A Question for CHL scouts..

Kevin Forbes

Jul 29, 2002
Nova Scotia
www.kforbesy.ca
I'm not a CHL scout, but from my understanding, they would generally start looking at players a year before their draft year, so for example, this offseason '91 born players will be drafted, so all season scouts would have kept an eye on the '91s and also start looking at the '92s

hfboardsuser

Nov 18, 2004
While there are scouts at elite Peewee events such as the Quebec tournament, they really don't come out in full force until the first year of Bantam. Heck, my brother plays Bantam B and had the odd Dub scout throughout the year.

scoutman1

Twitter - scoutman33
Feb 19, 2005
www.facebook.com
Hey everyone,

A cousin of mine is playing peewee major A hockey right now, so I was just wondering what age scouts start to look at prospects for their Junior clubs.

Thanks.

yes I start in Bantam...its always good to see how a player develops from bantam to Midget the following year, Bantam is essential to scout because you go into the next season with players to watch, and then it brodens from there.

Redwingsfan

Global Moderator
Jul 15, 2006
yes I start in Bantam...its always good to see how a player develops from bantam to Midget the following year, Bantam is essential to scout because you go into the next season with players to watch, and then it brodens from there.

are you a CHL scout????

scoutman1

Twitter - scoutman33
Feb 19, 2005
www.facebook.com
are you a CHL scout????

yes I am, I have been a scout for sometime now, but I keep who I work for and who I am kind of hidden so I can post free on this board which is what got me started in scouting in the first place. As you can tell I usually reply about NHL drafts because I can, but I really don't talk about up and coming QMJHL prospects from Midget except for the really good ones who are known to everyone.

LaLaLaprise

lalalaprise -twitter
Feb 28, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Who stood out for you the most, who do you think will be drafted this june ?

Thats a pretty loaded question as over 200 players are going to be drafted this summer.

Guys that stood out:

Dartmouth - Roski (dman), Beaton, Morin,

C-Town - Willis, Carmichael, Dyment, Beck, Campbell

Fredericton - Tomah, Munn, MacIntosh, Eagles, Allen

Cornwall - Gallant, Brett MacDonald

St-John's - Downer, Caines, Earle, Yetman, Parfrey, McGuirk, MacRoberts, Caul

elvisisalive

Feb 20, 2007
I thought Earle was the best player in the tourney. What about MacIsaac from Chtn, I had him pegged as the second top forward. And Munn really stood out for me on D, he showed a lot more skating ability that I had given him credit for in the past.

studley49

Oct 8, 2003
Flinton/Toronto, ON
Visit site
Hey Mr. HPO man, I've visited your site a few times and have seen that you do both OHL and Q scouting......if my cousin does get drafted, it'll probably be a team in the O...

how early do those teams start their scouting? do you agree with Scoutman?

LaLaLaprise

lalalaprise -twitter
Feb 28, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Hey Mr. HPO man, I've visited your site a few times and have seen that you do both OHL and Q scouting......if my cousin does get drafted, it'll probably be a team in the O...

how early do those teams start their scouting? do you agree with Scoutman?

I agree with Scoutman.

Its like NHL scouts who watch players at 16 in the CHL and then see how they develop to age 17...it gives you an idea of progression.

So for CHL scouts, its good to see the players at 14, and then see their progression to age 15.

LaLaLaprise

lalalaprise -twitter
Feb 28, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
I thought Earle was the best player in the tourney. What about MacIsaac from Chtn, I had him pegged as the second top forward. And Munn really stood out for me on D, he showed a lot more skating ability that I had given him credit for in the past.

McIsaac was ok...he didnt play at the top of his game though. Some bad luck mostly as he worked hard just couldnt get any bounces.

And I agree...Earle was dominant...

Munn...overall his skills arent bad, but at 5'11 225 (hes probably more than 225) his fitness level will have to improve if he wants to play Junior hockey.

elvisisalive

Feb 20, 2007
It was fun watching Munn play. Earlier in the year faster players were walking around him like a tree trunk. it didn't happen in this tourny, I found his lateral movement and overall skating to be much improved since I last watched him around xmas time. And yes I wonder just how good his fitness level is. I'm still thinking of recommending him with the thought of putting him on a strict regiment over the summer. I just got a kick watching him pushing the opposing players around like paper dolls. MacIsaac's numbers sure didn't reflect his effort, but I think he's a safe bet to be picked somewhere.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->