A question for the NHLPA supporters

Status
Not open for further replies.

degroat*

hockeytown9321 said:
You attack my arguments, but you don't give any examples of where I'm going wrong. All I ever hear is that the current system is unfair, so a cap makes it fair.

You're the one that keeps bringing up that current system in a horribly failed attempt to say that the same problems that exist now would exist under a cap.

hockeytown9321

Jun 18, 2004
Stich said:
Now: Every year the same teams have money to blow on FA's.

Cap: Every year different teams have money to blow on FA's.

But those different teams are still going to rob the teams with no cap room of their players.

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
hockeytown9321 said:
They have no chance to keep them under a cap. Detroit's payroll is high because they kept their good and great draft picks. there's no way they could've done it under a cap. How many All Stars did Edmonton have in the 80's? That team would've been broken up after 85.

You're assuming that salaries would continue to increase with the same inflationary things such as rookie contracts with silly bonus clauses, arbitration, qualifiers, moronic contracts etc.. under a cap system. Loopholes from the last CBA that resulted in much of the escalation. It is doubtful that would be the case. Under a Cap system does Doug Weight make $8 mil? perhaps but doubtful. But there is no way in hell Todd Marchant makes $3 million.

Under the current CBA if the only difference to a new one was that there was a cap of $45-50 mil no Detroit still wouldn't be able to keep the players they did. but that's the whole thing...the new CBA should be drastically different and the internal inflationary pressures eliminated. The only inflationary pressure will become revenue growth. GMs will have to manage the roster and construct a team. There is nothing wrong with that.

To address a rpevious question...teams remain at the top of the standings for several years. Indinapolis, Green Bay, MIami, tennessee, St. Louis, Philly, Tampa Bay, New England all teams that have made the playoffs in ATLEAST 3 of the past 5 years. No dynasties but dynasties are done in the NHL as well. Plenty of teams have been abyssmal in 3 or more of the past 5 years. The NFL teams go through rebuild and success cycles.

hockeytown9321

Jun 18, 2004
Stich said:
You're the one that keeps bringing up that current system in a horribly failed attempt to say that the same problems that exist now would exist under a cap.

No, I repeat what I'm told the major problem with the current sytem is, and then show you why a cap does not solve those problems.

degroat*

hockeytown9321 said:
But those different teams are still going to rob the teams with no cap room of their players.

I guess I'll just concede in this debate because there is no logical way to respond to such an absurd comment. If you have actually convinced yourself that each team being able to spend the same $X on players every year is bad for the league, then there is no changing your mind.

degroat*

hockeytown9321 said:
No, I repeat what I'm told the major problem with the current sytem is, and then show you why a cap does not solve those problems.

You haven't shown that at all. There is absolutely no comparison between the New York Rangers and other big market teams spending a lot of money on free agents every year and the teams with the highest cap room available spending money on free agents every year. No logical thinking person could conclude there is any comparison what-so-ever.

hockeytown9321

Jun 18, 2004
tantalum said:
You're assuming that salaries would continue to increase with the same inflationary things such as rookie contracts with silly bonus clauses, arbitration, qualifiers, moronic contracts etc.. under a cap system. Loopholes from the last CBA that resulted in much of the escalation. It is doubtful that would be the case. Under a Cap system does Doug Weight make $8 mil? perhaps but doubtful. But there is no way in hell Todd Marchant makes $3 million.

Under the current CBA if the only difference to a new one was that there was a cap of $45-50 mil no Detroit still wouldn't be able to keep the players they did. but that's the whole thing...the new CBA should be drastically different and the internal inflationary pressures eliminated. The only inflationary pressure will become revenue growth. GMs will have to manage the roster and construct a team. There is nothing wrong with that.

To address a rpevious question...teams remain at the top of the standings for several years. Indinapolis, Green Bay, MIami, tennessee, St. Louis, Philly, Tampa Bay, New England all teams that have made the playoffs in ATLEAST 3 of the past 5 years. No dynasties but dynasties are done in the NHL as well. Plenty of teams have been abyssmal in 3 or more of the past 5 years. The NFL teams go through rebuild and success cycles.

Some NFL teams like the Lions go through continuous rebuilding. I don't see Miami being near the top this year. Nor St. Louis or Tampa. New England has already lost key players off their team due to a cap. Philly's remaining time is short. GB has rebulit pretty well, but they are nowhere near as good as they were in the mid 90's. Tennesee was forced to get rid of a player who had played his entire career for the franchise due to the cap.

I'm sure NHL contracts will go down under a cap. But I think its totally within reason to assume one team will be able to offer $1-2 million more for a star than your team can, and he's gone.

hockeytown9321

Jun 18, 2004
Stich said:
I guess I'll just concede in this debate because there is no logical way to respond to such an absurd comment. If you have actually convinced yourself that each team being able to spend the same $X on players every year is bad for the league, then there is no changing your mind.

They can't spend the same amount every year. I'll break it down very simply: There is a $31 million cap. I have $30 million in salary committed, thus I have $1 million in cap space. You have $29 million in salary committed, thus you have $2 million in cap space. Since 1 does not equal 2, we are not operating on the same budget.

degroat*

hockeytown9321 said:
They can't spend the same amount every year. I'll break it down very simply: There is a $31 million cap. I have $30 million in salary committed, thus I have $1 million in cap space. You have $29 million in salary committed, thus you have $2 million in cap space. Since 1 does not equal 2, we are not operating on the same budget.

First of all, learn the definition of the word budget. Your budget would be the same as mine: $31M.

Secondly, why in the hell are you trying to argue that all teams should get to spend the same amount every offseason? :lol

Tom_Benjamin

Sep 8, 2003
www.canuckscorner.com
Stich said:
Why would a hard cap would be bad for the NHL?

The idea is being put forward by Gary Bettman. Can you name one thing he has done that has been good for the NHL? I hate cap systems. I like great teams. I don't like tons of player movement and cap systems have tons of player movement.

Give me the choice that Bettman pretends we have:

a) A cap system and 30 teams

b) Status quo and teams fold.

Goodbye Mickey Mouse markets. This is a no-brainer. I cannot understand anyone who would suggest otherwise. You are asking me to give up hockey for a year or two to keep Edmonton and Pittsburgh and Buffalo and Florida in the NHL? In another life. Hockey has been priced out of Edmonton? Who cares outside Edmonton?

They can pony up more money or the fans can lose their team. Why should the rest of us pay to keep them around? The result would be a stronger league.

I am really getting angry about whining fans in small markets who expect to get the best hockey in the world without paying for it. They want someone else to pay for it via revenue sharing or the players to pay for it by taking less than they would if the Mickey Mouse markets did not exist.

Why should we? Why should the players? Why should these markets drag the league down? I'll be a lot happier listening to Oiler fans whine about the team they lost - I will ignore them like everyone ignores Winnipeg fans today - than listening to them whine about how bad the NHL is as a sports league.

Fans who don't like what they see - fans who don't care whether there is hockey this season or next - aren't really hockey fans. Who needs them? Who wants a system that subsidizes markets that aren't good enough for big time hockey?

Why isn't contraction - by bankruptcy - the best option if the league is in such big trouble? If Edmonton can't afford a payroll that is higher than it is today, tough. Either live with it or fold the team.

Tom

Feb 12, 2003
MikeC44 said:
So basically, it's not a hard cap. It's a cap with IR exemptions, franchise player exmeptions, development exemptions. And any other exemptions that are needed to fix anyone's answers to 'Why a hard cap is bad for the NHL'.

My proposal has no IR exemptions, not any other exemptions other than the two I listed. If you wish to summarize it with other posts in the thread, that is your proposal then :p:

hockeytown9321 said:
10 years is a bit high, unless all entry level deals are 10 years. I think the Larry Bird rule is 3 years in the league and those rights get traded with a player, so I could acquire a free agent in the last year of his deal, but I can go over the cap becuase I have his Bird rights.

I personally like the conservative 10 year limit rather than a liberal 3 year limit. Guys like Pronger & Stevens are franchise players, and have played on their existing teams for like 10 years. I think players of this level deserve the exemption more than players who have played 1/3 that tenure with the same team. If you look at players like Shanahan for Detroit, I don't see why he would deserve an exemption from the cap, nor do I see a reason for Pierre Turgeon in Dallas or Alex Yashin in New York. That's totally debateable though, as are the developmental exemption requirements, I just told you my opinion on the matter. I would agree to 7-9 years as well frankly (Naslund 9 years, Stevens 13, Pronger 9, Iginla 9, Sundin 10, Demitra 8, Satan 8, etc). I would also say that the expansion teams could keep their expansion picks as exempt as well. It would make a difference if you look at the overall numbers, and if you can find a good number to cap out at.

Just to clarify, I am saying that a guy like Wade Redden would be exempt from the cap for the Sens because he started his NHL career with the team. You could even give a little and say that as long as among their first 82 games are played with that team, they get the exemption.

looooob

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
BlackRedGold said:
Because the calibre of play would be diminished. A game between two great teams provides the best hockey in the world. Last year the best regular season game I watched was an amazing game between Ottawa and Tampa. Under a salary cap, the chances of seeing such an amazing game are remote since there won't be any teams that will be able to have a roster with the amount of talent that Tampa and Ottawa have.
weren't Tampa and Ottawa both modest payroll teams last year? they would have both been under any sort of reasonable cap figure

now I agree with you, keeping these teams intact year after year in a hard cap world might be a different story

for the record I'm not necessarily a hard cap proponent, I'm just not seeing how a hard cap (of say 40M) would have prevented the 03-04 Senators from playing an exciting game against the 03-04 Lightning

bling

Jun 23, 2004
Tom_Benjamin said:
The idea is being put forward by Gary Bettman. Can you name one thing he has done that has been good for the NHL? I hate cap systems. I like great teams. I don't like tons of player movement and cap systems have tons of player movement.

Goodbye Mickey Mouse markets. This is a no-brainer. I cannot understand anyone who would suggest otherwise. You are asking me to give up hockey for a year or two to keep Edmonton and Pittsburgh and Buffalo and Florida in the NHL? In another life. Hockey has been priced out of Edmonton? Who cares outside Edmonton?

They can pony up more money or the fans can lose their team. Why should the rest of us pay to keep them around? The result would be a stronger league.

I am really getting angry about whining fans in small markets who expect to get the best hockey in the world without paying for it. They want someone else to pay for it via revenue sharing or the players to pay for it by taking less than they would if the Mickey Mouse markets did not exist.

Why should we? Why should the players? Why should these markets drag the league down? I'll be a lot happier listening to Oiler fans whine about the team they lost - I will ignore them like everyone ignores Winnipeg fans today - than listening to them whine about how bad the NHL is as a sports league.

Fans who don't like what they see - fans who don't care whether there is hockey this season or next - aren't really hockey fans. Who needs them? Who wants a system that subsidizes markets that aren't good enough for big time hockey?

Why isn't contraction - by bankruptcy - the best option if the league is in such big trouble? If Edmonton can't afford a payroll that is higher than it is today, tough. Either live with it or fold the team.

Tom

First and only intelligent post on this whole f'ing thread.
Marry me Tom_ Benjamin :D

hockeytown9321

Jun 18, 2004
Stich said:
First of all, learn the definition of the word budget. Your budget would be the same as mine: $31M.

Secondly, why in the hell are you trying to argue that all teams should get to spend the same amount every offseason? :lol

Because otherwise its not "fair".

And here's the definition of the word budget for you: "the sum of money allocated for a particular purpose or time period". If I have allocated $30 million for a season (a particular time period) and you have allocated $29 million for the same time period, we have different budgets. Looking at it from a different angle, I can allocate an additional $1 million for the next season, while you can allocate $2 million.

