 in 3, and 6 in 11 respectively).
Hebig and Larkin are okay but overagers and won’t be significant imo.
Younger prospects like Safin and Maksimov are also pretty good and I don’t see Oilers moving them.
Otherwise you have Slepyshev and Caggiula...basically nothing substantial hahaha

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
It seems the Minnesota Wild coaching staff agree with me as Dumba and Brodin are playing way more in playoffs

1) Spurgeon just came back from an injury after sitting out two months
2) He's babysitting Seeler (because he's more reliable than Dumba) and that means he won't play as much because the coaches would rather not have Seeler out there for 24 minutes per game
3) Sure, lets use a 4 game sample size rather than the 82 game regular season where Spurgeon was 2nd on the team in TOI, SHTOI and PPTOI behind only Suter for all three

Kingspiracy

Nov 13, 2006
If you want NHL body, the only ones I can think of is Slepyshev. Puljujarvi is a dog house favourite but I don’t think I would do him for Ladue.
In terms of prospects Oilers have an okay group of forwards, besides Yamamoto, there’s Benson, Marody (who Oilers just traded for), Vesel, all making the jump to the A and have been very good in the small sample size on the AHL. (3 in 5, 3 in 3, and 6 in 11 respectively).
Hebig and Larkin are okay but overagers and won’t be significant imo.
Younger prospects like Safin and Maksimov are also pretty good and I don’t see Oilers moving them.
Otherwise you have Slepyshev and Caggiula...basically nothing substantial hahaha

Haha, yeah much nothing that screams "must have" (Not that Ladue has shown much yet mind you). Its very hard to gauge Ladues value, he's nudging towards the "shit or get off the potty" stage. Hopefully with a playoff taster and a good offseason he'll get things going for us.

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
He literally came back Game 1 of the playoffs from a hamstring injury. Brodin and Dumba have been a pairing almost all year. Would be stupid to split them up and ruin chemistry for the entire top 4.

Ctrain2k

Dec 3, 2016
1) Spurgeon just came back from an injury after sitting out two months
2) He's babysitting Seeler (because he's more reliable than Dumba) and that means he won't play as much because the coaches would rather not have Seeler out there for 24 minutes per game
3) Sure, lets use a 4 game sample size rather than the 82 game regular season where Spurgeon was 2nd on the team in TOI, SHTOI and PPTOI behind only Suter for all three

He’s only out there because he constantly needs Suter to hold his hand.

Estlin

Sep 25, 2013
New York City
From Boston, Kevan Miller is not available, but Adam McQuaid would be. I think that the Bruins would happily take a third-round pick in return for him. Chiarelli knows McQuaid and would probably welcome the toughness and good PKing and shot-blocking that he provides.

TARS

May 3, 2009
Vancouver
Tanev for EDM 2019 1st

It should be a later pick than Edmonton’s 2018 pick, which I think better aligns with Tanev’s actual value. And the Canucks management probably love the idea of picking up an extra first for the hometown draft.

Before more Oilers fans continue jump on this about how “we don’t need Tanev”, it’s in the premise of OP’s post. He asked this specific question.

Brock Radunske

안양종합운동장 빙상장
Aug 8, 2012
No thanks would rather have those two
He is too slow
Huh? Clearly you dont watch the Leafs because Zaitsev is an excellent skater.
Regardless as to what that one poster said, the Leafs won't be trading him for a cap dump and a 2nd.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Tanev for EDM 2019 1st

It should be a later pick than Edmonton’s 2018 pick, which I think better aligns with Tanev’s actual value. And the Canucks management probably love the idea of picking up an extra first for the hometown draft.

Before more Oilers fans continue jump on this about how “we don’t need Tanev”, it’s in the premise of OP’s post. He asked this specific question.

Would not do 2018 1st for Tanev. Would entertain 2019.

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
CGY offers:
RD Dougie Hamilton
LD Brett Kulak
2018 4th Round Pick

Edmonton offers:
2018 First Round Pick
RW Kailer Yamamoto
RW Jesse Puljujarvi
LD Oscar Klefbom
RW Leon Draisaitl @ 45% retained

I like both teams . The Oilers more but I always cheer for AB teams . If you think this is fair value you should give up watching hockey or better yet give up the video game trades . They don't work in real life

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: ujju2

McVirginOil

Jun 30, 2014
A1913BF0749249898C137100A79A4071-0:0

Here is Spurgeon’s 5v5 Stats if y’all are so interested, he’s shooting less this year but he’s still moving the puck forward very well. He’s been given a little more offensive draws with negligible decrease in Quality of Competition/Quality of teammates and he killed it this year. Crazy good dman

[MOD]

Last edited by a moderator:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad