A Proper World Cup

gwh

Mar 4, 2013
IIHF cup is enough and olympics is plenty.

NHL couldn't even sell tickets to the last one so there is no market and money in NHL world cup.

Reactions: varsaku

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
Like in 1996 and 2004
exactly.

they make 2 divisions of 4 teams each.

obviously the US and Canada play in the same division, and usually Slovakia and either Czech, Germany, or whoever fits the last team in that division.

then you have the European division, where all their games should be held in Europe until the cross over rounds - that would build plenty of excitment, buildings likely packed as those countries want to see their own players play - Russia, Finland, Sweden, and Germany...

Division 1 - plays in North America
Canada
USA
Slovakia
Czech Slovakia

Division 2 - plays in Europe until cross over
Russia
Sweden
Finland
Germany

top 3 teams in each division move on, with #1 seed in each getting a bye

then when medal play begins, have both Canada and US cities hold this thing - 4 cities - 2 in Canada (obviously Toronto and maybe Montreal) and 2 in the US (Philly and Chicago)...

this would be my perfect World Cup....

Reactions: Uncle Rotter

JETZZZ

Oct 27, 2010
Winnipeg Manitoba
Ok I have changed my idea a little from my earlier post:

-NHL run World Cup in February, top 12 teams ranked by IIHF by the previous World Championship automatically qualify. Tournament preliminary/elimination games run exactly like the Winter Olympics over 3 weeks. Only differences are that Its under NHL rules. Also, OT in elimination games will be decided by sudden death, no shootout. But as long as it is best-on-best (NO GIMMICK TEAMS), I can tolerate silly uniform ads and weird adidas jerseys. As long as the NHL is happy with their share of the 20 something games worth of revenue.

-NHLPA will use their share of the revenue from this WCoH to pay travel/insurance for Olympic Participation. This gives us 2 best on best tournaments every 2 years, one under IIHF rules, one Under NHL rules. Both in February when the players are still in game shape, both in winter also seems to make perfect sense too.

-Why would the NHL be ok with losing 2 all star games every 4 years? because that's 4 events in total being lost (2 skills competitions, 2 games), and they gain +20 WCoH games worth of revenue which more than makes up for it. Also having an all star weekend every 2 years instead of 1 may make people a little less sick of them.

-How would the other leagues in europe be ok with stopping for a WCoH in February? From what I can tell, all those leagues are under their national federations, which make up the IIHF. The IIHF clearly wants the NHL to participate in the Olympics, and if these circumstances will allow it, im sure they will do what they can to have non NHLers released for the WCoH. (Im honestly not sure if the IIHF has that kind of authority over european leagues. Anyone here know?)

-Why would the NHL be ok with a 3 week break in the season for international play every 2 years? Main reason is they'll make more money from having a guaranteed WCoH every 4 years, they don't have to pay a cent of their own money to get NHL players to the Olympics, and they still play an 82 game season every year.

-Why would the PA pay their own Olympic costs with the WCoH revenue? Seeing as the vast majority of the players to play in such a World Cup would also be the same kind of players selected for their Olympic teams, it seems pretty fair)

PatrikBerglund

May 29, 2017
I want a shortened NHL season once every 6 years, to have a real show-down between the best of the best.

Canada
Sweden
USA
Russia
Finland
Czech Rep
+ 2 of the rest, from pre-tournament.

First a straight series where everyone faces everyone twice.

Then the top 4 teams face off in semi-finals.

Semis: best of 5.

Finals: best of 7.

This would be epic.

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012
I want a shortened NHL season once every 6 years, to have a real show-down between the best of the best.

Canada
Sweden
USA
Russia
Finland
Czech Rep
+ 2 of the rest, from pre-tournament.

First a straight series where everyone faces everyone twice.

Then the top 4 teams face off in semi-finals.

Semis: best of 5.

Finals: best of 7.

This would be epic.

not the worst idea I've ever heard. and what point of the season would you like to see this? Delay the start of the season in October in favor of this format or mid-season, in February? All sponsors and broadcasters have to do is prove that such a tournament to kick off a season provides greater profits than an entire month of 31-32 NHL team schedule

I would be opposed to this format if they schedule it at the conclusion of the SC playoffs.

PatrikBerglund

May 29, 2017
not the worst idea I've ever heard. and what point of the season would you like to see this? Delay the start of the season in October in favor of this format or mid-season, in February? All sponsors and broadcasters have to do is prove that such a tournament to kick off a season provides greater profits than an entire month of 31-32 NHL team schedule

I would be opposed to this format if they schedule it at the conclusion of the SC playoffs.

December?

Howie Hodge

Zombie Woof
Sep 16, 2017
Buffalo, NY
There are simply not enough Nations/Countries playing hockey at a high enough level to have a true world Cup.

A great tournament? Yes.

But not a World Cup.

eternalbedhead

Let's not rebuild and say we did
Aug 10, 2015
Corona, CA
I don't think we'll ever reach the level that soccer has reached on the international level, but the World Cup should still be our model.

This last World Cup with the overflow of gimmicks was not what the doctor ordered.

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
They should copy the format of the 1996 World Cup in terms of tournament structure. No shootout. Qualifying games aren't realistic given that the NHL doesn't have an international break, but the IIHF rankings are sufficient for this purpose. Perhaps have a play-in game for the eighth spot.

You really want to up the ante and have great quality, just have 6 teams. They are the same 6 teams everyone would have. Have them play each other once, top 4 advance in a 1 vs. 4 2 vs. 3 format. Hey, they did it that way at the Canada Cups and it worked.

But if people want more teams in there at least have 5 in each division. So 10 teams. That way you are playing 4 round robin games. 3 is just too little to play in my opinion.

Lastly, no gimmick teams. Sure the fans under 20 loved it, but the rest of us remember a time when winning was something you actually would strive for and having a tournament like that meant excellent rivalries and animosity.

cg98

Oct 10, 2017
My Idea

Two groups, one in NA and one in EU like 2004. The best 3 finishers in their respective groups move onto playoffs, while the group winners have semi-final byes.

Either host the tournament in mid-late September or like someone said up above, replace the All-Star game every 4 years with the tournament (personally I'd prefer to host it in September even though that has it's problems too).

A great idea would be to host selection camps and use the tournament exhibition games to determine the final cuts and whatnot. I feel that selection camps would further motivate the players into making their respective nations teams and elevate play in the tournament.

+Host a qualifying tournament for the two fill in nations.

NA Pool:
Canada
Russia
United States
Qualifier #1 (Switzerland)

EU Pool:
Czech Republic
Finland
Sweden
Qualifier #2 (Germany)

Schedule:
NA Pool Games-