Let me put in terms you can understand. If I have 1 apple and you have 2 apples, you have 1 more apple than me. We don't have an "equal" number of apples. If someone comes along and asks for an apple, I can give him a portion of mine, or you can give him your entire additional apple. Depedning on hungry he is, he has to choose between 1\2 an apple or a full apple. If he is hungry, or really likes apples, he is going to choose the full apple. You have an advantage over me.

hockeytown9321

Jun 18, 2004
Tom_Benjamin said:

Tom

:handclap:

Amen.

Why should we have a system that rewards ineptitude and punishes greatness. Instead of trying to figure out a way to drag the entire league to down its lowest member's level, why not try and bring all teams up to the level of the best.

degroat*

Tom_Benjamin said:

Tom

Not one single thing you said came close to answering my question.

Last edited by a moderator:

degroat*

hockeytown9321 said:
Because otherwise its not "fair".

And here's the definition of the word budget for you: "the sum of money allocated for a particular purpose or time period".

You mean like how we'd both have $31M to use for players over the period of one season?

Let me put it in terms you can understand. We're roommates. We both start with 31 apples. You eat all of yours and now have 0 left. I eat 30 of mine and now have 1 left. Now you want an apple, but you're SOL because you already ate all of yours.

According to your logic even though I have one apple remaining because I didn't eat that last apple you should get another apple simply because I still have one more left.

thinkwild

Veni Vidi Toga
Jul 29, 2003
Ottawa
Stich said:

Then you are asking the wrong questions.

If Calgary and Tampa Bay had no options in the market to use to their advantage to build a great team, you might have a case for unfairness.

But if Ottawa and Toronto can both compete using 2 different strategies, neither guaranteed to win you a Cup faster, then the problem is solved.

Dont prevent the spending, prevent its effectiveness in giving an unfair advantage.

Teams must build a champ. No one could buy a team to beat the great teams Colorado and Detroit built. Except NJ. And now Tampa Bay. THis is a good thing. Calgary cant buy the players needed to beat a team that has developed, they must develop their own Forsberg Sakic from scratch. The hard way. Like everyone else. Regardless of money.

Team building this way is fun and creates a great bond with fans. It takes time too. But is fair.

You dont make everyone equal, you give everyone equal opportunity to become great.

And remember people around the NFL are questioning the parity monster they have created. Fans are. And certainly all players are. Their next negotiation seems destined for contensiousness.

How do you respond to the concerns of this NFL fan.

The downside of parity

The other leagues are supposed to be jealous.

The NFL hails parity as a way to keep the casual fan interested because it prolongs the local team's odds of making the playoffs. And once there, anyone can beat anyone - for proof, just read down the list of recent Super Bowl champs. Rams. Ravens. Patriots. A who's-who of preseason chumps and historical pariahs that made it to Disneyland, providing legions of once-forlorn fans a reason to finally rejoice.

But to hell with parity - I miss the juggernauts. I miss watching teams dominate the regular season, creating a playoff atmosphere dripping with anticipation and the chance for eternal grid-iron glory. Those playoff games were events, match-ups of incredible teams that could give rise to that other d-word, dynasty. Dynasties, or the threat of them, make the playoffs that much more enticing.

And I'm not that picky. I don't need a team to win the whole enchilada every year. I just want prolonged excellence. The Purple People Eaters, the K-Gun Offense - they both failed in four Super Bowls, but I'll take any of it these days. Dynasties brought you the Immaculate Reception, the West Coast Offense, and the NFL's all-time leading rusher. Love them or hate them, great teams are exciting. They bring out passion, fervor, exhilaration. They bring you the NFL we know and love.

Parity, on the other hand, has brought you ... well, it's brought you this year's NFL.

The problem, of course, is that it's symptomatic of mediocrity - everybody gets their eight wins because nobody is any good. You like statistics? No team in the AFC won 70% their games this year. That means the best teams in the AFC are about as likely to win a game as Shaq is to hit a free throw. Records are meaningless, which helps explain why the 9-7 Jets beat the 10-6 Colts 41-0 in the first round. It means there are no juggernaut match-ups, no unplug-the-phone games to anticipate and savor. No NFL that we know and love.

