A new NHL or NHLPA proposal?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
Alan Hahn of Newsday indicated there is a new proposal in the works which has not been placed on the table

Multiple sources said they believe there is a potential season-saving proposal not yet placed on the table that would include the union's 24-percent contract rollback offer from Dec. 9 coupled with the implementation of a salary cap over time -- perhaps three to four years.

But reason for pessimism undoubtedly lies in the words of NHLPA senior director Ted Saskin, who in a release on Monday confirming today's meeting felt it necessary to point out that the union is "committed to reaching a fair deal that does not include a salary cap." Another league source downplayed the newest proposal by saying the league can't afford to go forward, even a few seasons, without a cap.

There has been a growing number of players and agents who are starting to think that if the league is going to eventually implement a salary cap, the union might as well start negotiating to get the best terms from it.

"We hear there is a contingent of players who have the mind-set you describe," an NHL source said. "Hopefully, it's not too late."

http://www.newsday.com/sports/hockey/ny-spnhl194119488jan19,0,1687824.story?coll=ny-sports-headlines

Isles72

Feb 27, 2002
Canada
http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/article.jsp;jsessionid=NJIGODAEONOI?content=20050119_015720_1312

Here's one from an industry source who didn't want his name or job mentioned: an eight-year "hybrid" agreement that basically works off an improved players' offer for the first four years and then evolves into the league's fixed-link system for the last four years. Both Bettman and Goodenow could save face.

A number of owner-friendly improvements would be made in the areas of entry-level contracts, qualifying offers for restricted free agents and salary arbitration, but the key component would be a dollar-for-dollar tax on payrolls over $38 million US. At that point, the luxury tax basically becomes a soft cap given that few clubs would want to get dinged at such an exorbitant rate.

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
These new "ideas" aren't anything other than a grandfathering clause to get to the cap. Something that was probably expected by most people in the first place.

Lanny MacDonald*

I don't see how this would work. I don't believe the owners are willing to absorb another eight years of losses to attain a cap. They could easily tell the players to take a walk, wait them out, and crush them in eight months as the lemmings pour over the cliff back to work for what ever the owners put in place. The drop dead date for players is likely the start of October and that's when the majority of the players will be itching to get back to work and make a pay check. Agents will probably be pushing just as hard to get a deal done and their cash flow going again. To me, the owners have the players by the nuts and it makes no sense for them to let go. What's the other option for the players? Go play in Europe for 1/10th of what they would be paid here? Getting the deal suggested would be a dream for the players and a massive tactical mistake, worse than the one made in 1994. The owners have the players cornered, they should take advantage of it.

Bruwinz37

Feb 27, 2002
RangerBoy said:
Alan Hahn of Newsday indicated there is a new proposal in the works which has not been placed on the table

Multiple sources said they believe there is a potential season-saving proposal not yet placed on the table that would include the union's 24-percent contract rollback offer from Dec. 9 coupled with the implementation of a salary cap over time -- perhaps three to four years.

But reason for pessimism undoubtedly lies in the words of NHLPA senior director Ted Saskin, who in a release on Monday confirming today's meeting felt it necessary to point out that the union is "committed to reaching a fair deal that does not include a salary cap." Another league source downplayed the newest proposal by saying the league can't afford to go forward, even a few seasons, without a cap.

There has been a growing number of players and agents who are starting to think that if the league is going to eventually implement a salary cap, the union might as well start negotiating to get the best terms from it.

"We hear there is a contingent of players who have the mind-set you describe," an NHL source said. "Hopefully, it's not too late."

http://www.newsday.com/sports/hockey/ny-spnhl194119488jan19,0,1687824.story?coll=ny-sports-headlines

If the NHLPA puts an offer that includes 24% rollback AND a gradual cap then the NHL would be fools not to take that. It gives them immediate relief and the cap they want for the long term. If this is offered and rejected then I will even start to question their motive.

eye

Feb 17, 2003
around the 49th para
Visit site
Bettman gave his word on cost certainty to many new owners, some of which saved current franchises from going under. Any offer that does not include some form of cost linkage between revenue and palyer costs will be turned down flat.

trahans99

Apr 7, 2004
Home of the 2005 Memorial Cup
If they can get a 1:1 luxury tax at 35m and a hard cap over the next 2-3 years, bettman would have to take a long and hard look at it. IMO he'd end up taking it, he doesn't want to have the NHL as the only pro sport to never play a game for an entire season. he doens't want to leave that kind of legacy as he'd be the one to announce the season has been cancelled.

eye

Feb 17, 2003
around the 49th para
Visit site
trahans99 said:
If they can get a 1:1 luxury tax at 35m and a hard cap over the next 2-3 years, bettman would have to take a long and hard look at it. IMO he'd end up taking it, he doesn't want to have the NHL as the only pro sport to never play a game for an entire season. he doens't want to leave that kind of legacy as he'd be the one to announce the season has been cancelled.

I agree but do you really believe Goodenow will agree to a proposal like this that actually makes sense for all concerned? The only way Goodenow agrees to this or any similar type offer is if the players have the balls to actually speak up for themselves against Bob.

Isles72

Feb 27, 2002
Canada
I kinda like the hybrid idea of implementing a cap in year 5 of a 8 year deal .

it would really force the nhlpa to try and become more and more of a partner with the nhl as time progresses towards year 5 of the agreement .It would be in the nhlpa's best interests to make the game as marketable as possible during the first 4 years of the agreement because they will want to help the league grow revenues as their future paychecks will be a direct result of revenues .

naturally the 24 % rollback and other concessions (rookie bonus,QO's,Arbitration)would have to be tweaked in order to get the owners to think that salaries would be kept ''in check'' /or ''dragged'' during the first 4 years of the agreement .The eventual link /cap in year 5 will keep gm's from overspending and it will give plenty of rebuilding time for the teams with current high payrolls to adjust to the new climate .

during the first 4 years of the agreement , the nhlpa will really have a good gauge on what revenues really are / or what the nhl considers as revenue .

I dunno , just makes sense to me as it allows the nhlpa to agree to a cap on their terms and gives owners time to smarten up and get ready for a capped world in season 5 .

trahans99

Apr 7, 2004
eye said:
I agree but do you really believe Goodenow will agree to a proposal like this that actually makes sense for all concerned? The only way Goodenow agrees to this or any similar type offer is if the players have the balls to actually speak up for themselves against Bob.

Thats the scary thing, I don't think he would but he would be under alot of pressure to. In the end, I think the deal would get done as many players might start speaking out in that case.

F. Duchemin

Feb 28, 2002
St-Hilaire
since the season is shorter, it isnt a 24% rollback on salaries but 9% cause season lenght will be of 70 games.

Just wanted to point it out cause i saw someone still according big importance to the 24% number.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
trahans99 said:
Thats the scary thing, I don't think he would but he would be under alot of pressure to. In the end, I think the deal would get done as many players might start speaking out in that case.

All Pierre Dagenais has to do is call TSN and send them tapes of Goodenow leaving messages on his answering machine telling him to retract statements and shut the hell up and this will speed up real fast.

trahans99

Apr 7, 2004
go kim johnsson said:
All Pierre Dagenais has to do is call TSN and send them tapes of Goodenow leaving messages on his answering machine telling him to retract statements and shut the hell up and this will speed up real fast.

:lol :lol :lol

That would be frickin hilarious :lol :lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->