That doesn't mean all the playoff games will be bad. Pittsburgh's tough win over the Browns was terrific, as was the Giants win/loss at San Francisco (and I'm sorry, but any team that blows a 24-point lead shouldn't complain about the refs missing the last play). But as nice it is to see a good football game, I just wish it wasn't because the teams are equally average. I'd rather watch great games between great teams, games that people will remember and talk about years from now. Those match-ups are harder and harder to come by these days.

There's a joke going around that Paul Tagliabue can die happy when every team in the league finishes 8-8. Good luck, Paul - one conference down, one to go.

Tom_Benjamin

Sep 8, 2003
www.canuckscorner.com
Stich said:

I explained exactly why I hate caps. The intent is to eliminate great teams. It creates tons of player movement. It punishes the fans in places where there money is being invested wisely.

It would be bad for the NHL because everything Gary Bettman has ever done is bad for the NHL. He wants a cap, so a cap is obviously bad.

Bettman himself lays out the choice for us. If the incompetent boob is right and that is the choice - this move is necessary to prevent teams from folding - then the best answer for the NHL is clearly to fold some teams. According to Bettman, the weak links are dragging the league to oblivion. It is pointless to invent a system to prevent it. Let the market has speak. Get rid of the non-performing divisions. Any good CEO would do exactly that. Take from the performers and give to the inept? That's business heresy. How can you justify that in any industry?

Give me one good reason why contraction by attrition is not the best answer all the way around. The top teams extract the huge dollars from their fanbase. Those fans have a right to see the money on the ice. Punish them because Oiler fans are mewling about how they can't (or won't) pay the arm and a leg Red Wing fans do?

Why? I need a business reason. I need a reason that does not defy common sense. Let the teams that want to continue carry on and fold the ones that don't. Don't subsidize them, not with money from fans in other cities and not with money from the players. If Buffalo is big league, they play. If not, not.

Wouldn't the league be stronger without these financial bottom feeders? Explain why not.

Tom

degroat*

thinkwild said:
Then you are asking the wrong questions.

LOL!! I asked the question that I wanted the answer to.

As I said in the very first post in this thread, I don't want to know why there shouldn't be a cap.

I want to know why a cap would be bad for the NHL.

Nothing he said answered that question.

degroat*

Tom_Benjamin said:
It would be bad for the NHL because everything Gary Bettman has ever done is bad for the NHL. He wants a cap, so a cap is obviously bad.

:lol:

Let's assume for a second that anything that Bettman has ever done has been bad for the NHL... do you realize how ridiculous your logic is?

Now, let's talk about what Gary Bettman has done for the league:

1. National TV deal increased from $17M per year to the $60M per year the league would have gotten this upcoming season.
2. Average attendance increased from around 14,000 per game to 16,500 per game despite the fact that many of the teams that have been added since then are below average.
3. Total revenue the league generates has increased from $500M to $2 Billion and even more if you trust the players, as you clearly do.

There is absolutely no denying that under Bettman the sport has grown considerably in terms of revenue production.

If everything Bettman had done for the NHL had been bad, the owners would have fired him a long time ago. There's a reason why he not only still has a job but has the backing of the owners during these labor negotations... because he has performed his job very well.

habitual_hab

Jan 24, 2004
bc
Stich said:
Let's assume for a second that anything that Bettman has ever done has been bad for the NHL... do you realize how ridiculous your logic is?

Now, let's talk about what Gary Bettman has done for the league:

1. National TV deal increased from $17M per year to the $60M per year the league would have gotten this upcoming season.
2. Average attendance increased from around 14,000 per game to 16,500 per game despite the fact that many of the teams that have been added since then are below average.
3. Total revenue the league generates has increased from $500M to $2 Billion and even more if you trust the players, as you clearly do.

There is absolutely no denying that under Bettman the sport has grown considerably in terms of revenue production.

If everything Bettman had done for the NHL had been bad, the owners would have fired him a long time ago. There's a reason why he not only still has a job but has the backing of the owners during these labor negotations... because he has performed his job very well.

So the cries of poverty are just a negotiating ploy...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad